FOR SALE: Cary AE-25 Super Amp

Deang

No, I haven't lost my mind -- well, I guess that's debateable.

I just finalized a deal on a DJH version of the same amp. I wanted more headroom and it looks like I'm going to get it.

Therefore, I'm selling the one I'm presently using.

It is the base version, however - it has some upgrades.

It has the oil filled coupling caps

Kimber select wiring throughout

Kimber powercord

Volume control for CD direct

I just retubed last month. It will come with NOS Siemens EL-34's, NOS 6GC7 RCA Cleartops, and NOS Beckman labeled, Amperex 6922 (gold pins).

You all know what I think about this amp.

$975

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Psalm 122:6f>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-20-2002 at 09:34 AM

Good luck.

I have one sitting on my right Cornwall looking rather forlorn as well. I posted Robinson's Cary/AES Triode AE-25 Super Amp to AudiogoN awhile back and have had very lukewarm response, this after running a king-hell ad. Hard to believe, but in the time it has been up, the ad has recieved over 2300 views! That's insane. Unfortunately, there have only been a smattering of responses from mostly tire kickers.

super_screen.jpg

The AudiogoN Ad Link

Your amp does have the Oil Coupling Caps which I consider a worthy upgrade for this piece after listening for awhile. Did they install Jensen? I know they have both kinds, Jensen being the far better of the two. AES ends up putting the lessor quality choice of oils in their preamps as an option. I think they use Jensen in the amps. Know they do in the DJH version, which also brings in user adjustable bias along with the better power trans. They get rid of all the Electrolytics in the amp as well. The stock amp is a very nice sounding piece though. I found that the power cord did make a bit of difference as well; I was using the Asylum Cable from DIYCable to good effect. It did better the stock cable.

People just dont seem to be putting down in the 900 area for this amp at the moment. I could change next month, however. You never know.

Good luck.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-20-2002 at 12:36 PM

It sounds like a really neat amp but I just had to buy a new harddrive, ping pong table for the kids to use over the summer, and wife just bought a dog.

Put quite a bit of money into HDTV over the past few months(looking at a Discovery channel promo on insects as I type).

The video experiement is interesting but I feel the need for a turntable and tubes. It may have to wait until next year.

Talk about poor etiquitte.

I had a guy make me an offer of $975 yesterday morning and I accepted. He said since he lived in Cincinnati, he would come pick it up. So I emailed him directions to my house.

I didn't hear anything back from him so I sent him another email asking him to let me know when he was coming.

Nothing.

So, another email late yesterday afternoon asking him if there was any chance he could come Sunday morning around 10A.M. because I had to be at work by noon.

Nothing.

So today I sent him ANOTHER email asking him to please respond so we could conclude the transaction.

FINALLY he responds that he has changed his mind.

I wrote back saying that since he made an offer and I accepted, backing out meant I was going to leave negative feedback.

He responded that I wasn't allowed to do that because a "transaction" never took place.

I said hogwash, and told him to read the whole thing.

Criteria for feedback submission:

Only transactions resulting from an Audiogon listing qualify for feedback submission. In addition, feedback may be submitted only if one of the following events have occurred:

- Buyer winning a bid at auction, if reserve is met.

- Seller receiving a bid at auction above reserve price.

- Buyer sending payment to a seller in a verifiable form.

- Seller shipping an item to a buyer in a track-able manner.

Feedback should be left after your transaction has reached some form of finality (delivery, cancellation, attempted settlement, etc). You may submit at most one feedback per transaction, so wait until it is completed.

I also took him to AudiogoN Expected Etiquette: under Making offers:

Some items may be listed as Or Best Offer (obo), where you may make offers. This is less strictly defined than the auctions, but we offer some guidelines. If you make an offer, you should be ready to follow through, if your offer is accepted within 24 hours.

This kind of thing has gotten completely out of hand on AudiogoN. I feel like the only way to weed these people out is to discourage them from using AudiogoN as an on-line sales tool. The only way to do that is with negative feedback.

Since this person finally apologized, was 'new' and had two positives -- I told him I would let it slide, but asked him NOT to do this anymore.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

AES Super Amp DJH * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Psalm 122:6f>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-22-2002 at 03:15 PM

I know it was annoying for this to happen (it happened to me with the same amp three times), but this does not qualify for bad feedback since this was not an auction. If you read the rules carefully, you see the reference to "auction" and not normal sale. The reference to cancellation refers to a seller suddenly backing out and cancelling the sale. So, in essence, the buyer was right. Although bad etiquette, and a total pain, I dont think you are supposed to leave feedback on this matter.

Still, this does not excuse him doing this.

kh

------------------

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-24-2002 at 02:43 AM

I'm considering the possibility tube equipment for my system. Just a couple of question to the participants of this thread, if I may:

- What is the life expectancy of the average tube on an amp or preamp, on equipment that expects to have daily use of about 2 - 3 hours?

- Should tube equipment be left on rather than be subject to daily warm up and shut down?

- Are tubes best used in the amp stage, preamp stage or both? Is there any sonic risk in having a SS pre amp and a tube amp in the same system?

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

I was starting to answer this damn thing with a multi-paragraph affair and the entire mess got erase with one push. Christ....

I'll see if I can fire up the resolve to respond a bit later. There is plenty of stuff in the archives in 2 Channel about this as well.

kh

------------------

CD Player Rega Planet

Tubes will last about three years, give or take 6 months. I based this on a little over 3000 hours of total usage.

The power output tubes will go first, followed by the drivers in both amp and preamp, and then, the tubes for the buffer stages.

It's not really good to power on and power off everyday. OTOH, it's not good either to leave them on all the time. The best approach, and the one I use -- is to schedule your listening time. I leave my gear powered up for four days and powered off for three. I listen Monday-Thursday and kill it Thursday night before bed. Too much chaos around my house through the weekend -- so this works best for me.

No sonic risk at all running any combination of SS and tubes. Most folks find the greatest benefit in a combo situation by running a tubed preamp with SS amp.

Of course, both tubed preamp and tubed amp is better than combination schemes.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

AE-25 Super Amp DJH * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Metal drivers make metal music shinef>c>s>

• 14 years later...

Seems like yesterday. Those were good times.

I now have an Onix Sp3, it's a lot of amplifier for the money. Unlike the AE-25, and most of the current value oriented Asian offerings - it has a real preamp section - and I love the attenuator. The build quality and attention to detail is astounding for a unit that sold for $1K.

Now, if I could just find the time to unbox it and hook it up! :-)

The great majority of my music listening is with headphones - I kind of got hooked on that, and it's hard to break away from it - the sound is just so good. The LaScalas mostly pull HT duty, and they're truly awesome for that - it's hard to find the motivation to unbox and hook up the Sp3 - since I'm pretty content with the situation as it is. 

4 hours ago, Deang said:

Seems like yesterday. Those were good times.

I now have an Onix Sp3, it's a lot of amplifier for the money. Unlike the AE-25, and most of the current value oriented Asian offerings - it has a real preamp section - and I love the attenuator. The build quality and attention to detail is astounding for a unit that sold for $1K.

Now, if I could just find the time to unbox it and hook it up! :-)

The great majority of my music listening is with headphones - I kind of got hooked on that, and it's hard to break away from it - the sound is just so good. The LaScalas mostly pull HT duty, and they're truly awesome for that - it's hard to find the motivation to unbox and hook up the Sp3 - since I'm pretty content with the situation as it is. 

I'm curious what makes you think the Onix SP3 has some type of special preamplifier built into it beyond what ever other modern tube integrated?

Almost all of the inexpensive "integrated" tube amplifiers on the market aren't really integrated amplifiers - they just supply you with a way to attenuate the output - there isn't any front end - just a volume control (like the AE-25). The sp3 has a preamplifier section driven with the two 12ax7s. 

It is interesting to reread past comments about our gear, and then to see where we went afterwards, which is usually before some other previous gear, and then to read opinions about current holdings. It would be interesting to know how many are die hard hangers-on to equipment for decades.

SSH