Heresy I capacitor recommendations?

rjsilva

2 minutes ago, BassBlaster&TweeterHeater said:

Since these Solen caps are physically smaller if I remove the old caps am I throwing the interior volume of the cabinet out of whack?

You can always throw a candy bar in each one if it concerns you.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

The Heresy's I bought  already had the caps replaced...  It wasn't the prettiest of jobs, but it worked.  The previous owner used Solens, but since I am redoing them, I picked up some Sonicaps.  

49785319727_e19e50debb_h.jpg

Why are the old oil can caps still in there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Why are the old oil can caps still in there?

So you see it too? 😛

I decided to clean it up and put it all on newer, smaller boards. I just got done moving it all over and will solder tomorrow. 

IMG_20200421_210815~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassBlaster&TweeterHeater said:

My other pair of Heresy's has a different crossover. It says "Type E-2" on the data plate. And it has 3 caps instead of 2. Is there anything to know about these before I restore them?

Not really.  As always just replace with caps of the same value. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BassBlaster&TweeterHeater said:

My other pair of Heresy's has a different crossover. It says "Type E-2" on the data plate. And it has 3 caps instead of 2. Is there anything to know about these before I restore them?

"Data plate", lol. You mean the label?

Yes, you need to know you're changing three caps instead of two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was experiencing a conundrum as I was posting my question. I thought "Hmmm, it has some sort of identifier affixed to its edge" I got a little closer, I could see it labeled the outputs going to the different drivers and yet it was more than just a paper tag. Weighing my options I felt its edge "by the smelting forges of Olympus! ITS METAL!" This was no mere label.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first pair I replaced them in is like a completely different set of speakers now. Those caps must have been seriously compromised as playing at sound levels I enjoy would put my amplifier into safe mode pretty quickly, now I can't drive them hard enough to get it to shut down. I'm looking up those Ukrankian caplasters now, I hope they aren't too expensive.

13 minutes ago, BassBlaster&TweeterHeater said:

The first pair I replaced them in is like a completely different set of speakers now. Those caps must have been seriously compromised as playing at sound levels I enjoy would put my amplifier into safe mode pretty quickly, now I can't drive them hard enough to get it to shut down. I'm looking up those Ukrankian caplasters now, I hope they aren't too expensive.

what brand did you use -----the H1-E network  uses 2 x 2 UF caps --

8 minutes ago, BassBlaster&TweeterHeater said:

Here's my amateur efforts on the first pair.

looks good these are Solen Caps ---made in France -----these are not very expensive --------do you like the sound

I read people swearing by different brands that were all pretty expensive. And I read posts by people swearing there was NO difference in any capacitor as long as the values were the same. So I was about to by Sonicaps when i found a post recommending some pretty inexpensive French caps called Solens. I'll have to pull up my invoice but I think they were less than 5 bucks a piece, with shipping the total was like 24 dollars. I got those. I LIKE THEM !

I

1 minute ago, BassBlaster&TweeterHeater said:

I  wouldn't hesitate to buy more myself.

they are a great deal for the price ------, excellent product ,, much better than Mexican or Chinese caps - -

• Like 1