Plywood cutting tutorial

CECAA850

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Pics you will have, patience you must possess.

There should be something for me to post in a couple weeks, stay tuned.

Well, it's been a couple weeks and things are getting back to semi normalcy. the first shot is how I set my circular saw to cut the beveled ends. The plans tell you what degree the angles should be cut at.

post-15193-13819801145604_thumb.jpg

Here's the first panel. These subs are not something I can knock out in a weekend. Lots of angle cuts, 15 seperate panels to cut as well as cut to fit bracing between the panels. That's not counting routering the driver holes, installing t-nuts, drivers, wiring and finish work (etc).

post-15193-13819801155278_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

You don't need expensive tools to make decent cuts, just a circular saw, a guide and some sort of protractor to set the saw.

You forgot, alot of paying attention and patience, that little angle, cut the wrong way could ruin the whole board. [:@]

That thing will be solid as a rock when all those panels get glued together, and it will need to be with two drivers.

Looking great so far. [Y]

That thing will be solid as a rock when all those panels get glued together, and it will need to be with two drivers.

The plans actually call for dual braces on each panel when you use dual drivers. I'm building the minimum width box allowable with dual drivers and using baltic birch instead of regular plywood, so I thought I'd try to get away with single bracing. We'll see. It does feel pretty solid so far though.

Nice work Carl. Do you have a low work table that your using? A 2ft tall table would be nice to work on I suspect. Do you have an amp picked out?

I have a poor mans wood shop. Appropriate for the woodbutchery that I do. I work in my garage on the floor. My wife also parks there in the evenings so I have to clean up after every time I work there. I'd estimate that 15% of the time I spend in the garage is either getting tools out or cleaning up afterwards. The sub sits on a $15.00 wheeled dolly I got from Harbor Freight. All my plywood cutting is done on the floor. The plywood rests on 2x4 runners I lay on the floor so the blade has clearance. It's far less than ideal but it's all I have to work with.

I have a 240 watt plate amp that I'm going to use. It's a little underpowered but I think it will be enough for the application I have it intended for.

Carl

user_IsOffline.gifCECAA850

I think you are doing an amazing job. It takes a lot of skill to do the work you are doing with a circular saw....cudos on that. Any joe can come along and pull this off using a table saw or panel saw. The only act that can beat this would be the person that can come along and build one using a hand saw.

Thanks fritz. A table saw is on my short list of desireable tools but everytime I build a sub, I always think it will be my last build and never get one. Truth be known, I actually have a really cheap one but the table is so small, it's virtually worthless. When I built my Tuba-18, I actually used it as a work bench, lol. It hasn't been plugged in for a while.

I'll try to get another pic up tonight if I have time.

I work on my knees too sometimes and I hate it!!! Gel knee pads do wonders though.

On the table idea, just an old but sturdy coffee table would do wonders for your productivity I suspect. If I was closer I'd bring you a low work table that I made years ago for a similar project.