Cornwalls with Fastrac Horns Installed and Other Mods

stevensctt

Recently installed Fastrac Horns to my Cornwall I.

Other "changes" include:

Hickory Wood Veneer with several applications of Old Masters Tung Oil.
Crites B2 Crossovers

Built new risers to accommodate Ernie Ball removable amp caster.

Installed Binding Plate with Vampire Wire 5-Way Banana Posts

Photos are here:

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/st...ornwall?sort=3

Thats a different wood veneer. I like it. Most importantly how do they sound.

Thanks! The original finish was raw birch. Never really liked the birch or the unfinished cabinetry. This is the first time I used Hickory (often used interchangeably as Pecan). Hickory offers a more durable surface as well as a better grade cabinet look.

The Cornwalls with the Fastracs sound fantastic. Before trying the Fastracs I tried a single K400 horn placed on top of one speaker. I liked the openess of the bigger horn. My only complaint with the Corwalls as original, was my perception of a very congested mid range. Even aesthically, the K600 horn seemed to small for the overall size of the Cornwalls. The K400 convinced me to go with the Fastracs.

The Fastrac is every bit as open as the K400 and probably more so. From my short experience, the Fastrac is clearly the better horn, providing greater separation of voices and instruments. The Fastracs do maintain a certain edge, not a departure from the Cornwall's original presentation. Any issues with listener fatigue should be remedied with the Fastracs. The Cornwalls are now a much better blanced speaker.

Very pleased with my decision to go with the Fastrac. I may revisit the crossover situation but I'm at least 95% of where I wanted and expected to be.

On a side note, the installation of the Fastracs is a very easy project, taking less than hour for both speakers, start to finish.

I found that when I added a PH800 horn to my Cornwalls it really was a very easy task

AND the way Dave has designed his horns , his horn are even easier

a simple router template & you're good to go !! , just a simple clean-out, sqauring up of the rounded corners is all that is needed after the router cut

I found the SQ difference to be huge to my ears YMMV [<:o)]

but I had added the CT-125 & a new CornScala XO from Bob

But I did A/B with the larger horn on top with everything else stock as you did & the difference was very noticable to say the least

Looks like you have pretty much the same set-up I do!!

The only thing I would suggest is that if you're going to have casters, I would get some that lock in place. Having ones that move may cost a bit in the bass region. A solid mount between the cab and the floor is always good. A loose mount between the front end gear and floor is thusly desired.

Looks like you have pretty much the same set-up I do!!

The only thing I would suggest is that if you're going to have casters, I would get some that lock in place. Having ones that move may cost a bit in the bass region. A solid mount between the cab and the floor is always good. A loose mount between the front end gear and floor is thusly desired.

Thanks, the casters easily pop out. I remove them once the speakers are positioned.