Center Channel

gsxr970

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum. These forum members have a lot of experience with the Klipsch line and their suggestions are right on target. Ultimately your ears have to judge the SQ in your room. Some people have trouble with dialogue and the speaker is not the problem, the room interaction is the problem.

Thanks for you input Bill. Maybe you can help me here, you seem to have a pretty sweet setup, so I have new RF-82's and will have 4 RS-62's (I only have 2 currently) and that RS-35, It's in mint condition but I was deceived by the seller, they advertised it as a RC-62 and that's what I thought I was buying. Now I have all these speakers but nothing is connected yet because I've decided to buy all my speakers and my Yamaha Receiver LAST. Just because I want to have everything in place before I experience the sound of these speakers. I bought the RC-35 for only $100.00!!! Is the difference going to be so dramatic that I should try and sell the RC-35 for $300-$400 to buy the RC-62 II or do you think I could make adjustments to dial in the RC-35 to suit the rest of the speaker system? I appreciate any input you could give me, and I appreciate you time.

Chad

I bought the RC-35 for only $100.00!!! Is the difference going to be so dramatic that I should try and sell the RC-35 for $300-$400 to buy the RC-62 II or do you think I could make adjustments to dial in the RC-35 to suit the rest of the speaker system?

If you can get $300.00 to $400.00 for the RC-35, you are doing real well. IMO, $250.00 is close to tops. With that said, the RC-35 will work okay but the RC-62II(and RC-62) is far superior. IMO, the crossover points on the RC-35 are not as well thought out as the RC-62 and it shows in sound quality and timber.

Bill

No question here. Sell the RC-35 and buy a RC-62. The center channel and subwoofer are the two most important speakers in your HT (IMO). You might be able to sell the RC-35 for $200 and pick up a RC-62 for $400, that would be the best $200 investment you could make with your setup. $2k worth of surounds and $200 in your center it totally backwards. Get the RC-62 and never look back. Welcome BTW!

Thanks Bill, even if I could get $250-$300 for it I guess I'd still be making out better. I should have known it was to good to be true at $100.00 First time I've even been screwed by buying something online, but then again I might end up being ahead so I'm not to disappointed. Thanks again for you input.

• Moderators

[Y]

Welcome GSX............I agree 100% with Bill, remember the center channel is as important as the mains, most of the dialog and much more is directly from the center, no reason to dial down the mains or push the center harder to try to keep up. imo

Definitely get a RC-62II and never look back. No amount of adjusting can timbre match your center to match your RF-82IIs. If money is an issue, you might consider getting a pair of RB-61IIs for your back surrounds for half the price of the RS-62IIs which would more than offset buying the new center. Most people and even THX suggest bookshelf speakers for your back surrounds over bipoles or dipoles. The information coming out of those channels is more directional. Either way you can't go wrong though.

No question here. Sell the RC-35 and buy a RC-62. The center channel and subwoofer are the two most important speakers in your HT (IMO). You might be able to sell the RC-35 for $200 and pick up a RC-62 for $400, that would be the best $200 investment you could make with your setup. $2k worth of surounds and $200 in your center it totally backwards. Get the RC-62 and never look back. Welcome BTW!

from your quote, the center channel and sub is the most important speakers in your HT. i'll agree with the sub but a center channel to me is over rated. have you guys ever heard k-horns in your house or a friends. i remember when the academy first came out i went to my local klipsch dealer to buy one to use between my k-horns and he just laughed. he said you don't need one. he passed up a sale of what 400-600 whatever they cost back then. i tried a rc-3/heresy/vertical cornwall/belle and finally a lascala that finally sounded good enough.

in other words why don't you recommend for these guys to get the best center like the RC-64ii.

• Moderators

a center channel to me is over rated

Just curious why you went with a Lascala then instead of doing without?

in other words why don't you recommend for these guys to get the best center like the RC-64ii.

Although the RC-64ii is a much better center than the RC-62ii, it was never intended to be used with the RF-82ii and is not voice matched to them. It would be similar to having a Khorn for a center and a pair of Heresy's as your mains. [;)]

I am probably gonna be demonized for this but..... I have absolutely no problem running an RC-64ii with my rf-83's. A perfectly matched center to mains is probably "better", and granted rf83's are not rf82's,but I do not have voice matching problems.( that I notice)

I prefer to listen in 2 channel for music , so basically my center is for movies,t.v, etc. I do not think that having the newer reference center ,with older reference speakers makes a whole lot of difference for movies..when dialog sweeps/pans from the left or right there is no issue as far as cohesiveness .

I talked to support at Klipsch prior to buying the 64ii , and whoever I talked to said the matching would not be a big deal, to me it isn't.

I agree with everyone about getting the best you can, and the recommended center would be the route to go.

by the way, welcome ,mark