HDMI 2.0 officially announced

TasDom

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/hdmi-2-0-official-4k-60fps-32-channel-audio/

Good info here:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#136

Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experienceUp to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelitySimultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screenSimultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (Up to 4)

Really cool stuff. Can't wait to rerun all my hdmi cables though the walls and ceilings lol.

No kidding but if it makes you feel better,

Does HDMI 2.0 require new cables?

No, HDMI 2.0
features will work with existing HDMI cables. Higher bandwidth features,
such as 4K@50/60 (2160p) video formats, will require existing High
Speed HDMI cables (Category 2 cables).

[:D]

Everyone with a Flagship &/or highend AVR/processor is now frowning big time .

Or a new Oppo [:(] Although the FAQ link I posted says firmware updates will be possible but at the MFG. discretion.

Should be interesting but I think we're all quite use to technology changes

Yeah I have been watching closely any info on the new HDMI cables the new accepted 4k video formats (which isnt really 4k anyway as 2160p is the video format not 4k) and I am going to wait a bit longer at least a year or so before considering switching to new projector/preamp etc. I am interested to see how all this will settle. On the positive side this will be exciting and I hope to see Dolby Atmos integrated into home theater. MMmmmmm Ceiling Speakers..

Really cool stuff. Can't wait to rerun all my hdmi cables though the walls and ceilings lol.

No kidding but if it makes you feel better,

Does HDMI 2.0 require new cables?

No, HDMI 2.0 features will work with existing HDMI cables. Higher bandwidth features, such as 4K@50/60 (2160p) video formats, will require existing High Speed HDMI cables (Category 2 cables).

Big Smile

I read that but not sure if that means what it reads. I hope so but i have this feeling that you will need a 2.0 cable to get the added stuff. :)

Nice Big Smile. I did it so i can get to everything with this in mind. Plus you never know when a cable might go bad.

But that will save some money on cables at least.

Yeah , New tech coming means discounts on current lines , just like when 3D hit the displays , just like when the new audio codecs a few years ago & then when HDMI 1st came on scene . The Tech marches on !

all processors / AVR's are all in for major changes real soon , to those who want to keep up will pay a premium @ 1st

anyone who wants a deal they are gonna get better deals now as long as accept the now older standards .

sure glad I when moved down to a mid level AVR as a processor a year & 1/2 ago over a flagship unit ,

those power amps I got sure are looking like a Great deal now in hindsight

Nice Big Smile. I did it so i can get to everything with this in mind. Plus you never know when a cable might go bad.

But that will save some money on cables at least.

Yeah , New tech coming means discounts on current lines , just like when 3D hit the displays , just like when the new audio codecs a few years ago & then when HDMI 1st came on scene . The Tech marches on !

all processors / AVR's are all in for major changes real soon , to those who want to keep up will pay a premium @ 1st

anyone who wants a deal they are gonna get better deals now as long as accept the now older standards .

sure glad I when moved down to a mid level AVR as a processor a year & 1/2 ago over a flagship unit ,

those power amps I got sure are looking like a Great deal now in hindsight

Thats what i mean. When the new things came out like 3d you needed a 1.3 or higher hdmi cable or it would not work. If you didn't have a 1.3 or higher you needed a new hdmi cable. So I'm a little skeptical that a normal hdmi cable will support all 2.0 content. Plus you got to think they are going to want the pay day on cables. Not saying they wont work i hope you guys are right :).

I myself hear where yer coming from & I also really DO NOT trust that statement that the Today's HDMI cables will support 2.0 .

dime to a donut they drop a 2.01 standard real soon , That will make a real difference in cables

then there's the ULTRAHD on the Horizon that is said to over shadow the current 4K standard

I'm not dropping any serious coin on any processor as the tech curve is starting a steep up slope it would seem ATM

amps & speakers is the best place to throw the serious wad of up-grade cash right now .

all I can say is DO NOT want 32 tiny Bose speakers spread out over my room [6]

According to HIMI.ORG HDMI 2.0 uses up to 18Gb data rates. CAT6A is rated for 10Gb. CAT6A was the early standard for 10Gb. CAT 7 is the same twisted pair with more shielding and different twist rate and thus less rf crosstalk. I believe it is capable of speeds well in excess of HDMI 2.0. I think something like 30Gb/s. This cable was designed to consider broadband video requirements of the future while 10GB/s were common. The next generation CAT8, will be capable of 2GHz speeds over 100m distances. Get this, the IEEE is working on a standard for 100Gb/s on copper. http://www.ieee802.org/3/bj/index.html. Do you think that is future proof? LOL

• Moderators

Do you think that is future proof? LOL

Not at all. I'm 38 and I remember in my early 20's, I almost purchased a brand new Gateway Computer that had a 4GB Hard Drive. At that time, I honestly thought there is no way I could EVER fill a 4GB hard drive in my entire lifetime......I was wrong. What I didn't take into consideration was the fact that as technology progresses, everything gets larger and requires upgrades to handle the additional requirements. Same is true with Audio/Video.

That's why I hardly ever stay "cutting edge" because the depreciation is far too great. Buying a few year old technology that is still current and effective is my preferred choice.