Used tuner recommendations??

Since my newly acquired preamp doesn't have a tuner, I'm in need of an AM/FM unit suitable for occasional duty in my HT. I want good bang for the buck in sound - no need for a top of the line unit (unless it's a steal). This is an area that I know little about, and want to make an educated purchase. Even some searches in some online forums come up "blurry" at best - I'm no more clear than when I started reading.

Used units are fine - in fact, preferred, due to cost. No specific price range (but certainly under $500). I don't mind analog units, if there are compelling reasons to go that route. Any ideas??

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

dndphishin,

There's plenty of info available on tuners. Try -

Tuner Info Page

It's a great source of information on tuners, new and old. I've tried many different units (Mac, Yamaha, Fisher, Sony, Magnum, etc.) and so far my favorite is a 20 something year old Accuphase T-101. I paid $16.00 for it at a swap meet and had it tuned up by Accutech for another $60.00. My friends have a/b'd it against some pretty expensive competition (Mac MR78 & 80, MD Etude, Marantz 2130 to name a few.) and it sounds better than them all. I also have a 1968 Sony 5000FW that is very nice too. Both of these units would cost many thousands of dollars today if built with the same quality and workmanship.

Good Luck

Chris

------------------

http://cgi.AudioAsylum.com/systems/2235.html

I second the nomination of the Yahoo Tuner Info page as a great source of info on tuners. Based on their input, I was out shopping with a printout of the page in my back pocket. Went into a pawn shop on a lark, and found a Yamaha T-85 in very good condition priced at $50!! Obvously they didn't know what they had, and I whisked that one out the door and into the car as quickly as I could.

I am still experimenting with antennas, and this is one are where, if you're going to plunk down between $300 and $500 for a good tuner, you should not skimp. The internal bipolar antennas that are packed with most units will pull in a signal OK. But, as someone who has been an avid FM fan all his life once told me, a $200 tuner with an externally mounted Yagi-style antenna will consistently blow away a $1000 tuner with a bipolar antenna.

Enternal antennas are critical if you live in rural areas, or over 25 - 30 miles from the transmitter of your favorite station. While you might still receive decent reception, an external antenna will bring the audio from your tuner to life.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Some variability exists in each setup, with the variables being, among other things, quality of the tuner, type of antenna, distance from the transmitter, atmospheric conditions, etc.

However, "near cd-quality" is possible with optimum conditions and equipment. FM broadcasts are processed through electronic limiters (limiting the db swings of recorded music or other content), and frequency range is generally limited to 30 hz - 16 khz (approx). Most musical CD content is within this range.

Quality of equipment is another variable, as mentioned above. Visit the tuner information page mentioned above for a detailed explanation of tuner design.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

This message has been edited by whell on 06-25-2002 at 07:49 AM

Whell, I will take your claim one step higher.... Potentiall GREATER than CD quality(musical-wise) can sometimes be achieved with a very good, uncompressed, quality FM signal (with good source). Of course, most commercial FM signals are horrible...but go low on the dial and find a quality public station with a good engineer and equipment and the sound quality can be insanely musical, even making digital sound like a poor cardboard cutout, or worse....

kh

ps- Chris did mention a neat little informative page with some interesting tuner info, especially if on the vintage hunt via ebay. IF you missed it, take a looks at: http://geocities.com/tunerinfo/

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-26-2002 at 05:35 AM

MH -

Of course, you're right. We do have 2 NPR stations that are, sadly, mostly talk (what a waste of an FM frequency), one that plays good jazz from time to time (not the smooth jazz mass market music either).

Tuning in the stations in the Detroit area, we are able to receive Canadian broadcast out of Windsor. Doesn't hit my indoor antenna (working on this) as hard as I'd like, but still, the classic and jazz music originating from this station is a blessing. This station, sadly, has no counterpart on the FM dial with any station originating in Metro Detroit.

I really need to get that FM mast up on my chimney and start to pull in some stations from further out. Detroit FM is so homogenous, more so than many other cities I've sampled. The ability to DX with my current setup is limited, but to have even a little more selection would be a huge bonus.

Back to the original post from "dndphishin", this is the real reason one might want to drop a little more cabbage on a nice tuner: to be able to utitlize the tuner's potential to pull in more, distant signals (sensitivity) and then discriminate between signals that are closely adjacent to each other on the FM band (selectivity): be able to find and discern between various broadcasts to find content that you really want to listen to.

Damn the media conglomerates, full speed ahead!

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

This message has been edited by whell on 06-26-2002 at 12:02 PM

Check out Magnum Dynalab tuners,some use can be found qite heap...err under your $500 mark.

If you can find a Magnum Dynalab tuner you are set for life,these tuners are that good.I had the FT101 before,great tuner(sold because I dont listen to radio at all now).

New MD tuners start at $1000,used can be had for under $500.Their top of the line unit the Reference costs almost 6K(not a Wal-Mart tuner Wink.gif )!

All in all built to last and serve audiophiles for many mnay years.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Being a bit of a vintage Sansui fan, my totally unbiased suggestion cwm1.gifwould be one of their near TOTL tuners from the late 70's/early 80's. The TOTL TU-X1 usually goes for more than $500 but next ones down, the TU-919 and TU-719 should come under that. I'm looking around for one myself, having found a TU-417 and TU217 from lower down in the range both of which I enjoy listening to.

Jack

I selected the Accuphase T-101. I've located one in excellent condition, and should have possession of it shortly. I decided the AM wasn't important.

I'll post some comments in this thread once it gets here. If the writeups are correct, I think I'll be pleased with it.

Thanks for all of the advice!!

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

dndphishin,

You're gonna love the T-101. Like many have said, to get the best reception you need a good (not necessarily expensive) antenna. I've had the best results with a $10.00 Radio Shack set of TV "Rabbit Ears". I tried a MD Signal Sleuth, various cheaper signal amplifiers (Radio Shack, Terk, etc.) and none has done the job like the ears. You might want to have it serviced as it is almost 30 years old. The only US Accuphase authorized service center is Accutech in Gardena, CA. It happens to be 10 minutes from were I live and I've been there a few times. It's run by an ex long time Accuphase builder from Japan (Masa) and his son. In fact the odds are Masa likely built your unit. It'll probably cost $60.00-70.00 to have him completely go through your unit. Anyway, there are many top notch service guys out there like Mike Z. and a few others.

Links

Accutech

Mike Z's Vintage Electronic Repair

Regards,

Chris

------------------

click below to see my rig

• 2 weeks later...

The Accuphase is here! It's quite the tank, and looks impressive in the rack. Retro is good.

It is a very good sounding tuner, even on the compressed rock and roll channels! It has very good bass response (as advertised) and a fairly extended, but smooth, high end. I am truly surprised that radio could sound so good. I listened to it for about 4 hours last night, on several channels. I need to begin experimenting with antennas - I want to pull in a few distant stations, and make the overall sound better.

I intend to contact Masa at Accutech to show him my find. I want to find out from him what he thinks about shipping it out there. It seems to work OK, but I do think that letting Masa see it would be a good idea. If he thinks it's a good idea, I'll send it out.

Also - what cleaning solution should be used to clean the faceplate? It has a fair amount of fingerprints and grime on the etchings of the control knobs.

The Dynaco FM-3 may preferable to the FM-5 if you wish to go with a vacuum tube tuner.

It does not have AM however.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 07-17-2002 at 10:55 AM

dndphishin,

I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish on the knobs and faceplate (use small amounts). Came out spotless.

Can't say enough about Masa at Accutech. He probably isn't the one to talk to about modifications, but knows these units inside and out. Mine improved noticeably after he serviced it.

Good Luck,

Chris

------------------

click below to see my rig