Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Back in my younger days I had a decent camera, can't remember, Canon or Nikon, but it was decent.  We used an ancient form of recording media called "film." 

Remember that I am from West Virginia, I used to travel the countryside, and I liked taking black and white shoots of barns, horses, farm animals, etc.  I have no idea where those pics are now.  They seemed so important at the time.

• Moderators
On 12/2/2016 at 2:04 PM, CECAA850 said:

Gotta be a story behind that picture but I'm not sure I want to know what it is.

Whatever the story is I would not make fun of them, doubt they would take any :pwk_bs: from anyone. 

1 minute ago, dtel said:

JL, your lens camera combination +skills make some good looking pictures in tough lighting. :emotion-21:

Thanks, surprisingly (to me anyway) all my photography is in manual mode on the camera. I run the ISO up to 3K or so and keep aperture in the 3 to 4 range with 240 to 320 on the shutter. Seems to work out sometimes! 

• Moderators

It sure does work out, unless I'm in a rush or had a few I use manual also, it's how I learned a long time ago and still prefer it.

Once a photographer we were with asked how I had the camera set, I told him it's on A, for alcohol. :D   

• Like 1

If it's a football game at night and the lighting in not so good I go all the way up to 8000 or so on iso because I'm trying to capture football action and keep that shutter above 1/300ths. I have the shutter speed on the top roller and I will roll it left or right just one click or so to get more/less exposure on the fly because the outdoor lighting is so inconsistent. If I take three pictures that way, one is bound to be real close to accurate. Anway, these camera bodies are so much faster than those old film cameras there are just all kinds of possibilities.

We had Guinea Hens here for a while. Started off with 6. It wasn't long til they started disappearing one at a time. After the last one was gone,  I saw a big owl sitting in a tree at the edge of the yard. I guess he was waiting for the next round of good eats. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

We had Guinea Hens here for a while. Started off with 6. It wasn't long til they started disappearing one at a time. After the last one was gone,  I saw a big owl sitting in a tree at the edge of the yard. I guess he was waiting for the next round of good eats. 

I wish the Owls around here would do that. Our neighbor has about 6-8 Guinea Hens, which means everybody around here has them. There house is well over 500' away but the Guineas travel.

It only bothers me because they are like chickens, they love to scratch around the ground and they move the mulch in the gardens to the walkways which is pea gravel. The dogs even gave up on running them off, when I catch them I shoot bottle rockets at them but only it's a temporary fix, they are scarey but betting use to it. 

17 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

yeah, we had 6 at the end of summer. The neighbor's dogs killed three in about 2 weeks. The would perch on the chicken run fencing and coop, which was inside the range of a jumping dog - always early morning when they were still asleep and vulnerable.

• 2 weeks later...