Justification on upgrading receiver. . .

JesseN13

Hey guys,

I'm new here and new to the home theater world. About two years ago I bought 2x VF-36 (floor standing speakers), 2x KB-15 (bookshelf), 2x KS-14 (bookshelf),1x VC-25 (center speaker), and the SW-450 subwoofer. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V673: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V673-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B007JF85WE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391001280&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+rx . I have a rather large room (30x20 with 12ft ceilings) This setup sounds great, but I find the subwoofer lacking when I want to listen to music at higher levels. Woofer sounds great for movies though. I also feel the receiver doesn't push as much power when I'm looking to crank the tunes. I've been thinking about adding this subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-SW-310-Powered-Subwoofer-Each/dp/B0045CJ7QW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1391001530&sr=8-10&keywords=klipsch+subwoofer . I've also been thinking about upgrading my receiver to the new Marantz: http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7008-9-2-Channel-Networking-Receiver/dp/B00CS4X8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391001608&sr=8-1&keywords=marantz+sr7008 .

I've been trying to read as much as possible, but still not sure if I should upgrade my receiver? I can afford the receiver, so that isn't an issue . . . I just don't want to buy something that won't improve my system. I only use this system for movies/sports games/music - no video games. Just wondering if any of you were familiar with any of these products and if they will be worth it?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome Jesse, to the Klipsch Forums.

SW upgrade first. If I wanted a Klipsch SW it would be SW-115.

Only upgrade to new AVR for extra features you want, as extra power will probably not make much differ.

If you go over to AVS Forums & Call member jdsmoothie, with AVS Sales, you can get a discount on Klipsch & Marantz if you are in the lower States, & good advice.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have checked the AAFES online store, which from time to time actaully has great deals on quality items, but they do not carry Klipsch or any reputable receiver. From what I've read thus far on the SW-115, seems it will fulfill my deep bass needs while listening to music.

• Like 1

I am stationed in Germany with the military, but am currently in a wonderful place called Afghanistan. Just working the budget and wish list for when I come home. I will be heading back to the States next fall however.

Welcome to the Forum and I too thank you for your service. My dad worked at the American Embassy in Bonn and we lived in Bad Godesburg, along the Rhine River for 4 years--That said, the best bang-for-your buck is going to be in the used market for upper end Klipsch speakers and I agree upgrading your speakers would be the most sound investment. Good luck and be safe.

Edited by tkdamerica

Welcome to the forum and stay safe over there. For that large of a space you will eventually want 2 subwoofer. The SW 115 is an excellent choice. I had the VF 36 and still have the VF 35's. Those are some nice speakers and sound great. I think the V series were the best of the regular Icon's due to the horn (exclude the I con W's).

Does the sub have to be Klipsch? Are you planning on buying to use it overseas? There are better subs for the money than the Klipsch if you can wait until you get back to the States.

Mahalo for your service and stay safe.

• Like 1

Wow, I completely missed the Denon X4000 - I see it's on sale from $1,199. Regarding the subs, they don't have to be Klipsch. I would like to purchase this sub while I'm still over in Germany which isn't an issue because I can ship anything to my APO via apobox.com. Any other sub recommendations?