1954 Khorns on ebay....

Hello everyone, this is a truly great forum. I have read many interesting comments and tech hints, but did not register until tonight.

I am the person with the 1954 Klipschorns on Ebay. You would not believe the foreign people from Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan that have e-mailed me asking if I would sell then just the drivers, crossover, and top horn assy. One guy has asked if I would stop the auction for $2200 and part them out. That just about made me cry!

If anyone is interested, I would rather see them go to a good home than be parted out and shipped to a far away place. Also, let me know via e-mail if anyone is close enough to drive up or meet halfway and we can talk. I also have the utility version from 1954 and was

planning on running it on Ebay next. It is exactly the same construction and drivers as my pair (SAHF, 4401, 103-lx2) and is a 1954 using exactly the same stock of wood, crossover, etc., just not as pretty to look at. I also have a second tweeter (same age, color and model and 8 ohms) that I have been keeping as a spare that I would sell with this unit. The sound is incredible and exactly the same as my pair of Khorns I have for sale. My goal is to find a good home for these beauties!

A great Ebay'er and avid Klipsch affectionado had this to say about the sounds of a 1954 Klipsch as compared with the newer stuff:

"Yes, I have listened to both. As close to 'side by side' as it gets for cornerhorns. Had stock '77's at one time in the corners and pre '55's sealed up with 3/4 ply next to. To me, the difference was striking. Both sound tremendous. However, the older ones IMO sound more natural and spacious. The bass is 'better' (as a matter of personal preference) in the older pair.

Goes deeper and punches out with far more authority. Chest rumbling bass as opposed to just fine bass. The older pair has chest and jaw exciting bass even at low listening volumes, while the newer pair loses this effect as you turn the volume down. The pre '55's came with the Stephens Trusonic 103LX2's for the bass engine. 15" and weighing in at over 25lbs this driver

is considered by many as the finest bass driver the Klipsch factory ever mounted in it's folded horn. Exceptionally efficient. We all know of the

K-33 bass horn the '77's were equipped with. Fairly efficient, under 10lbs with a short throw which produces a very consistant 'Klipsch bass' sound.

I prefer the midrange of the older ones. It is sweet and dispersive. The fiberglass/wood sectoral type horn of the older ones creates a very wide soundstage and all but eliminates the 'sweet spot' that the straight horns are (in)famous for. Mine have the University SAHF midrange driver. This is a very utilitarian driver. Practically indestructable. I've seen these with 2 inch dents in them sound as sweet as a NOS. This driver has a very natural sound that compliments the woofer and tweeter perfectly. I believe that the

'77's had the K55V. The ones with the push connectors. This driver is hearty as well. It's shortfalls are well documented on this board.

The tweeter in the old Khorns is the 'sleeper' component. It is the University 4401 Mid-T. As with all the components of this era, I believe that this tweeter was selected to represent Klipsch because of it's natural sound and it's seamless coexistance with the bass and midrange. Absolutely no harsh shrillness. Zero. Side by side with the '77's, I would have to say

that this single component is easily identified as responsible for the greatest difference in sound. To my ears, the K-77 has a 'ringing' quality that can be very fatigueing to me.

Network wise, the '77's had the AA's. The AA's strengths and weakness' are also well documented on this board. The older Khorns have the K-500-5000.

With crossover points at 500 and 5Khz, this is a fairly robust unit. Over two feet long and 6 inches wide, it sports 3 inch hand wound chokes and large oil filled caps. Again, and much like the 'B' network of the CW's, this is a basic, natural and warm sounding network."

Thanks, and regards to everyone on the board.

Mike

Hey guys-

I had a chance to hear Mike's K-horns last night. He has a number of beer related items up for sale and I wanted to stop by his house and check a few out. I came home with two fabulous signs.

I also happen to be a Klipsch fan and stop by the board here often. I am by no way affiliated with Mike, we just happen to live in suburbs of Milwaukee.

Take my word that these speakers are incredible. The smoothness is just jaw-dropping. Although they sound similar to my Cornwalls and LaScalas, Mike's K-horns are in another league. Bass is full, tight, and effortless. The warmth from the mid and tweeter horns is absolutely soothing. Keep in mind I listened to these horns through a solid state Mac. Although the ss Mac is still quite warm, I wanted to reinforce that my demonstration was not with tubes.

If anyone here on the board is interested in purchasing Mike's K-horns, you have my word that they play flawlessly and sound absolutely incredible. Both cabinets are very nice as well. One speaker top is showing a bit of wear off to the left side. One of his pictures on eBay shows this area.

Take care all and I'm on the prowl for another pair of Cornwalls. Anyone in WI, IL have a pair that they would part with??

Jeff

Hello everyone, an additional note on shipping - great news - Klipsch sells the boxes to ship the Klipschorns - a pair of high frequency horn boxes and low frequency horn boxes cost $380.00. This would enable me to ship these via Forward Air. Costs will vary, depending on the airport, but for instance, shipping these speakers to Newark, New Jersey or LA, California would cost $320 total for four boxes, and can be delivered in a week. Klipsch will also take a week to get me the boxes. This includes full insurance for $3000 in the unhappy event they are damaged. That would bring estimated shipping and the cartons to $700. This is a very reasonable cost when looking at the total picture. Please e-mail me if you need an exact quote, but this should help. Also, check www.forwardair.com to see if your airport is serviced by forward air. Remember, this is only an estimate and prices will vary. Best of luck and I hope this helps!

Mike

Although not sure if I want to known as 'the great e-bayer' (just kidding Mike, I appreciate the kind words), since I wrote the evaluation Mike uses on his listing a few months ago here, I too can attest (as I have ad nasea) to the 'in another league' assessment voiced by Jeff. I have heard many different vintages of Khorns and firmly believe the sound of the mid-50's era Khorns to be the finest by far. They are extremely musical and impact you on an emotional level that is hard to find in speakers today. Whoever ends up with these will truly have the best of the best.

------------------

Ed

Well, $2900 for the pair. Not bad, but I really thought they would go for more. A local Bay Area pair sold for over $3K 3 weeks ago and were not as nice. But then again, there have been 2 pair in the last week that did not hit reserves, and there are what, 4 pair on eBay now?

Location, Location and timing!

Did anyone here on the board get them???

Mike

------------------

1977 K-Horns

Wright Sound 2A3 Monoblocks

AMC CVT 1030 PreAmp

Jolida 602A CD

Thorens TD-165

Silverline Speaker Cables

Various Monster Interconnects.

I was just chatting with the owner via email and he informed me that they were won by someone from Taiwan. Who knows if he happens to be on this BB? Probably not I would assume.

About the auction...I think the reason this pair did so well had to do with the detailed description and all the pics he supplied. Most auctions that I see become successful are one's with loads of pics from different angles. It seems to make potential buyers more comfortable with their bid. The description was what had the greatest impact on me. You can tell when someone knows what they are talking about and when they do not. This gentleman knew his stuff and it showed.

Personally I wish I had won them myself. I have a pair from 1975 that are in pristine shape but would really have loved to do my own side by side comparison between the two models. Naturally I would have tried to convince my girlfriend that we need to make room for all four but that wouldn't happen. If they are as good as the description says the 1975 pair would have been on eBay next week. cwm1.gif

I would love to own them - unfortunately these don't fall into the "cheap garage sale pair suitable for restoration" category. I'll get 'em someday.

The condition was awesome for 1954 speakers. $2900 is a bargain.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>