Onkyo TX-NR809 - Issue?

kapsnb01

I just hooked my 809 up last night. I have no center or surrounds yet. Sound is awful so far.

Mains sound sort of hollow and distant. I will pour through manuals and set up options.

Also I had hooked up my Carver TFM-35x to the preouts, it doesn't seem to send a strong signal to amp.

I'll use the 809's amps on it next.

Sound with Carver CT-6 and same amp is awesome with same speakers, etc.

I did the quick start equalization. I'll also have to do the full version too.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, got the problems figured out. Did a little searching on AVS and found out the issue was with the Blu Ray player output into the older TV. After a lttle trial and error, and some temporary component cabling into the TV so I could adjust the player, it appears everything is configured and in working order. Now, on to the fun stuff of actually putting the 809 through it's paces and seeing what it can do! So far, the sound is far superior to that of my Yamaha and I can definitely tell that there is more power into the speakers. Definitely glad I bought it so far...[:D]

Wouldn't get too disappointed yet Wuzzzer...still haven't run Audyssey yet. I figured that I'll wait until the Christmas tree comes down before I do that, since it's definitely in the way. So, may yet need some help with fine tuning...which leads to more beer!

As an early review, this thing works great...without much in the way of calibration, it already blows away the Yamaha. Watched Dark Knight Rises and the Avengers the last couple nights. Great movies, great sound!

• Moderators

Darn - I thought there was some beer in my future! Cool Let me know if you need any help!

Once the tree gets out the way I would definitely get Wuzzzer over to help, (just get the beer cold ) it's great to have an experienced set of ears helping, keeps you from second guessing and questioning if you getting the most out of the settings.

Glad to hear it's working out because I have read Onkyo customer stinks, I would love to try the 809 but I have other projects more important in line ahead of a new receiver.

Have fun [G]

I turned my speaker levels up to +12db from -10db and system sounds much better now.

It may be louder at a lower volume setting but sound quality should not be effected.This avr has mega correction features built in, I would use auto set up, the long version.

I used the Audyssey long setup and it sounds horrible at those settings.

Sounds sort of distant or hollow.

Also turning system up to 100.0 is not all that loud with 250+ watt amp.

I would have thought the same thing, but it is dramatic how much better it sounds.

I'm only running 2.1 and I don't think it really knows what to do about it.

I'll continue to look at tuning settings. There is a lot there.

I've done that, it is the same as the Quick start single position in terms of the settings it is using.

It sets the two fronts and the sub to around -10 db. Those are all the speakers I have. I'm guessing that the auto set up only works if you have center and surrounds.

Well it runs through the set up, but I don't think it knows what to do with a 2.1 set up.

I started by changing to 0db and just kept moving it up a 2db at a time.

I've done that, it is the same as the Quick start single position in terms of the settings it is using.

It sets the two fronts and the sub to around -10 db. Those are all the speakers I have. I'm guessing that the auto set up only works if you have center and surrounds.

Well it runs through the set up, but I don't think it knows what to do with a 2.1 set up.

I started by changing to 0db and just kept moving it up a 2db at a time.

You'd accomplish exactly the same thing by simply turning up the volume.

At the -10db setting you could turn it up to 100 (way more than 11 I suppose) and it wasn't loud.

Oddly, at higher db settings the sound is better. Originally I was about to box it up and send it back.

It sounded awful.

I'm not sure that the pre amp outputs are putting out enough. My old preamp turned up to about 1/4 to 1/3 would run you out of the house.

For stereo CDs it does not sound as good as my Carver CT-6.

I haven't had much time to mess with it last couple of days, more later.

Are you using the 809 with an amp? It really don't need one but that could be your issue.The volume at 1/3 or 1/4 like back in the day does not apply, it's all relative volume.You just have no volume to full volume and you listen at the appropriate level.

I've run it with and without my Carver amp, not a lot of difference at moderate volume. Once you get it cranked you can tell the Onkyo was clipping a bit.

What I meant earlier is that if you run the Audssey you can turn it all the way up and you don't get anywhere near "loud".

I'll work on it again soon.