How many have an iHomeTheater?

Youthman

• Moderators

I've always been a late adopter of things, never jump on the bandwagon of anything new. Until now, the only Apple product I own is a 2GB iPod Nano (probably the first generation too) that was given to me that I use in my truck.

About a month ago, I posted a WTB iPad2 32 GB ad on Craigslist. and a guy emailed me yesterday offering to sell me his. I purchased his White 32GB iPad2 for me from my wife as my Christmas present (don't you like how that works). [:D]

ipad2.jpg

The guy included a leather SmartCasefor $250. I could never see myself spending $600 on it but I was willing to invest $250 in one. So far, I really like it. My children who are 9, 11 and 13 are teaching me how to use it since two of them have iPod Touch and they have friends that have iPads. I have another friend who is giving me his iPhone 4 since he just upgraded to the iPhone 5.

So my question is, how have you encorporated Apple into your HT? I've heard a little about AppleTV, Airplay etc. From what I can see, if I want to use the iPad as a controller for the HT, I will either need an AppleTV or I could buy a Logitech Harmony Link to allow the iPad to interface as a remote? Just trying to get some ideas to see if I want to pursue encorporating any of the Apple products into my HT.

As far as I know if you want to wireless utilize your iPad/iPhone you need to have a AirPlay capible device to stream your content to, such as the Apple TV or devices that have AirPlay built in. I know Onkyo and Denon have apps you can download for free to control their respective AVR's.

So my question is, how have you encorporated Apple into your HT? I've heard a little about AppleTV, Airplay etc. From what I can see, if I want to use the iPad as a controller for the HT, I will either need an AppleTV or I could buy a Logitech Harmony Link to allow the iPad to interface as a remote? Just trying to get some ideas to see if I want to pursue encorporating any of the Apple products into my HT.

You'll have fun with the new toy. [:D] For Airplay you need an Aiplay enabled AVR or an AppleTv device. The latter is under 100.00 bux. You can stream music, photo's, videos from your iPad or any other computer on your network.

There are many remote control apps available depending on the equipment you want to control. I can control my Onkyo, Directv or my BR player from the free apps I've down loaded. The Onkyo app is great for me as it allows adjustments on the fly.

If you want aiplay and haven't yet, set up your iTunes account and let the streaming begin!!

I don't use my iPad as much as my iPhone. But I do enjoy my denon 1713 and being able to control the whole receiver from anywhere within range of my apple time capsule is pretty awesome. Nothing like opening your windows, going out to do some yard work and streaming pandora and what not and controlling volume while your outside working. As long as family is not inside obviously.

I am pretty terrible with technology so I just have it plugged into my AVR via HDMI and use a wireless mouse/keyboard. To tell you the truth, I usually just use the iPad on the couch and watch TV. I am sure I am missing allot of cool features.

YM, once you get the remote app your happy with, I suggest one of these for your Theater seats and will be able to use it in truck as well.

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAP-299-2U-RAM-A-CAN/dp/B00361ET98/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

There are different types of holders as well for just ipad or if its in a protective case.

http://padholdr.com/apple-ipad-holder-and-ipad-mount/

I love it and works well in my home theater chair cup holders. I use it for ipad with WD Hub remote app for movies ,iPeng app for my Logitech Duet for FLAC music on squeezebox for 2 channel. I have individual apps for TV, BDP, WD Live Hub and squeezebox. I'm going to watch this thread for the universal remote options (I have Harmony One as well and like the Link idea) for everything, but now feels like I'm at the helm of the enterprise with everything I need right at my side.[:D]

One thing I do like is with iPeng app I can bring my iPad into bedroom and use headphone jack and have access to all my music on NAS to use in my bedroom set up or connect the ipad to my Klipsch Pro media 2.1 in Kitchen

• Moderators

YM, once you get the remote app your happy with, I suggest one of these for your Theater seats and will be able to use it in truck as well.

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAP-299-2U-RAM-A-CAN/dp/B00361ET98/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That looks slick but how does it secure to the back of the iPad? I don't see any clamps. Do you have to purchase the RAM mounting system plus the individual $150 holder for the iPad?

iDo!, check the sig for gear currently being used. I'm a huge fan of Spotify as a streaming service and utilize my airplay enabled iPad with the Apple TV nearly every time I'm in the HT. I also have a Mac mini connected to the AVR in my living room which goes straight to my TV via HDMI. The Mac mini is a better option than an Apple TV if you want the speed and processing power required to do things like; Surf the web, listen to music, have multiple pages open in an browser simultaneously with no lag. The Mac mini gets used for EVERY party as background music for the first floor. Leaving the wireless keyboard out for guests to use also allows others to change the music if they want and everyone has fun with it, "Hey, you gotta here this cool song", **click, click, tap** there it is, any thing you could possibly want to here is at everyone's finger tips. The next step for a fuller, richer user experience will be adding some Philips Hue bulbs to the HT and a few more around the house. This is a just released wifi enabled bulb that is controllable with an iPad or smartphone via app. With it we'll be able to dim the lights, change the color scheme, etc., all from the comfort of the couch. Or, turn on the interior/exterior lights of the house while away on vacation to make it appear as if we're home. Super cool stuff. They're only available thru the apple store currently and last time I checked were back ordered 3-4 months, so ill be patient. But me AND the wife are super excited for the prospects of this little project ;)

The next step for a fuller, richer user experience will be adding some Philips Hue bulbs to the HT and a few more around the house.

Very cool! Hadn't seen this before and am putting it on my short list. [Y]

Edit: Hmmmm.....just looked at the prices.[:o] Might have to add to the longer short list!

The next step for a fuller, richer user experience will be adding some Philips Hue bulbs to the HT and a few more around the house.

Very cool! Hadn't seen this before and am putting it on my short list. Yes

Edit: Hmmmm.....just looked at the prices.Surprise Might have to add to the longer short list!

Keep in mind that it IS way cheaper than the home automation systems currently on the market. Also, the avg person should get around 10 years out of each LED bulb before needing replacement. 60 bucks a bulb is pricey but in the end is actually pretty cost effective for what you get, IMO. Bear in mind also that it does not behoove you to switch out ALL of your bulbs with the way they currently operate. No physical on/off switch means that turning on/off a much used table lamp requires going into the app every time to do so. But, selectively choosing your placement could yield huge rewards as mentioned above, and very cheaply in my book. It's def on my short list :) In fact I'm gonna check their current availability right now!

EDIT: Wah wah wah, still 3-4 months :( ......A full home automation system for a small/medium size house could easily go into the thousands. I don't need or want full home automation. I DO want to be able to set up my lighting scheme BEFORE entering the HT and to be able to control while I'm down there. I also want to be able to control an outdoor light for security purposes while I'm away. I also want to be able to control the lights in our primary living room when I'm at home and when I'm not. All of my wants equals five bulbs. You get three and the wireless bridge for $199., add on two more bulbs at $60/each and were talking about $320. That's $320 for ten years of full control over my home lighting schemes while I'm there AND away. Less than a $1/month. I can think of so many different ways that I spend ONE dollar every month that doesn't give me much or any enjoyment. Ill save that $1 and spend it here, lol.

I recently started using iRule to control my HT via my iPad or Droid phone. Works extremely well, totally customizable. iRule controls any and all systems via RS232, IP, or IR. It is a bit of a learning curve to 'create' your customized remote, but well worth the effort IMHO.

You can read about it on the iRule site.

That looks slick but how does it secure to the back of the iPad? I don't see any clamps. Do you have to purchase the RAM mounting system plus the individual $150 holder for the iPad?

Here's a quick pic I took to show it working. It fits solidly in cup holder and easily removed to use in truck if needed.

post-50163-13819825849162_thumb.jpg