JBL L100?

philly0116

• 3 weeks later...

The L100 is a weird combo of very good drivers with a lousy crossover. If you can build a better crossover than the two caps that came with it, you might have a decent speaker. The L100 was cost-engineered to impress people who were too stoned to realize how bad it was. It is the epitome of the "boom-shriek" west coast sound that real audiophiles loathe. If the drivers are in good shape and you have the gear to measure and tune a real crossover, it might be a good deal. If any of the drivers are blown you are looking at a lot of money for stock units provided you can find them.

A lot of audiophiles like JBL speakers, and the L100 and its professional brother the 4310/4311 have been used in an untold number of studios. A slight 'mid' boost is the way they are usually set up, but they can be set to be rather flat. The crossover is the weak point, but JBL really used the natural roll-off of the compnents to make a checp crossover. Realistically, many crossovers were simple back in the day.

The L100 Century might be considered for JBL what the Heresy was for Klipsch - a cash cow.

I still have my 4311s, and am intending to get the crossovers redone or upgraded. There are some expensive upgrades available, but they will cost as much as the speakers did when new.

I always felt my 4311s were a 'not as efficient' version of my Heresy IIs.

Bruce

I was thinking of asking Dean to design some crossovers for the 4311s I have. I suppose I could ship one of the speakers to his for testing. :D Or make a trip up that way and drop one off (or the pair).

Bruce

i upgraded my jbl's 4311wxa crossovers and put new L-Pads back this past spring.... tonight I'll see can't i find the info on what all i did.... i do know they sound more flat and better now than they ever did.... i would think the L-100 would be the same or close to the 4311...

my experience with these speakers is i like them for playing rock music.... i play jazz mostly on my cornscalas or cornwalls, but sometimes i move my cornscalas back in back bedroom and get out my L80t's and 4311's and play rock for a few days in living room, being i'll still have a jazz setup with the cornwalls if i need jazz..... i keep a stereo on each end of my living room and always moving things around and trying things... at this time i'm trying to decied if i like a new tube amp i bought, a st-35 clone.... it sounds good to me but i have to play to louder to get my horns to sing on my cornscalas... my sony str-7065 will make them sings at lower volumes because it's a little brighter i guess ... and i don't have to worry about my neighbors also.... kinda like that wonderfull sound at lower volumes.....

• Like 1

Don't know anything about the L100, but my folks have a pair of L250's that are finished in Teak. They are superb sounding speakers to my ears, I absolutely love'em.

I was going to mention the L100T's. The L250's are the flagship of that line. Very nice. The tweeter is better and they have a nicer finish (oiled walnut).

My first real speakers were L60t's and I picked up a set of L100T's and rebuilt the crossovers and cleaned them up nicely. Nice speakers. I also had a pair of century's (L100s) that I restored. The L100T was a better speaker. I have an old pair of B&W DM3000's that I prefer to any of these. Really nice midrange.

Don't know anything about the L100, but my folks have a pair of L250's that are finished in Teak. They are superb sounding speakers to my ears, I absolutely love'em.

I was going to mention the L100T's. The L250's are the flagship of that line. Very nice. The tweeter is better and they have a nicer finish (oiled walnut).

My first real speakers were L60t's and I picked up a set of L100T's and rebuilt the crossovers and cleaned them up nicely. Nice speakers. I also had a pair of century's (L100s) that I restored. The L100T was a better speaker. I have an old pair of B&W DM3000's that I prefer to any of these. Really nice midrange.

post-8757-0-19200000-1382746635_thumb.jp

post-8757-0-29000000-1382746642_thumb.jp

Ah yes, the tweeter foam... Pretty annoying the way it just crumbles away. I was thinking of trying a large piece of 3M Scotch Brite kind of material (or a knock off). How did you fix the dust cap on the tweeter? My daughter managed to push on in when she was little (Got my 4311s new in the early '70s...).

Bruce

I like my l100's and l166's for the fact i can actually sell them for at least a few hundred dollars if not more. They are a good classic vintage studio monitor with a poor crossover and good drivers. I prefer to look at mine as good to sell or trade to get money or get somthing i want. Its amazing how much they sell for at even the rough times in the economy. With the same amount of money i have to state you can hit a homerun and buy some heresys. Im not saying this because im on the klipsch forum i'm only stating my experience with l100's compared to other speakers at the same pricepoint. l100's sell for over $1k on ebay from time to time. Original drivers are sometimes very hard to find. I have never used a better crossover with mine and wont do it due to the fact they are worth so much to sell on ebay in descent shape however they sit. I have to say the l100 is a monitor for every audiophile to test. When found for a good price you cannot lose money. I'm not so fond of the aftermarket drivers on them as so many l100's have although they often sell at descent pricepoints as well. Moving up the chain to the 4310 and 4311 i believe you have something then. And with a better crossover l100's as well you may have a keeper.

My suggestionis to only buy the jbl century l100 if they are $300 u.s. dollars or less. Like so many i have seen no way would i spend over $400 and up unless they were mint with original drivers and/or a receipt and pics of the updated crossovers

• Like 1

Ah yes, the tweeter foam... Pretty annoying the way it just crumbles away. I was thinking of trying a large piece of 3M Scotch Brite kind of material (or a knock off). How did you fix the dust cap on the tweeter? My daughter managed to push on in when she was little (Got my 4311s new in the early '70s...).

Bruce

The foams are cheap. I think about $8 each (several years ago).

For the center dust caps, I was at a speaker repair shop and the guy putting new surrounds on my woofers had some extra small dust caps. I just glued them on. Try partsexpress. They many have something.

My 4311s were designed to fit on a shelf or be soffit mounted, so rightside up puts the tweeters on the floor. I have scans the faceplate on the front (around the mid and tweeter level controls) and flipped them so that I could place the whole cabinet upside down, thereby having the woofer on the bottom and the mid and tweet on top. A little better fro putting them on the floor. Then they could just be tilted back a little like folks do with Heresy speakers.

That murphy crossover drops the efficiency another 5db or so it's reported. That would drop my 4311s down to 84db. Guess I would need to pull out a larger SS amp to drive them.

I listened to mostly classical and jazz with mine, so I don't quite get the 'rock' speaker sound. They could be adjusted for mostly flat response. I think Dennis posted he adjustments one time.

Bruce