Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

My little 50+ acres outside Reno, great camping /shooting, blowing things up (Tannerite).

That would be a great place to camp out and watch stars. Not that blowing things up wouldn't be fun but I have never been someplace more wide open to the sky and away from everything, like light pollution.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Daylily time of the year

Is that a massive Green JAP Maple in the center of that photo? If so, that thing has to be old!

Good eye, yes, Jap maples are our favorite plant. That plant was planted there about 10-12 years ago, it was about 4' when it was planted.

I don't have a pic of just that tree but this pic was when I tore up the old garden and started redoing it last year this pic is from last June, the tree grew a lot since then. I guess moving everything around it kind of stimulated it ? The pic on the right is this spring.

This garden now has 11 Japanese maples planted counting that big green upright, it's about 12' high and 20' wide.

post-9700-0-17220000-1401851888_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-37260000-1401852650_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

What a sanctuary your have dtel. I have a Green Jap I will get a photo of, but its not a full size tree like yours. I think your Green Jap is the best structured I have ever seen. I had a friend and his father had full size blood reds that large, but I have never seen greens that big. I think mine is a green lace leaf.

Great photos BTW !

• Moderators

Down dtel's way understory plants grow into full sized trees.

It seems like all the green "seedling" maples can take the heat and summer sun without burning. In that pic with the tall red maple on the left right by the funky colored bench has been there years longer than the big green tree. With Japanese maples the better the tree the more sensitive they are, which sucks.

All the other Japanese maples we have are named grafted varieties and look great but are slow growers and not really hardy, it makes me sick when one dies for no apparent reason. That big green tree was a cheap seedling about $20 when we bought it, the little red tree in front of It is grafted and is worth $350-$400 and is not nearly as strong, that tree is probably 20 years old. All except the big green tree were cut back a little this winter which is needed to help them.

Edited by dtel

We have gone through two coral barks. My wife loves them but after two I'm thinking a hardier maple for the climate is warranted. I would prefer a lower growing variety, like 8 to 10 ft max. It's getting too late to plant now so maybe by fall I can decide and get it in.

• Moderators

What a sanctuary your have dtel. I have a Green Jap I will get a photo of, but its not a full size tree like yours. I think your Green Jap is the best structured I have ever seen. I had a friend and his father had full size blood reds that large, but I have never seen greens that big. I think mine is a green lace leaf.

Great photos BTW !

Thank you, but to tell the truth that tree was only trimmed once a few months ago because it one wild branch grew down, so I cut it off.

That tall skinny tree on the left (in the left pic) is a Bloodgood and it's been there undisturbed for 15 years and just won't take off ?

You know what's crazy, 11 Japanese maples in that garden and I made the building in the middle a tiki bar. :o It should have been a Japanese style garden and building and it would have looked better with the pond and all..........but not as much fun, so tiki it is. :D

And I always wanted a Japanese garden, and we only did one Japanese garden in all the years we did landscaping.

Some others, different stages of redoing everything and cutting back.

post-9700-0-16940000-1401854649_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-12900000-1401854684_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-86300000-1401854703_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

We have gone through two coral barks. My wife loves them but after two I'm thinking a hardier maple for the climate is warranted. I would prefer a lower growing variety, like 8 to 10 ft max. It's getting too late to plant now so maybe by fall I can decide and get it in.

I have come close to buying a coral bark, I looked at them many times in nurseries and just never got one.

What you said about the climate that is very true, we tried to pick out varieties that have a better chance of making it here and it's still tough. All of the better maples we have are in the garden where they are because the need the shade or they will burn up, only a couple can take the sun in the heat of the summer.

About a year ago I removed hundreds of azaleas and over a hundred Crepe Myrtles from two sides of this property to plant clumping bamboo for a noise screen and privacy from the road, we live on a corner. I used some of the taller purple Crepe Myrtles in this garden to give shade for the maples, you can see some of them in the pics.

A variety that can take more sun is Crimson Queen, it starts out in the summer bright red and turns dark red over the summer, it a weeping dissectum, it's the one on the far left pic above.

Edited by dtel

Great photos BTW !

Thank you, but to tell the truth that tree was only trimmed once a few months ago because it one wild branch grew down, so I cut it off.

That tall skinny tree on the left (in the left pic) is a Bloodgood and it's been there undisturbed for 15 years and just won't take off ?

You know what's crazy, 11 Japanese maples in that garden and I made the building in the middle a tiki bar. :o It should have been a Japanese style garden and building and it would have looked better with the pond and all..........but not as much fun, so tiki it is. :D

And I always wanted a Japanese garden, and we only did one Japanese garden in all the years we did landscaping.

Some others, different stages of redoing everything and cutting back.

Maple's compliment any kind of Bar ! Very nice dtel.