Unexpected snowstorm here and sub 20 Deg. weather, you get this

JL Sargent

You can use spikes on road vehicles, as seen in this video, but for road use, studded tires are a better and more legal bet.

These guys went to the trouble of clearing a full-scale layout of Circuit Paul Ricard on a snow-covered lake, and then let the best vehicle (and operator) win.

Yamaha R1 versus Porsche GTS3 on Snow/Ice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMcArb9Lhu0

Norcal is finely getting a few raindrops, we just got Hydroplane races back last year at folsom lake, just heard they are cancelled for 2014.

Our stupid Dam operators around here drained all four Dams we have. likely to save some stupid fish that will die now anyway. Calif is great eh ?

Edited by minermark

• Moderators

I'm with you on that Dtel. We have a fire going in the fireplace and I'm in the recliner and a home theatre in front of me. Guess I'm doing pretty darn good!

Much better than still being out stuck on the road.

• Moderators

its been -30deg here for the last week, I call that polar BS.

How can I say this without offending..............are you crazy, no way I would live where it gets that cold, I couldn't live in the northern US much less Canada. Sorry I'm not good an not offending, EH

I am use to being able to swim 7-8 months a year outside and not that polar bear swimming. I only own 1 pair of long paints not counting dress pants, shorts and if absolutely necessary a shirt . :lol: IT's going to be 17 here tonight, hope I live through it ?

Edited by dtel

It's NOT the snow, it's the Sleet & Freezing Rain.

And , when Jim Cantore comes to you're town you should probably evacuate right ?

But when the big storm event doesn't happen some idiot is going to get a knee to the nuts , courtesy of Jim Cantore .

Don't be an idiot and get a knee to the nuts from Jim Cantore .

All we got was some ice and a light dusting of snow .

And an appearance from Jim Cantore :)

• Like 1

It's NOT the snow, it's the Sleet & Freezing Rain.

And , when Jim Cantore comes to you're town you should probably evacuate right ?

But when the big storm event doesn't happen some idiot is going to get a knee to the nuts , courtesy of Jim Cantore .

Don't be an idiot and get a knee to the nuts from Jim Cantore .

All we got was some ice and a light dusting of snow .

And an appearance from Jim Cantore :)

LOL Thanks! That was funny.....great reflexes!

darn Polar Vortex again
That term is right up there with "lake effect snow." Isn't snow just snow?"

There are lots of kinds of snow, depending on the humidity and the temperature. Lake effect snow is a bit different from the usual. The flakes are big, light, and fluffy, so if you don't have to shovel it or drive through it, it's kind of pretty. It could be ideal for skiing through. It would make for great powder skiing, but it generally occurs only near large bodies of water, not on mountains.

Ask a skier about snow types and you may hear about corn snow, rotten snow, etc.

Shovelling wet snow is hard work and no fun at all.

That Jim Cantore clip was playing here on CBC TV and the on-air folks had a good laugh. The newsman commented that he looked like a guy you wouldn't want to mess with.

Edited by Islander