New Addition to the family......

Scrappydue

Ok let me start off by saying a few months back i bought a set of 1986 heresies with the intention of refinishing them and giving them to my son one day when he was old enough to take care of them. well getting out of the military and moving cross country really made me lose ambition on refinishing them. plus i would have liked speakers from my birth year (85) instead of 86. so i sold those a couple months ago. fast forward to last wednesday. i keep my craigslist pro up and running at all times. about 830 am i am at the gym and my pocket buzzes. i take my phone out to see it say 1985 klipsch cornwalls walnut MINT 450$. i immediately send an email asking a few questions. i get a response about two hours later. we go back and forth a few emails, and he says he is getting a lot of phone calls about them. if i am serious i was to call him since i was first to respond. he left me his number. i called him and he was a very nice guy that had just retired and said he had a very big attachment to the speakers as they were his first klipsch speakers. however being married with no kids his wife and him both seem to have alot of hobbies and she said it was time for some things to go. he had to get rid of his big speakers. so he replaced them with cherry RF-7II's LOL (not much smaller to the eyes). anyways there was extremely bad weather forecasted for the next two days. i asked if he would hold them till friday. he said i had better be a serious buyer as he had got so many calls and i was driving from 4 hours away. i told him i would bring cash in hand and if i like them they would go home with me. well obviously i bought them. they were in fantastic condition. he told me when i asked for a pic without the grills that was the 2nd time he had ever take the grills off! he gave me all original pamphlets and paperwork and everything that came with them when he bought them. well suffice to say i bought with asking the wife since she was in oregon on vacation. but knew i could just resell them if she hated them. well yesterday when i picked her up from the airport and brought her home, she walked in and looked at them, smiled and said when did you buy those? i told her the story and she said by far favorite speakers i have bought to date. said i could even sell the 63's if i wanted now that these could stay in the living room if i wanted. now they will be going in my 2 channel setup, although a full heritage home theater has already been crossing my mind. but that is down the road. for now i am just going to enjoy what i have. i love the sound of these things. i do plan on rebuilding the crossovers soon and going from there.

post-54961-13819853120978_thumb.jpg

i love my 63's! here are what i think the differences between the two to my ears are: i think the cornwalls sound a bit more froward, little more of a live sound if you will. i think they are more dynamic at a lower volume that my 63's. i think they stay better behaved when up really loud, probably due to being a 3 way and having the squawker. and i think they have a warmer sound to them. not that could be gear hooked up to them obviously, BUT both sets are being driven by emo amps which "should" sound the same. i have only been running the little emo mini x integrated on it, but next week i will bring all my 2 channel stuff and try them with a little more power and dedicated stereo pre amp and a better source than my ipad to get a real idea of what they will sound like in the future.

So they dont blow the 63s away?

well they definitely sound better to my ears with music for sure. but i think they will benefit from a bit more power. i know we all talk about efficiency and what not but i think a 3 way speaker containing a 15" driver will like 125 watts more than the 50 it is getting right now. plus i need to spread them out a bit further and i read the risers also improve bass response a bit as well. i have risers for them from the guy i picked them up from but they are unfinished. so i either gotta veneer them or i might just paint them black. they wouldn't even be noticed as black i'm betting