Original Box Premium

willland

I am curious what value($) besides just shipping peace of mind does the original box have on the sale of gear. Say you see an item for sale that has all accessories included but without the original mfr's box. How much less(%) would you pay than the same item with the box?

I am asking because I may be selling a model of gear that I have sold before in great condition with box and accessories but this time no original box. With or without original box, the item WILL survive unscathed the trip to wherever.

Bill

When I see that a person has taken the time (and space) to save an original box, it tells me that he's careful with his gear. My thinking is that if he cares enough about the box, he certainly cares about and for the contents more. Of course, that may or may not be true, but that's my take. I don't know whether the box commands a premium though.

• Like 1

If you are good at packing, and it sounds like you are, it should be a non issue. The only problem is, the buyer is the one that has to have confidence in your ability.

As for me, not having the original box is not a deal breaker. But the sale price should be adjusted (minimally) for this.

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal
  • Like 1

When I see that a person has taken the time (and space) to save an original box, it tells me that he's careful with his gear. My thinking is that if he cares enough about the box, he certainly cares about and for the contents more. Of course, that may or may not be true, but that's my take.

That is my train of thought also.

I don't know whether the box commands a premium though.

I don't think it really commands a premium unless it could be categorized as "antique" or just a rare or limited edition piece.

Bill

If you are good at packing, and it sounds like you are, it should be a non issue. The only problem is, the buyer is the one that has to have confidence in your ability.

As for me, not having the original box is not a deal breaker. But the sale price should be adjusted (minimally) for this.

Shakey

Also my train of thought and not a deal breaker if you have faith in the seller.

Bill

When I see that a person has taken the time (and space) to save an original box, it tells me that he's careful with his gear. My thinking is that if he cares enough about the box, he certainly cares about and for the contents more.
I also agree with this, and it may give the buyer more confidence in the equipment and the sale. Plus, it can't be beat IMO for shipping for sale or repair.
  • Like 1

When I see that a person has taken the time (and space) to save an original box, it tells me that he's careful with his gear. My thinking is that if he cares enough about the box, he certainly cares about and for the contents more.
I also agree with this, and it may give the buyer more confidence in the equipment and the sale. Plus, it can't be beat IMO for shipping for sale or repair.

I also agree with this, and whether or not others want to believe the box commands a premium, I routinely watch eBay for Nakamichi PA-7, PA-7II, and PA7AII amplifiers. Not only are the ones with the original box routinely in better shape, but I also see them bring 15 to 20% more than a similar amp without the box, or in other terms, a $1000 amp will bring $1150 or $1200 with the original box!

Roger

I think it adds value for old items like old speakers. Otherwise I agree that it is not a deal breaker. In fact, without it, I feel like I am paying for what I am buying rather than an inflated cost for a box.

At the same time, I can tell you that packing material can be quite expensive. Personally, if you think you might someday sell something, it is worthwhile keeping the box. I buy packing material from U-Line, which has decent prices. The problem is it is shipped via freight which is quite expensive. I also buy a lot from Uhaul which is local. The boxes are priced right, but the stuffings and tape, etc are expensive.