Troy Built snow blower

Guest " "

We got a 12" dusting last night. The day before I checked out my 6.5 horse power lawn mower engine snow blower which i had for a few years and it had some issues. Probally a 300 dollar service bill on a 550 dollar snow blower. In my math, it doesn't make sense to stretch out the life of thse things. So I bought a Troy built snow blower. In picking one out, there were at least four in the size and features I was looking for. Confusing to say the least. So I decide to try the cheapest in the group. 599 for a 173cc snow blower. built like a tank. So the test run this morning....the thing feels like it can drag a car down the street and snow doesnt have a chance. even ice slush was thrown with east. was concerned when I left the store that maybe 173 cc's wasn't enough. But that DOHC engine runs circles around the briggs and straton engine on the older model.

You guys got hammered. Heck, you are still getting hammered.

As for that old blower, you should be looking at the carb. I'd bet ethanol has gummed up the carb, and wicked a lot of water into your gas. Anything rubber like o-rings and hoses are probably also eaten up by the ethanol. Replace the fuel, clean the carb and jets, and replace those rubber parts, and you might be able to sell that old one for some bucks.

I thought that Troy Bilt used brigss, but I could be wrong. Either way I know there newer snow blowers really stand up to the challenge. I have herd good things about these, even being compared to a 1200.00 Toro snowblower. Glad to hear it is working for you, and hope you don't get to much snow.

Troy builds their own engines.

I bought a two-stage Troy Storm maybe 5 (?) years ago. Sure came in handy during the blizzard we had two winters ago. Cut through drifts like they weren't even there.

BTW, Troy makes these for at least 6 other brand names, not necessarily saying they are all the same quality.

post-10840-13819829334912_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The old snow blower might become a motorized trailer dolly if I ever get it running. Take off the plow and ad a trailer hitch.....6,5 Hp should be enough

Now that would be very handy for moving trailers. [Y]

Personally never seen a snowblower operate, but it does look fun as I type at 72 degrees.

so on the old blower...we took the float bowl off and cleared out all the varnish deposits...sprayed the float pin and float bowl and it started and ran fine. so maybe a trailer dolly will come out of this or maybe the old blower will wind up on. graigslist.

I got around 15 inches where I live, surprisingly my greenworks electric snow blower did fine

4116592_f520.jpg

I wouldn't say it was fast but for 169 dollars at Amazon free shipping no tax it did fine

Also this was how I went up my driveway during the snow storm, I shoveled 10 minutes prior to going up.

LvjY08i.jpg

I got around 15 inches where I live, surprisingly my greenworks electric snow blower did fine

4116592_f520.jpg

I wouldn't say it was fast but for 169 dollars at Amazon free shipping no tax it did fine

Also this was how I went up my driveway during the snow storm, I shoveled 10 minutes prior to going up.

LvjY08i.jpg

This is a nice looking unit...

About 30-years ago my dad had a TB rotor tiller that was god-awful big. There was also a man living across the street from that wanted till his back yard to start a veggie garden. This yard hasn't been tilled, much less seeded for grass in almost 80-years. Did I mention the guy wanted the garden thought he was the toughest tough-guy and the hardest he's ever been hit was when a wrench he was pulling on an engine came loose and he smacked himself in the jaw not stopping in time.

Soooooo....I loaned him the tiller for a day and that yard had so many burried 30-40lb. rocks that that tiller hit, and him not letting go of the tiller handles or his over inflated ego......well......it was hillarious the next day when he admitted he got beat up by piece of farm equipment.

post-5564-13819829559172_thumb.jpg

Search out, find, and only use ETHANOL FREE gasoline in your small engines.

As I understand it, it has been mandated that ALL refineries add ethanol to their gasiline. I have been told that if somebody is offering ethanol free gas for sale at a higher price, that they are lying. I have not confirmed this.

Here is a way to get the ethanol out of your gasoline.

Add a pint of tap water to a gallon of gas. Shake it up. The water will bind to the ethanol and settle to the bottom. On the positive side, no more ethanol problems. On the negative side, you just threw away 10% of your gas, and it takes a while for the water and ethanol to seperate.

As I understand it, it has been mandated that ALL refineries add ethanol to their gasiline. I have been told that if somebody is offering ethanol free gas for sale at a higher price, that they are lying. I have not confirmed this.

We have more than one station here in the Chattanooga area that have E-free gas. The price difference is negligible, especially if you are buying for your lawn equipment.

Bruce