Blu-Ray, how good is it - really?

colterphoto1

With the Led Zep Celebration Day CD/DVD packages coming out today (in a bewildering array of formats and packaging) - should I get the Blu-Ray version (which entails buying another DVD player, or stick with standard? I've already falled for the HD format late in the game, after discontinued, and don't look forward to re-purchasing titles in the blu-ray version. Is it THAT much better? Hurry with responses please, I have to get the Zep set today! (it's tradition, since Houses of the Holy I've bought every Zep release on the day of release) thanks guys!

I don't want to hype it up but you may as well get the bluray. It will be the standard for the next while and is an improvement. Players are cheap, I bought a bestbuy wifi BR for my guest room for $40 delivered over a year ago.You can get a Sony for $100 , the new Zepp deserves the best, so do the fans, enjoy. Oh....and thanks for reminding me.

• Moderators

Honestly, I believe BR is a significant improvement over standard DVD, especially on my 103" screen. When I watch a standard dvd, I can see the artifacts (and I'm no videophile) and most of the time it looks a bit grainy whereas my BR disks are super sharp and crystal clear.

DVD is 480 lines of resolution while BR is 1080.

As cheap as bluray players are, I would definitely get one. If you aren't wanting to spend a lot, you could pick one up on Black Friday for cheap. Best Buy is selling this Toshiba BR player for $40.

Once I moved to BR, I RARELY watch standard DVD's because in comparison on my setup, they are just that bad.

Is it THAT much better?

Yes it is, for picture and audio quality. The HD audio codecs DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are THAT much better.

I don't know if you are a fan, but the "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City" Blu-ray concert is a fantastic reference demo disk that is at the top of my stack when I want to show off my system. "David Gilmore Live at Albert Hall" is another fantastic concert BD.

Bill

of all the carzy reasons to get a BD player... Zep. But honestly, as stated above... the 93 Oppo would be justr the ticket. it's a wonderful performer to the point that you might not want to replace some of your DVD's with BD's

If you want to see how good Bluray is, get an Oppo 93 and the BD version of Jaws...

:/thread

I don't know if you are a fan, but the "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City" Blu-ray concert is a fantastic reference demo disk that is at the top of my stack when I want to show off my system.

Bill

Personally, I like something with a little more bass[;)].

How cheap? They look to be the same price as the 103. My brother-in-law wants to get a new player and I am trying to guide him. Is there a place where 93's can be had for less than a 103?

I have not seen too many dumping their 93's on Audiogon to buy the 103, but sure have seen many dumping their 95's to get the 105.[*-)]

Bill

Well, I picked the BR up today(BB) and it looks really good $26.99 with two cd's, pretty decent.Of course I am a die hard Zepp fan so I would buy it on vhs if need be..........Sound, DTSMA, that alone was worth it.It takes the boys a few minutes to get in the grove(just imo) but after a few songs they're gettin' down.Of course no matter what he does, Jimmy can do no wrong on the guitar, imo.The rest of the band, great too.I was happily surprised by Jason, best drumming I've seen him do, was that his Dad's kit? Looked like it,Michael ? Anyone?

The Song Truly Remains the Same

Bonzo never recorded with the Vista-Lite kit, they were for stage use only. Jason's is a similar kit in terms of sizes of the drums and kit, he has the gong and tympani also. Not the same kit, more modern in all respects. The snare has a cast bronze shell, I know a local guy who was Jason's drum tech when Jason was with The Healing Sixes (yes an Indianapolis band - that I later mixed for). He used to house Jason's kit when here when he went away to England. Another drumming buddy has a similar snare it sounds like a cannon.

I just got the CD/DVD at BB for $22.

Here's my projector model- http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/projectors_visualizers/projectors/lv_7105#Specifications. I got this one years ago to use in my photo business so it's older but was state-of-art for small business/home model in it's day. Without HDMI inputs can I use it with blu-ray ? I understand that some Blu models might have the component outputs to my projector. Don't have a proper home theater yet but have plans for a room in the basement eventually. For right now the standard DVD looks great on my Plasma. Maybe I'm not that picky, I don't know. But spending another $250-$500 on another component just isn't in the budget right now.