K 402's arrived!!!

juniper8

congrats on safe arrival.

hope you can post pics and post on your system when time allows

I most certainly will, still up in the air about the design. Strongly leaning towards dual 15's in about 24 cubic foot boxes. I was very happy to see that the 402's arrived unscathed. The boxes did have some damage so I WAS VERY CONCERNED, I opened them up at the freight depot to make sure they were unharmed. Luckily the shipping company packed them suspended in the middle of huge boxes, with 6" of space around all sides except the horn mouth which was sat on a pallet with some type of rubber like material. What was really interesting was that there was hardly any packing materials, mainly cardboard straps that held the horns in the center of the box.

You are more than welcome anytime, for hearing this system or my current ones, as are other forum members. I have a bunch of eq to acquire before these start to play. If anyone in the mpls/st.paul area wants to have a listen and has la scalas or khorns or another type of acceptable speaker, and an active crossover let me know. I will bring them by.

Coytee, complete leap of faith, with lots of positive input I have read on this board and in other places. I have read many a time it is a great horn. We do all have different ears and different listening styles and different experiences as far as listening. I have been looking for a horn that can play classical music for a bit, hopefully this is the one!!!!

You are more than welcome anytime, for hearing this system or my current ones, as are other forum members. I have a bunch of eq to acquire before these start to play. If anyone in the mpls/st.paul area wants to have a listen and has la scalas or khorns or another type of acceptable speaker, and an active crossover let me know. I will bring them by.

Pat,

I for one would like to hear these horns!......Are you aiming for a Jubilee type setup?......Or what are you planning for the Bass Bins?

Hey Cut-throat when I find an active crossover we can try them with your K-horns. I am hoping one of these days for some Jub cabinets to pop up. Right now I'am thinking of doing a Onken w build which is a Japanese designed, simple br cabinet, but bumping up the cubic feet to around 24'. The design calls for sand filled walls which I will pass on because that bumps the weight up to around 600lbs per cab.

4 altec 416 8 b's, should sound pretty good? It seems that this box, with these drivers, can keep up with some very large horns, some that are much bigger than the 402..

If I correctly read between the lines of what you're saying, my interpretation of it is the Altec's can keep up with the 402's or some horns that are even larger (louder?) than the K402.

If that's accurate, my understanding with respect to size isn't so much about the ability to play loud as much as it is for the horn to control the sound to a lower frequency.

All things being equal, the larger the horn, the lower the frequency the horn can handle. At one of the pilgrimages to Hope, there was a chance to hear some things in their chamber before the official crowds arrived. One thing I heard (along with some other folks) was the K402 on top of the Jubilee bass bin. We then swapped to the K510 on top of the bass bin. Similar designs for the horns, one is much bigger. You could stand behind the speaker and hear a lot more spillage of sound when the K510 was used. You could hear some spillage of sound with the K402 as well however, you were clearly hearing less with the 402 than the K510. This helped show (prove to) me how the size of the horn helped control the sound.

Hopefully, if I'm butchering the above too much, someone else who knows more technical things will chime in & correct me.

Seems to me that if you can cross at 500hz or more, you're going to be able to make it sound great.