Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Guest Steven1963

Guys, I have been using a Canon 7D with great results for the last 2 years with one exception. This is indoor sports with available lighting. Anything above ISO 800 and the noise is just unbearable for me. I'm very tempted to try the full frame version of my camera, the 5D Mark III. Looking around on the internet and people seem to love it. Just wondering if anybody here actually uses that body? I know Steven here used the 1D X. Can't swing that puppy!

I owned the 5d Mark III. Sold it to get my Klipschorns and then 6 months later got the 1dx. Here is what I can tell you:

* the 5d Mark III is the highest megapixel camera Canon makes, and is currently their most advanced system behind the 1dx.

* it is a full frame camera - you will simply LOVE the files it produces.

* it uses the same focus system as the 1dx - and IS AMAZING.

* files are usable to 12,800 iso - if you use NR software, and are pretty much indistinguishable from the 1dx.

* is not as 'weather sealed' as is the 1dx (more on this in a moment).

* It is not a beginner/point-and-shoot camera and depending on your commitment level, will provide you a lifetime of excellent photos as you continue to learn how to use it.

*lenses are MORE IMPORTANT than camera bodies - invest in high quality lenses (they hold their value) then worry about a body.

I recently took my 1dx out to the coast during a major storm and was out in the pouring rain with it for 4 hours straight.  It was not protected and did fine (imagine a camera sitting on the grass while the lawn sprinkler rained down on it for 4 hours). BUT, the next day it developed a problem and I must send it in to have fixed. I do not know if it is related to the rain issue, Canon will let me know.

Considering the differences between the 5d Mark III and the 1dx - since I have owned both, I would (and likely will) take the 5d Mark III over the 1dx 9 out of 10 times. When I get the 1dx back after repair, I will likely sell it and purchase another 5d Mark III. It is a wonderful camera and can do almost everything the 1dx can do and what the 1dx can do is not worth the price difference (for me, anyway...pros shooting sports would disagree).

Long story short YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED if you buy a 5d Mark III.

EDIT: the 5d mark III is not considered a sports camera and doesn't have the FPS of the 1dx or the 7d for that matter.  But if you look back at my hummingbird shot (and knowing how erratic hummingbirds can fly) you can see what the 5d mark III can do, since that shot was taken with it.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

Seven, thanks for the great info and summary. Many of your thoughts are what I would have suspected. I am aware of the less FPS. I don't think this difference will be much of an issue with me. I'm mostly after the full frame sensor. You're certainly right about the glass. I have a couple of Canon L lenses including the F2.8 70-200. They really do make a difference. 

Guest Steven1963

I am envious that you have the 70-200 2.8!  I am looking at the 70-200 2.8 is II.  I gave it a try as a loaner from CPS and the Image Stabilization blew me away.  I was taking 200mm shots hand held at 1/6 sec and they were sharp.  I couldn't believe it.

• Moderators
'Steven1963', on 27 Dec 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:'Steven1963', on 27 Dec 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:'Steven1963', on 27 Dec 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

I gave it a try as a loaner from CPS and the Image Stabilization blew me away. I was taking 200mm shots hand held at 1/6 sec and they were sharp. I couldn't believe it.

Image stabilization really works, I was blown away also. Different lens, mm and even brand but same reaction, The lens I got was rated well and I just didn't care about the stabilization but was shocked when I tried it and then turned it off for the same pic, it really works well. 

This is just a general pic while playing around, ISO 1000, 5.6f, 1/10 sec @300mm, just sitting in a chair hand held. Not perfect blown up but way better than expected considering it's 5.6 f at 300mm and a fraction of the cost of a much better faster lens.

post-9700-0-48060000-1419701951_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

The one I have is Nikon 70-300 VR with the same F stop range as that one, so many lenses so little money, some can get ridicules in price. 

The last lens I got was the cheapest Nikon makes, $125 new, 50mm 1.8 and very sharp, on the DX body it works as a 70mm.

Here are a few of the actual tank. They were all taken from different times, so you will see a difference in growth size and arrangement. I did a lot of trading and selling too, which keep the spending down.

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

-2914.jpg

angle2.jpg

Makes me miss my 220 reef set up. I used a sump tank in the bottom with live rock as well as live rock in my tank and a little substrate and was pushing 1250 gallons an hour through the system.That was it.My friends at the pet store used to joke I was pulling the slime off the fish I had. And I had my tank running for 4 years before I broke it down. In that time frame believe it or not, I did 3 water changes of roughly 20% each time. And I only added regular tap water into my system. I used to also cut my leathers and polyps when they got bigger and would sell them back to the pet stores. I definitely  iss having that tank up and running. I had the actinics running with the blue light and the 10,000k ballasts,they would heat up the room,and also had a red light for night time viewing. I also did the drip and had the protein skimmer running. My lower sump had small shrimp and sponges growing in it and that also helped with everything. That is a gorgeous tank. How high are you running the lights from the water?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The last lens I got was the cheapest Nikon makes, $125 new, 50mm 1.8 and very sharp, on the DX body it works as a 70mm.

This was also one of mine "last" lenses :) . I like it very much and use it with all my analog bodies. On motor F80 and F90x bodies it is reasonably quick to focus too. I also like my 50mm 1,8 E-lens, which is optically excellent lens, just 35 years old :rolleyes: . Of corse on 35mm bodies it is true 50 mm lens and as sharp as one can be.

• Moderators

I really like it, quick focus and sharp pics, just wish I would have picked the 3

5mm instead for only about $75 more. May just look for something a little wider later, but the prices can get crazy quickly.

Zooms tend to ruin you with convenience, until you see the difference with a prime lens. I only have 3 lenses 50mm, 18-135, and 70-300.

BigStewMan - he really is the sweetest big dog you'd ever meet. Just loves on everybody. Literally wrestles with my son in the yard. He favorite things are a big leaf pile and sub 10 degree weather! 

Pyro - Maybe I'm a perfectionist on this one, but I want it all! :D I took this one at the basketball game last night.

post-32707-0-68520000-1420980310_thumb.j

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1