Length vs width

McMiRA

What is more important in a theater room? The length or the width? I have been looking at many images of rooms and seen them done both ways. I was reading arttos thread and started searching the golden mean. I assume acoustically the same applies for 2 ch. any insight?

Let me clarify, I am Preplanning the addition on the house and have read and understand the pwk PDF on room size. What my question pertains to is when a room exceeds those dimensions lets say the short wall is 27. I will apologize in advance for multiple posts.

Novice opinion, length to decrease standing wave problems(rectangular with spearker on short wall). Unless you have speakers that need corners.

ALL speakers sound better in the corner!!

I want to eventually build an addition as well and plan on an exact 1.5 scale of the Golden Mean Cube, but you have to remember that height also figgures into that equasion!

Roger

Let me clarify, I am preplanning the addition on the house and have read and understand the PWK pdf on room size. What my question pertains to is when a room exceeds those dimensions lets say the short wall is 27.

See the tenth page of this article for the areas that are darkened in the plots - those are rooms whose ratios of length to height, plus width to height are good (the length being the longest dimension, and typically the width being the next longest dimension). It is not possible to talk about one dimension only - it is the ratios of room length to width to height, These plots are much better than any others that I've seen.

Note that there are actually three different plots - pick the one closest to your room volume: 50, 100 or 200 meters^3 (that's 1765, 3531, and 7064 feet^3)

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/7/1807974/JAES_V52_6_PG640.pdf

Chris

I once read that the perfect ratio for a home theater room is 1 x 1.6 x 2.6 (HxWxL). Example... 16' x 26' room with 10' ceiling.

I think that ratio seems spot on. I just happened to luck out and have a room very close to that ratio. My room is 12x22, it allows three rows three chairs wide. I would prefer the 16x26 so they could be four chairs wide and have a fourth row in back!