DIY wooden horn

Brac

when i was a kid turning wood on a lathe was great fun at the NLR Boy's Club is something i still remember as fun.

haven't done it since then. can hardly imaginine working on a monster lathe like that one.

dtel, think you are right about being dangerous. you'd really have to know what you are doing to manage that, and still it could be dangerous. while watching it. i wondered a dozen times how much the guy was paying for the project.

• Moderators

dtel, think you are right about being dangerous. you'd really have to know what you are doing to manage that, and still it could be dangerous. while watching it. i wondered a dozen times how much the guy was paying for the project.

Looking at something that big and heavy spinning like that is not going to slow down quick at all. He had the cutter in a crack when cutting out the inside, if something was to bind in any way that bar he was holding would not just sit on the stand it would go somewhere ? Or if just a big piece broke off would be dangerous.

I have done some stupid things but I wouldn't try that, I'm chicken. Maby a little bowl or something. [Y]

Wood turning is fairly low speed, and you want to presume the tool is going to bind or catch on something and already be out of the way. Wood is also MUCH lower density than metal. I haven't even watched turning in years, but the area I live in, SoCal, has a large wood turning community, so posting a note at the local Rocklers would likely find me somebody willing to help or do the actual turning.

BTW a bowl is advanced work due to the diameter and desire for thin walls. Chair or table legs are beginner projects.

BTW a bowl is advanced work due to the diameter and desire for thin walls. Chair or table legs are beginner projects.

This guy has a lot of samples where the bowls have 1/8 inch walls. That's getting pretty thin!

Bruce