Extended Warranties?

Joe Shmoe

Just purchased a 60" Panasonic plasma (TC-P60GT50) from Pauls TV for $1899. Of course the question came up: "I would recommend the extended 2yr warranty for $199." I declined as usual but now I am thinking more into it...

Is it worth it? Every TV I have owned has never had any issues, so I see it as a waste.... BUT what if something does go bad??

Comments?

I do not buy extended warranties on televisions. Consumer Reports (a group that I don't always agree with), does not recommended that you buy one either.

I do however, buy my TV's from Costco. They automatically extend your factory warranty for an extra year. Not bad...

Just purchased a 60" Panasonic plasma (TC-P60GT50) from Pauls TV for $1899. Of course the question came up: "I would recommend the extended 2yr warranty for $199." I declined as usual but now I am thinking more into it...

Under most circumstances, I would say no. On the other hand, if you think it is affordable vs potential repair costs, you really have to weigh that yourself. I did buy an extended warranty with my Samsung PN59D6500 only because it was a return open box and marked down from MSRP of $2200.00 to $1119.00 and my extended warranty is 4 years for $249.99. I think the warranty I got was some Best Buy Rewards member special thing.

Is it worth it? Every TV I have owned has never had any issues, so I see it as a waste.... BUT what if something does go bad??

Worth it, again you must decide. All of my HD TV's(3 LCD's, 1 DLP, 1 Plasma) have all been trouble free with the oldest being 5 years old.

You may want to look into Square Trade instead of your retailer's in house warranty.

http://www.squaretrade.com/tv-warranty?ccode=bs_war_adword_180%3Anodev&gclid=CO6xp4rx0bQCFQ45nAodOm0ACQ

Never used them but have heard good things.

http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/warranty-reviews-squaretrade.html

Bill

I have the same tv you do and I did buy the extended warranty. My reasoning was that it was my first plasma, and even though screen burn-in isn't really an issue any more I didn't want to take the chance, and BB's warranty covers burn-in where as Panasonics standard 1 year does not. Plus BB will come to my house take the tv off the wall and send me another one to my door. If you have the cash to spare I would say do it.

I brought one for my Samsung plasma tv. I had problem with a white line at the top sometimes. They came out 3x to fix the problem in the first 18 month. They gave me a new 3D TV. They let me keep the other TV also. I found out that the aspect ratio was not set corrctly and in less than a min. I had two nice Plasma TV's. Large tv can't be taken to shop easily and are all computer parts on the inside, so a warranty can be a good thing.

I never get extended warranties either. Interestingly, when we built our house, I had the HVAC system installed. Dual system, one for the upstairs and one for the main floor & basement.

A week after they installed it, something blew in it. The guy came out, fixed it and asked if I was interested in their extended warranty...covered everything for 10 years. (I don't remember but the MFG's might have been 3 or 5 years??? I forget). I think it was $350/unit, $700 total. Heck, I can't get anyone OUT to my house for less than $50.

Anyways, in a moment of weakness, I went ahead and said to do it and wrote him a check.

Don't you know that for the following 10 years, each and year, they had to come out and fix one or the other units!!!

In this specific case, buying the extended warranty was the best thing I could have done. What I find interesting, in the 11th year...yes, when one of the units crapped out on me, I called a different shop (more local who could come out that night to fix)

He fixed it, I paid him and I think I went three more years without ANY troubles at all. Had I been paying the first people for their visits, it would have seemed as though they planned on it breaking down to keep coming out & charging me. Since it was on their dime....I'm beginning to think they were just incompetent and never fixed an underlying issue like the second guy did.

My opinion on extended warranties varies depending on the product that will be covered.

I purchased an elliptical bike from Sears (Sole) a couple of years ago. The machine has been well used. Recently a roller support brace failed. The Sears man came out, evaluated the problem and ordered the part. The part will be delivered next week and he will come out to repair the unit. The labor and part costs are close to $400.00. In this case the policy has paid for itself.

I, as a rule never buy them, however this year I picked up the 60" vizio from wally world. They wanted like $150 for 3 years. I had a coupon and got a square trade warranty for around $60.00. Cheap insurance

My opinion on extended warranties varies depending on the product that will be covered.

I have to agree on this point. For a TV, there pretty much disposable these days and cheap in comparison to what they used to be. For the most part, I dont buy warranties either...

I have to agree on this point. For a TV, there pretty much disposable these days and cheap in comparison to what they used to be. For the most part, I dont buy warranties either...

Another point to consider with TV's is that after 3, 4, or 5 years, technology will have changed/improved. No need to fix up a TV that is already behind in that area.

• Moderators

I don't ever buy extended warranties. To a certain extent, it is a gamble, just like insurance. Sometimes you need it, most of the time you don't. If you have it and need it, that's great! If you don't have it and need it, that stinks.

There are very few things that I buy brand new. There are just too many great deals out there for good quality used gear for me to drop retail on an item. Besides, I really enjoy the hunt for deals.

The only items in my HT that I purchased retail were my Panasonic AE3000u projector, Elite Projection Screen, RC-64 and my Emotive UMC-1 pre/pro. The rest was purchased used and many at rediculous prices.

I bought 3 head phones once for 60 buck each and asked for an extended warranty figuring it would cost about 6 bucks. they would not sell me one......they on sell extended warranties on things not likely to need them. head phones don't last very long.

• Moderators

Back in the day, when I worked for Circuit City, our management really pushed us to sell Extended Warranties. We would get extra commision for doing so. Why the big push? One reason....the company made money doing so. I would venture to say that the vast majority that purchase them never use them.