Did Sony Ever, Ever Build a Audiophile Level Speaker?

thebes

Besides, Sony didn't become the number one audio and video producer in the world because their customers thought the stuff was junk. It was pretty clear that Sony did have a rep for quality, and still does as far as their flat screens go.

Their professional audio and video equipment is still top notch! The video editing equipment was excellent, as were their cameras.

Bruce

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh OK!....I wasn't challenging your obvious knack for perception...Nor was I trying to come off as a superior being due to my residing in the great country Canada (I would claim that regardless of my origin).

Please forgive me for that well perceived challenge....I should, after all these years on this forum, have known better than to question any of your pontifications. Be sure I have now learnt my lesson.....[;)]

PS...... "Good" French blood isn't that an oxymoron.....

Whenever anybody starts talking marketeering overload, I just have to laugh...because PWK was just the opposite...to the point of being detrimental to his own profitability.

He would actually talk potential customers out of buying his speakers if he saw they were not what the person really needed. He would direct them to buy another model of another brand (Frazier, for instance). Or he would talk them out of buying what he considered a waste of money...such as when told by a customer that he wanted to buy four speakers for a quad set-up, he replied that three speakers are enough, if set-up in a Left-Center-Right stereo array, but if they really wanted four, then he would sell the "extra" speaker to them.

Truth be told, his marketing method probably attracted more sales than it lost. Some folks just don't want all the gobbley-**** and would rather go straight for the meat and potatoes on the plate!

Besides, Sony didn't become the number one audio and video producer in the world because their customers thought the stuff was junk. It was pretty clear that Sony did have a rep for quality, and still does as far as their flat screens go.

Their professions audio and video equipment is still top notch! The video editing equipment was excellent, as were their cameras.

Bruce

The same can be said of their DSLR cameras, I had always been a dedicated Nikon shooter, not any more. I have a Sony Alpha 850 and have absolutely no regrets, lens choices are a little limited (new) but those they do have are excellent.

• Moderators

They did develop the state of the art digital reel to reel tape recorder that was the standard of the industry starting in the early 1980s in the the early 90s. They were able to offer 24 and ultimately 48 tracks on 1/2" tape in PCM format. They used time encoding so it was very easy to have 96 available. They used a stationary head as opposed to DAT, which uses a helical rotating head.

There was a lot of recordings using their decks with the resolution gettng up to 20 bits at 96 khz. There is a major problem right now, you have to use a Sony to decode it, and those decks, while still in use today, are becoming fewer and far between. The Grammy people, in order to preserve the music that was mastered using digital decks, are asking folks to transfer it back into analog and store it on . . . TAPE.

Travis

They were able to offer 24 and ultimately 48 tracks on 1/2" tape in PCM format.

Dire Straits album 'Brothers in Arms' was was recorded on a DASH recorder. The LP that was made from those digital recordings is absolutely outstanding.

Bruce

PS...... "Good" French blood isn't that an oxymoron.....

Duuuuude! Don't poke the bear through the fence.!

Besides, French Canadian chicks are a subspecies of the hottest subset of females on the planet. I whisper just one word into the right ears and you will be denied so much as a coquette smile for the rest of your natural days. Really, is life without that secret smile they've patented, worth it?

But I digress. As testimony laid before you throughout this thread will clearly show, Sony has dropped some real gems into the dross of most of their product offerings. I'm just still not sure they will ever be known for their speakers and I can't figure out why they never really tried. that hard. Or am I wrong?

Hey Bruce - Nowhere, really, I'm just busy with the usual - kids (three now 1, 5, and 7) and work. (Plus I use Tannoys now!)

That sounds like a fun handful including the Tannoys.. I am watching my five year old do some fast circles right now with a COLD. I can imagine a 1,5, and 7 running around at different concentric trajectories creating a household nebula...

Hey Bruce - Nowhere, really, I'm just busy with the usual - kids (three now 1, 5, and 7) and work. (Plus I use Tannoys now!)

That sounds great, and I imagine the Tannoys are sounding great too. I'm up to six grand kids now... [:D]

Bruce

Besides, French Canadian chicks are a subspecies of the hottest subset of females on the planet. I whisper just one word into the right ears and you will be denied so much as a coquette smile for the rest of your natural days. Really, is life without that secret smile they've patented, worth it?

Back in the mid-1970's, I knew some Italian gals from Vicenza who would argue that point!

-Andy

post-9310-13819823891536_thumb.jpg