Is this place for real?

Fishbait7

As a new forum member, I need some help. I am shopping for a McIntosh tube amp and wondered if any of you have had dealings with this proposed firm in Seattle. The website is: www.hifisellnbuy.com. It is listed as Hi Fi Sell and Buy, 12399 8th Ave. N.E., Seattle, WA. Their prices look ridiculously low and I am quite suspicious as to their authenticity. They are offering such things as the MC-225 for $855, MC-240 for $1,199 and two MC-30's for $700. What's going on?

Looks like they have a "C" rating with the BBB. Proceed with caution and only use a credit card.

I know nothing about this company, but their "C" rating is based on 1 complaint to the BBB in 3 years, pertaining to a delivery issue for an item shipped to France.

Me either but it's also based on the fact that the sampling is so small.

I have recently purchased a 1986 pair of Khorns and a Pro-Jet Debut Carbon TT. I have a McIntosh MA-6100, of which I would like to use the preamp and mate it with a Mac tube amp. I'm particularly interested in playing vinyls.

It's VINYL, not vinyls. Sorry, had to say it.

Buy local, if possible.

jerol

Site used to be linked to a hole-in-the-wall mobile stereo retail address in Phoenix, AZ - or maybe that was hifibuynsell. Regardless of the name, the inventory was identical to the site you saw and never changed the entire time I watched it. Once saw a listing from them on audiogon that was snatched up in a hurry but do not know the outcome - the buyer did not leave any feedback.

Jan. 18 EDIT - My memory was incorrect (not unusual, unfortunately) - previous address was in Tucson.

see also > http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=511098

Edited by perpetualapprentice

You don't need anything that bad...

Genuine bargains on anything come to those who remain vigilant.

You've come to the right place for cautious people with experience. Good idea to listen.

Welcome to the madness. Your K'horns will sound better on anything you drive them with than most any other speaker at any price. Just use a decent amp of whatever until you can find the one of your dreams. I drove mine routinely with a 125.00 Panasonic Class T amp for quite a while with complete satisfaction.

Dave

Thanks, everyone, for your info and advice. My son is traveling out to Seattle in a couple of weeks on business and said he will check this place out, if there is any place to check out. After his visit, I will inform the forum accordingly. If it turns out that no such place exist, I'm not sure what I should do from there, if anything.