Oris 150's have arrived !

Rudy81

they require great care and attention to detail something which does not go along with the words "mass production". Further they are only of interest to a very VERY tiny hand full of people and of those who are interested most don't want to or cant pay for them. So tell me why would anybody anywhere want to get into the business that is a waste of money? Support where you can people who from mostly love and lack of brains try to make a go of such products they are the only ones who do care about the things you care about, they just happen to care a whole lot more than you and me. The tons of mass produced crap at Walmart is just that, it is crap.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Interesting price of $2,000 being thrown about as Bert's site shows the Oris 150 for sale at €879.00 a PAIR or about $976 for the pair based on current exchange rates.  Darn those expensive shippers charging over $1,000 to ship $40 of material. :wacko:  :angry:  :emotion-14:  

http://www.bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d83.html

Would it really be a grand for shipping?

I would ask Rudy... but he post this (may be cheaper now that the dollar is better against the Euro):

The Oris 250's can be shipped much cheaper, about 130 Euro. ...
Edited by Marvel

The Oris 150s, shipped from the Netherlands last week via UPS. Very expensive to ship and nerve racking to imagine how UPS was treating them. 

I will be starting out with some modest 8" drivers, the Tang Band 1800's. Can't see dropping another $2K for drivers just now. 

I found out that the shipping cost is the giant hurdle. Either the Autotech, Oris or Azurahorns are not all that expensive in and of themselves. 

After long discussions with Bert, I decided just to get what I wanted, the 150 horns. Shipping was roughly 400 Euro.

Interesting price of $2,000 being thrown about as Bert's site shows the Oris 150 for sale at €879.00 a PAIR or about $976 for the pair based on current exchange rates.  Darn those expensive shippers charging over $1,000 to ship $40 of material. :wacko:  :angry:  :emotion-14:  

http://www.bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d83.html

Yikes, the emoticon humor is foiled again.  :ph34r:

Actually, in a few posts Rudy implied about $2,000 in total; however, although it seems there may have been a larger difference due to exchange rates, he did indicate  €400.00 in shipping for his Oris 150 horns (it is not exactly clear if that is each horn since sent in two boxes or in total).

Edit: Based on these rates from X-rates.com the €400.00 would have been about U.S. $534 during February 2013 and about U.S. $444 in June 2015.  In addition, assuming no price change for the horns in Euro between the periods under discussion, based on these conversion rates the Oris 150 would have been more expensive in U.S. dollars too at about U.S. $1,174 during 2013 vs. the U.S. $976 above for 2015.

2013 Exchange Rate Average (US Dollar, Euro).jpg

2015 Exchange Rate Average (US Dollar, Euro).jpg

post-36163-0-00820000-1433434909_thumb.j

post-36163-0-13380000-1433434928_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

Pretty sure the oris horns ship in 1 box They rest inside each other, now there may be a second box for all the other parts

I have shipped 3 pairs and always ship them 1 horn over the other in affect making them twice as strong and much less prone to damage

What is the downfall to a round mid other than its size?  Is there a reason Klipsch doesn't offer a round horn for its theater or pro line?

I believe the different vertical coverage pattern would cause much more interaction with the ceiling and floor as opposed to the rectangular pro line horns. 

Pretty sure the oris horns ship in 1 box They rest inside each other, now there may be a second box for all the other parts

I have shipped 3 pairs and always ship them 1 horn over the other in affect making them twice as strong and much less prone to damage

In looking more closely at Rudy's pictures one box makes sense. 

Openbox.jpg

What is the downfall to a round mid other than its size?  Is there a reason Klipsch doesn't offer a round horn for its theater or pro line?

unwanted vertical dispersion

I received 6 pieces of Oris 150 horns plus all other parts in one 32" * 32" * 18" crate:

more pictures here: link

post-41711-0-04060000-1433439286_thumb.j

• Like 3

I'm overseas right now, so am not sure what all the excitement is about.  The horns shipped in one large box.  At the time prices quoted were correct and exchange rate was different than it is today.  The $2000 discussion was relative to the cost of new AER or Lowther drivers. 

I'm going off the top of my head right now, but the horns were roughly $1200, plus the import taxes plus the shipping.  Not really sure why this matters. 

• Like 3

Not really sure why this matters

I think it just lets people know about how much they would be spending if going this route.  All in all the prices don't seem that bad.   Thanks for taking the time to chime in.

• Like 1

unwanted vertical dispersion

I received 6 pieces of Oris 150 horns plus all other parts in one 32" * 32" * 18" crate:

more pictures here: link

attachicon.gifBD-Deisign Horns arrival (8).jpg

I believe the different vertical coverage pattern would cause much more interaction with the ceiling and floor as opposed to the rectangular pro line horns. 

In looking more closely at Rudy's pictures one box makes sense. 

Thanks.   Maybe I should have asked what the advantages are for a round horn?

they stage and image like crazy. For near field listening they sound excellent IMO.

Exactly my experience since the first time I listened to a pair.  The room was nothing special, not treated in any way.  The sound was amazing IMHO. I chased that sound for years with every single Heritage speaker in the line up.  I then started modifying Khorns and eventually trying my own builds of all sorts of things.  Finally bit the bullet and ordered a set.  Even with modest drivers, like the Tang Bands I still use, they are amazing to MY ears.  I have since stopped upgrading, modifying and looking for other speakers.  I am very happy with the Oris and the Tang Band drivers.  I did focus on fine tuning the acoustics in my room with absorbers and diffusers that have made my HT a fun place to listen to 7.1 and 2.1 music, movies etc. Interestingly, I ended up with Open Baffle DIY speakers which also sound very good in combination with the Oris.

Besides the above mentioned pricing for the horns, the drivers, shipping, VAT and import taxes, you need to add professional painting if you want them to look nice plus some sort of stand for the horns.

Edited by Rudy81
  • Like 5

• 4 years later...