Elio Motors - three wheeler could be fun

Daddy Dee

http://www.eliomotors.com/

$6800 including A/C and power windows

will be built in old Shreveport GM plant

first vehicle delivery summer of 2014

84 mpg - 8 gal tank - 672 mile range

An inline, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, 70 HP, fuel injected, DOHC gas powered, liquid-cooled, automotive engine.

two seater - three air bags

reinforced roll cage - projected 5-star safety rating

3 wheel ABS

5 speed manual or automatic trans + reverse gear!

speeds in excess of 100 mph

post-11993-13819827436294_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

If they were to have a model a little bigger, something more capable for hauling things around even if it were 25% less efficient. It would probably be somewhat safer in an accident and much more convenient for normal use ?

I really like tiny more efficient and fun to drive cars but they can be scary with all the big vehicles on the road.

One thing just occured to me. The Elio project could be too good. I mean, it would threaten the heck out of gov't interested electric car investment. Why should the govt allow some entrepreneur to sell gazillions of 84mpg cars under $10K when the govt is spending billions getting consumers to buy $40K+ electrics that aren't worth anything.

"I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?" --Tom Clancy

It used to be the oil industry that was the enemy of fuel efficiency. Now it's oH nO mY cOMpuTer iS aCtInG fUnnnnn.....

By being 3 wheels it is technically a motorcycle and as such skirts many of the safety, economy, and emissions regulations that 4 wheeled vehicles are subject to.

I would be curious to see what insurance rates are going to be like on it. Typically the insurance for a $20K motorcycle is less than a third of what a $20K car is.

Why should the govt allow some entrepreneur to sell gazillions of 84mpg cars under $10K when the govt is spending billions getting consumers to buy $40K+ electrics

Feature story this morning in the Houston Communist about a local couple just taking delivery of their Tesla S. They went whole hog, 84K for the 300 mile range version with all the bells and whistles, 0-60 in 4.4s. They were thrilled to find it had downloaded a software patch during the night...

Yeah, the thing is always on line.

Further, it's a true luxury car. I don't think Tesla need fear Elio much... These folks bottom line was that it was more than competitive to the other cars in their price range.

I know if I had 84k to spend on a car I'd have one of these in a heartbeat.

Dave

One thing just occured to me. The Elio project could be too good. I mean, it would threaten the heck out of gov't interested electric car investment. Why should the govt allow some entrepreneur to sell gazillions of 84mpg cars under $10K when the govt is spending billions getting consumers to buy $40K+ electrics that aren't worth anything.

"I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?" --Tom Clancy

It used to be the oil industry that was the enemy of fuel efficiency. Now it's oH nO mY cOMpuTer iS aCtInG fUnnnnn.....

http://voltowner.blogspot.com/2013/01/one-year-of-volt-ownership-costs-of.html