Lets talk plywood and mdf

The Dude

If it has voids in it forgetaboutit.

Maybe you have a local lumberyard around that carries Auraco plywood ?

Birch would be the way to go if you can find the good stuff.

I need to drive 40 minutes then pay out the @$$ for my baltic birch but at least i can get it locally.

Menards, Home depot & Lowes dosent carry anything worthwhile around here.

Are there different grades of Baltic Birch? I find the 5' x 5' sheets to be the highest quality, but it is only 1/2". I use it to make drawers.

I agree with the Home Depot and Lowes, you need to find a real lumber yard. I do remember the Home Depot having sheets of Maple ply on sale for $40 many years ago, but that is all that I have ever bought there for a project.

• Moderators

It all depends on the wood, not what store it comes from, the big box stores do not all carry the same thing I quickly found out. The Oak I found was as nice as what they sell from a specialty wood place, I checked, you need to compare, 2 different store locations they had different wood, same store name. Lowes was the worst overall

Also when looking for sheets without dings from handling I was told by a store employee we don't like when people look through a stack and pick out sheets. I asked, well the sheets with a bad corner must be cheaper because i will not pay 50 a sheet for bad edges, go ask your manager what he thinks, I think he got the idea as he walked away and no one came back.

I compared it to a specialty store and could find no difference, when you find good quality you better buy it, it may be different next time you go. I compared what I used to this place (link), now I could get many more different flavors at the specialty place which was the biggest difference. After cutting 12 sheets I found a couple tiny voids and to be honest I think it was from my saw they were so small,

I checked here also, this is there list of plywood, I had been there before we got some tongue and grove cedar and a mantel from them to do a couple of walls years ago, amazing variety of woods for a price ..................http://www.riversidelumber.com/frameset.htm

This is what ply they have, prices were 50 and up at the time for 3/4"

American Birch
Ash
Baltic Birch
Cedar
Cherry
Cypress
Fir
Mahogany
Maple
Marine
Meranti
Red Oak
White Oak
Teak
Teak & Holly
Walnut

Edited by dtel

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the acx stuff from menards is auraco. 2 sheets down 8 more to go.

Did you say what you are building and I missed it?

No and yes. Wait yes and no. Ok I will be working on a couple of speakers. 1. Pair of thspud clones 2. A pair of Jamborees.

In my experience building a few cabinets for subs and speakers, Baltic Birch is the way to go. Easy to work with and a lot less messy than MDF. MDF is horrible in terms of dust and mess....really bad for your lungs.

Baltic Birch is just excellent in terms of lack of voids and strength. I have not tired Apple Ply, but hear it is also excellent.

I rarely use MDF these days....mostly to spare my lungs from the mess. MDF is more dense, heavier and more homogeneous than the BB I have found. But, I prefer working with BB than MDF.

BB holds screws way better than MDF.

Personally, I prefer BB or some good grade plywood.

• Like 1

Are there different grades of Baltic Birch? I find the 5' x 5' sheets to be the highest quality, but it is only 1/2". I use it to make drawers.

I agree with the Home Depot and Lowes, you need to find a real lumber yard. I do remember the Home Depot having sheets of Maple ply on sale for $40 many years ago, but that is all that I have ever bought there for a project.

Yes, the chinese Baltic Birch with the thin veneer layer available at Home Depot, Lowes & Menards is garbage for speaker cabinet construction.

My Menards used to stock Auraco Plywood now it is no longer in stock but luckily i found a kinda local lumberyard where they stock some decent void free stuff & BB.

In my experience building a few cabinets for subs and speakers, Baltic Birch is the way to go. Easy to work with and a lot less messy than MDF. MDF is horrible in terms of dust and mess....really bad for your lungs.

Baltic Birch is just excellent in terms of lack of voids and strength. I have not tired Apple Ply, but hear it is also excellent.

I rarely use MDF these days....mostly to spare my lungs from the mess. MDF is more dense, heavier and more homogeneous than the BB I have found. But, I prefer working with BB than MDF.

BB holds screws way better than MDF.

Personally, I prefer BB or some good grade plywood.

I agree with you here, the only time i use pressed & glued sawdust sheet is when i have to.

With so many good plywood products available why use a inferior product.

The last speaker I built I used MDF. Honest to God dustiest stuff I have ever seen. Afer reading this thread, I am going back to Baltic Birch. Russian Birch is the same stuff. There are different grades, BTW. Also different sizes. You can buy the traditional 4'x8' sheets, or the European 5'x5' ones. As for grades, they are all void free as far as I have found, but you can buy one good side. The other side is good too, you will be seeing a football or two per sheet is all. No matter what, BB is expensive. Definitely worth it IMO.

In my experience, the Chinese BB is not very good. You get what you pay for. The Russian BB is best and least expensive in 5x5 sheets. There are 4x8 sheets, but they are very expensive.

Look for a local Plywood company that supplies to cabinet makers and other large scale operations. I have not had luck with Home Depot or Lowes in terms of finding BB.

The BB is generally measured in millimeter thickness. The 18mm is roughly equivalent to 3/4" and 12mm similar to 1/2".

Edited by Rudy81

I might add guys, PLEASE use a good respirator when woodworking if you don't have a good dust collection system. I spent all last spring learning about, and setting up a 6" dust collection system in my shop. I spent many years sucking up dust during my projects and had no idea the potential dangers of fine dust to my lungs.

Take some time to review the information on this site: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

The information will convince you that a general dust mask will not do. Also, if you are working in a structure attached to your home, you are spreading the fine dust into your home.

MDF is particularly nasty. As a minimum, use a respirator with real filters. Be careful out there.

I might add guys, PLEASE use a good respirator when woodworking if you don't have a good dust collection system. I spent all last spring learning about, and setting up a 6" dust collection system in my shop. I spent many years sucking up dust during my projects and had no idea the potential dangers of fine dust to my lungs.

Take some time to review the information on this site: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

The information will convince you that a general dust mask will not do. Also, if you are working in a structure attached to your home, you are spreading the fine dust into your home.

MDF is particularly nasty. As a minimum, use a respirator with real filters. Be careful out there.

Wonder if we can get this moved to the first post position, as it is a good to know. Good points Rudy.

Look for a local Plywood company that supplies to cabinet makers and other large scale operations.

I have called, most of them only stock 1/2". I can special order it, if I get good at this I will start spending the more money on BB. Right now I don't want to hack up a expensive piece of plywood, and be upset about it.