Hi, My Name is Steve, and I'm a Klipsch Addict

I should have figured youre all a bunch of enablers! Ill never recover and will be looking to the next fix.

Tomorrow I head up to Oak Ridge, TN for the Fortes. The guy has some Heresys, too, and I see ads in the Knoxville Craigslist for more Klipsch speakers but I'm not stopping.

Heres a crazy thing. My sister and several cousins live nearby and I am focused solely on picking up the speakers and returning to Atlanta. Sick, no? But then, you havent met my relatives! [;)]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I for one am sick of all these people coming here and gushing over the sound of Klipsch. Cluttering up the place with their "aah's" and Ooohs". Pah, a pox on them all. What's needed here are more tributes to the glory days of Realistic Speakers. Now there was sound!

[:$]

Actually, I've gushed right here over the sound of my Rat Shack LX-5 Linauem speakers in near field use on my desk at home. I purchased 4 of these sometime in the mid-90s as my first HT surround system. I liked them in that application, actually quite a lot given the 75.00 each or so they cost. However, they were replaced by Fraziers and Klipsch as my collection grew, and gather dust in the garage.

Due to their size I put a pair on my desk 6 months or so ago, and was really blown away. At loud levels...which is really moderate power given they're only 3 feet or so from the ear, the imaging and clarity is striking. Bass a bit muddy and such, but not too much worse than anything else at this size short of kilobucks. Sort of like having a fine headset on without the headset part.

I've sat others in the chair and they a also surprised. The PAW uses them a lot whilst surfing the web and such. As to RS, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

Dave

"As to RS, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

Dave

Dave-

You're absolutely right about Rat Shack. I admit to being heartbroken when they took over the beloved Allied Radio, but I'm glad they're in the neighborhood when I need shrink tubing, a terminal, etc., urgently.

Google "RS-40-1197" to see a long discontinued Rat Shack "full range" driver with a cult following.

Google "RS-40-1197" to see a Rat Shack speaker with a cult following

[:$] busted again

I have 4 of those in the form of (I think) Minimus .5, though not in use. Probably the most cost effective small speaker I am aware of. Don't recall what I paid for them as it was a long time ago, but they were dirt cheap. Less efficient and more position critical than the LX-5, but also very impressive as near field monitors...which was precisely what I purchased them for.

One other "legendary" RS item: Their PZM microphone Crown knockoffs. Audible noise floor with the 1.5 AA battery, but once we found you could get a 3v cell to fit in there these things sounded about as good as the Crowns which cost $$$ more. Crown eventually shut them down once word got out.

Dave

Are you certain it was a knockoff?

Fostex made a version of its FE-103 for RS to sell as the 40-1197. Perhaps Crown made the mics for RS, but got tired of competing with itself . . . or RS might have been selling infringing knockoffs.

Are you certain it was a knockoff?

Fostex made a version of its FE-103 for RS to sell as the 40-1197. Perhaps Crown made the mics for RS, but got tired of competing with itself . . . or RS might have been selling infringing knockoffs.

Seems no one knew for sure. The PZM logo was on them, but I do not know the nature of the agreement. Crown MAY have made the heads, but I think the housing and such were outsourced and nowhere near the robustness of the Crowns...of which I have 5.

Legal or not, I believe your are correct about Crown not finding the competition to its liking. The sound of the RS model with the voltage increased was basically as good as the Crowns a around a seventh or so of the price. In my case, I might not ever have owned Crowns if the RS ones had remained available. Granted, I purchased mine off Ebay and such so it didn't help them a lot, but I get the point.

Dave

Welcome to the forum steve. I went to the Varsity not to long ago when we visited the aquarium in Atlanta. I live in Charleston, SC so not to far away. Most of us here have the same Problem. Started out with a Klipsch KW100 sub for my old JBL speakers, upgraded to the Synergy 12 Sub when Fellowship of the Ring first debuted on bluray. Swapped it for a RSW10d (still have it) then on to my full reference setup including the RF-83s, RC-64, RS-62s, RS-52s, and 2 RT-12ds with the king of the tvs at the time the Pioneer Elite Pro151fd 60.. thought it would end for a while then had a new house built with a dedicated theater room and just upgraded to the Full THX setup with 4 THX KW-120 subwoofers and 2 KA-1000 sub amplifiers and the Elite 70 Led. Just added a JVC RS-45 Projector and 115 cinescope screen and looking at a pair of RF-7iis or Khorns for downstairs.. Long of the short of it. Get ready to file divorcement papers. It doesnt end just gets worse but more fun.!!!

Annnnd.were back. I just completed what was possibly a gigantic fools errand, driving three hours to Oak Ridge, TN for a pair of Forte IIs. My wife didnt understand, my kids didnt understand and all questioned the sanity and safety of the endeavor. As I drove, I questioned myself, but on I went.

It turns out it was crazy foolish but also incredibly lucky. I obtained a pair of pristine oak Fortes in absolutely perfect condition and had a great visit with the owner. Heres the neat thing about this hobby. Aside from the wonderful Klipsch equipment, you meet interesting people who share a love of music and there you have a bond. You might be interested in some of the other items for sale on the Knoxville Craigslist. He has a couple of Heresy Is and a Heresy III, and there are other non-Klipsch audio equipment for sale. I even got to listen to some Magnepans for the first time. Awesome!

Im beginning to think my family wife, son, and daughter suffer some kind of acute deafness. Perhaps I should be grateful, as one Klipsch-aholic in the family is enough. After all, would it really be a good thing to have four of us vying to check out the sales listings? I think not.

Nevertheless, an ooh, or ahhhh! should have been in order after I connected these new Fortes. Whats wrong with these people? Maybe I should have turned on the amplifier.