Klipsch RSW-15 vs Velodyne HGS15 Comparison

Youthman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Man, you are right Ivan. In my mind, I really thought the Velodyne was going to pretty much slam the RSW-15 in SPL but unless I perfomed my testing inacurately, the Klipsch was the winner in just about all of my testing.

I'll have to look up some movies that have some great < 20Hz scenes that I can A/B to see if the Velodyne takes the lead in actual application. If so, I'll likely keep both subs and sell one of my HGS15's. If the RSW-15 ends up sounding better even during really low LFE scenes, I might just sell both HGS-15's.

I guess time will tell.

I have a Test Tone CD that generates tones from 80Hz down to 10Hz. I went in increments of 5Hz until I got down to 20Hz and then I went down in increments of 1Hz.

From 80Hz down to 25Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 5db - 9db higher.

Once we hit 20Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 dropped like a rock and from 20Hz down to 10Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 10db - 15db lower than the Velodyne HGS15.

Based on what I see, the RSW-15 outperforms the HGS15 down to 20Hz but the Velodyne trumps the RSW-15 below 20Hz.

Is there anything else you guys can deduct from this chart? ...

I would speculate they filter below, rather steeply, either to protect the sub or to keep the sound clean.

Youth I love that you have a room that is dedicated to HT and really gives you a good standard that you are familiar with to plug and play new items! Book of Eli is one of the movies I use to demo also. The scene in Inception where Leonardo is sitting with the girl in front of the resteraunt, where the dream starts to fall apart is another. And had my folks over and we watched War Horse, very cool LFE battle scenes. All visitors were overly impressed!

I think is is really good for HT and amazing for music. People get hung up on the black and white numbers. The experience speaks for its self. Let alone having a dedicated room with treatments. I can't wait to get to that point and get even more performance out of it come that day!

• Moderators

Thanks for the head's up on the Inception scene. I have Inception and know it has a lot of LFE during the movie, I just am not that familiar with which scenes are good ones to try out. I'll check out the scene you are talking about tomorrow since everyone has gone to bed here.

I think is is really good for HT and amazing for music. People get hung up on the black and white numbers. The experience speaks for its self.

I agree that we often look at numbers. I REALLY enjoy having the opportunity to be able to own various Klipsch speakers, even if it's just for the experience aspect of it.

I really did not expect the RSW-15 to perform as well as it has. Definitely will be a keeper in my HT setup...no doubt about it. I just have to see if there is a real value to keeping one of my HGS15's and pair it with the RSW-15. That will have to be another day to test how both subs sound compared to just the RSW-15 by itself.

• Moderators

I would speculate they filter below, rather steeply, either to protect the sub or to keep the sound clean.

You are probably correct. Maybe the RSW-15 doesn't handle those frequencies too well so maybe that's intentional by design.

Passive Radiator: Another type of subwoofer enclosure may add a passive
radiator, instead of a port, to increase the efficiency of the sub. Passive
radiators are sometimes drivers with the voice coil and magnet removed, or like
a flat diaphragm. The radiator must usually be at least as large (or larger)
than the driver in the enclosure.

Basics15.gif

Advantages of
the passive radiator include the absence of port noise, and some audiophiles
claim the radiator provides a better sounding bass than a ported enclosure.
However, the cutoff (-3dB) frequency is slightly higher than ported design using
the same driver.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43669

I have a Test Tone CD that generates tones from 80Hz down to 10Hz. I went in increments of 5Hz until I got down to 20Hz and then I went down in increments of 1Hz.

From 80Hz down to 25Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 5db - 9db higher.

Once we hit 20Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 dropped like a rock and from 20Hz down to 10Hz, the Klipsch RSW-15 was anywhere from 10db - 15db lower than the Velodyne HGS15.

Based on what I see, the RSW-15 outperforms the HGS15 down to 20Hz but the Velodyne trumps the RSW-15 below 20Hz.

Is there anything else you guys can deduct from this chart? ...

You are right sir. That chart shows that the amp in the klipsch

has a low pass filter that filters out everything below 20 Hz to give more

power handling and output in the upper frequencies.

Hmmm, I wonder how an RSW-15 and a B15 would sound together?Wink

Bill

I don't know Bill, but it sounds like fun

I would still consider it a step back compared to running two identical

subs------ Not necessarily reference head. I don't use a sub EQ but, level match the subs one at a time, then run autocalibration and let the avr take care of phase and standing waves issues. Placement is a key point with multiple subs. I have ran testone and the cude graphs look pretty good. I have a pretty even bass response around the room so, I don't think using identical subs would make a big difference in my room. I could get some stronger bottom feeders but, I don't feel the need at this point.

1. The use of identical subwoofers is the easiest choice for setup and

calibration. This does not mean that you cannot use different subwoofers. It

simply means that it may take longer to adjust the levels of two different

subwoofers.

You are right but Phase isn’t something every avr will fix

with muti subs (some don’t fix even one). The speed of different drivers is not

something you can ever fix completely. I had good results but when I sold my epik

empire and got a 2nd pb12 plus it was so much easier to get them

working perfect. Youth has a set place for his subs so he won’t be able to move

it all around the room to get it perfect. Also looking at his chart these are two totally

different subs so I will stick to my original statement and say it would be a

step back (if run together).

Youth if you like the klipsch you could sell the other two

and get a 2nd klipsch (that’s what I would probably do).

• Moderators

Youth if you like the klipsch you could sell the other two
and get a 2nd klipsch (that’s what I would probably do).

That might be an option as well.

Here are a few size comparison pics...really not that much difference, the RSW-15 is just a few inches deeper than the HGS15.

Klipsch-RSW-15-vs-Velodyne-HGS15-Compari

• Moderators

Youth, congrats on the RSW-15, it looks amazing!!

Thanks. Funny thing is I used to think Maple finish was horrible...until I purchased a pair of RF-7's in Maple finish. Truly a beautiful finish. I really like the contrast of the black faceplate, the cerametalic woofers and the maple finish on the RSW-15.

Thanks for the review of it's performance, really makes me want one more than ever.

I would say it's definitely worth the wait.

If you ever get bored with it let me know :).

LOL...somehow I don't see that happening. I might have one or two Velodyne HGS15's I could sell you. [:D]

Thanks. Funny thing is I used to think Maple finish was horrible...until I purchased a pair of RF-7's in Maple finish. Truly a beautiful finish. I really like the contrast of the black faceplate, the cerametalic woofers and the maple finish on the RSW-15.

I always thought the same with the Cherry too until I picked up the cherry rf-83's. They really changed my perception on what a beautiful speaker is.

• Moderators

I've always been fond of the Cherry finish. When my RF-83's arrived, I was grinning from ear to ear and began taking photos of it as I unboxed it. My wife was watching on the sideline thinking I was crazy. She is probably right.

Your sub is in a cabinet right?

Yes it is. Is there more bass that comes from the Active than the passive?

The majority of that sub's output will come from the active rear driver. The passive radiator will mainly be used for the really low frequencies. It's not entirely clear to me how your subs are hidden but I wouldn't place an RSW-15 in an enclosed cabinet no matter its orientation; but especailly with the rear driver facing rearward. That sub needs to be out in the room with the rear driver facing a wall or corner.

In my mind, I really thought the Velodyne was going to pretty much slam the RSW-15 in SPL but unless I perfomed my testing inacurately, the Klipsch was the winner in just about all of my testing.

What you are demonstrating to yourself is that the sub 20Hz stuff is not as important as the "slam", which occurs above that. And the RSW-15 has plenty of slam.

I sure do miss mine. [:(]

• Moderators

It's not entirely clear to me how your subs are hidden but I wouldn't place an RSW-15 in an enclosed cabinet no matter its orientation; but especailly with the rear driver facing rearward. That sub needs to be out in the room with the rear driver facing a wall or corner.

It actually is not inside a cabinet, but instead behind a false wall. The subwoofer is not enclosed. It has a back wall (which most subs have, and 2' x 2' side wall to the left of the sub but that is it. It is open on the top of the sub as well as the right of the sub and of course the front where the fabric is that is used to conceal the sub.

As you can see below, the only real "walls" or "dividers" are the shelf that the RC-64 sits on (yellow horizontal arrow) and the two 2' x 2' "walls" or "panels" on the left and right side of where the UMC-1 and my Parasound Amp are located (two vertical yellow arrows) and a shelf in between the UMC-1 and the Parasound Amp (small horizontal yellow arrow).

Everything else is totally open behind the false wall.

false-wall-1.jpg

Below you can see how "hollow" the false wall with lots of air flow and open space.

false-wall-2.jpg

When the false wall was originally constructed, there was a very thin square that would be to the right of where the RSW-15 is and to the left of the RF-83 but I removed that a long time ago since it served no purpose and vibrated from the subwoofer.

false-wall-3.jpg