Introduction. Didn't see a newbie forum

skifastbadly

Hello. My name is skifastbadly, and I am a Klipsch-a-holic. I didn't see a better place to introduce myself. It all started in the mid 80s, when I had some real money to finally spend on a stereo system and upgraded from my crappy collegiate ultra-linears. Those were the days when there were actual high end stero shops that employed knowledgeable audiophiles selling serious equipment. I purchased a set of kg4s. And I loved them to death. I powered them with a Harmon Karmon integrated amp. I played LPs through them, and eventually CDs. It all came to a sad end though one day when my wife a wonderful women but who doesn't listen too well, closed the door on the cabinet containing the amp, causing it to overheat, which fried the amp which in a last gasp of life fired out a death charge through the speaker wires. And that was the end of the kg4s. But they gave me ten or twelve great years of service, so off I went to another serious stereo store (I had no idea these places were facing rapid extinction) and got a pair of KLF 20s powered by an Adcom GTP 455 tuner/pre-amp and Adcom GFA 535 amp. This was about 1998, and the fact that the pre-amp didn't have a phono input didn't really bother me... Since then I've upgraded the 455 to a 500II (which has a phono input) and the 535 to a 555. I also moved all my CDs to the computer in lossless format, and take a direct digital feed out of it to an Adcom GDA 700 DAC. It rocks.

Eventually I purchased a home theatre system, that's powered by a Rotel RSX 1067 and using Klipsch RF 63s for the left and right channel, a similarly spec'd Klipsch center channel which is too big for me to move and check the model number on, and some lesser Klipsch floorstanding speakers for surround that apparently Klipsch was too embarrased about to put the model number on.

So, that's who I am and that's what it is. If my behavior pattern here matches other forums I've joined, (you can find me on advrider.com) I'll be piping up on occasion, giving bad advice to people asking questions, and making the occasional snide remark. I'll also be watching the advice given to others on speaker wires, bi wiring, bi amping, vinyl vs. digital, and other fascinating irresolvable topics.

See ya!

Skifastbadly,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you will fit in just fine around here. Most of us have a few screws short but are pretty much harmless.

Eventually I purchased a home theatre system, that's powered by a Rotel RSX 1067 and using Klipsch RF 63s for the left and right channel, a similarly spec'd Klipsch center channel which is too big for me to move and check the model number on, and some lesser Klipsch floorstanding speakers for surround that apparently Klipsch was too embarrased about to put the model number on.

How do you like your RF-63's? I am guessing that your center channel may be an RC-64 with (4) 6.5 inch woofers. I have enjoyed my RF-63's for almost five years and have found no reason to replace them.

Hope to see you around here now and then.

Bill

Hi Bill,

You're right the center is an RC 64. I very much like the RF 63s, I've never listened to them in an dedicated two channel audio set up. I would someday like to do an A/B comparison between the RFs and the KLFs but they're on two different floors and all weigh a ton so unless I get super ambitious, that's not gonna happen. I would say the RFs sound a bit brighter than the KLFs but as the engineers say, that's linear rectal extraction.

Welcome, I like the name, it's the only way I can.

I like this guy, he's going to fit in perfectly. Yes

I believe that...don't they call you Elden No Brakes? Welcome new guy...you're name is kinda long, so i'll just call you Dude for now. Hey, i live at the beach, everyone's name is Dude. I guess we won't be asking you for ski advice. Stick around...most of the people here are rude and annoying; and the ones aren't are arrogant--but somehow they're okay anyway. You'll like it here.

Steve

Must resist these mythical titanium tweeter dome replacements. Sounds complicated.

On a *somewhat* more serious note, the KLFs: I got googled into thinking that they should be bi-wired, so I removed the metal connectors between the pairs of posts....and then I moved to a different job/state/house. Since I had to run the wires under the floor and drill holes in the hardwood floor to, as my wife puts it, "hide the damned wires", I dropped an email to the folks at Klipsch asking if bi-wiring actually did anything. I got a nice response from an engineer saying as far as he was concerned it didn't make a difference (given proper gauge) but they made them 'bi wireable' mostly for marketing purposes. Anyway, I only ran one set of wires but somehow in the move I've misplaced the original gold plated connectors and have them bridged with some wire, which doesn't make any difference sonically but sort of bugs me from a feng shui perspective. Anybody know where those can be obtained?

Welcome... this is kinda like where I work.

"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave..."

Good thing I don't ski (snow or water)

Guitars will get you the same way... you can never have too many... right Steve?

Bruce

Welcome SkiFast, might I suggest you avoid the "Garage Sale" forum where evil members await to tempt you with shiny objects in an attempt to seperate you from your money supply. Or in the words of Monty Python "perform a total cashectomy." Good luck.