Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I have a brother who lives in NW part of town on a cliff side.  Nice view of the ferries down below.  As a kid in Fircrest I had a view of mt. Rainer out of my bedroom.  My brother is retired there and bought long ago but says he would nt choose it today because he would be priced out.  The lesson seems to be if you like where you are or where yu are going and can afford it then do it--'-you may not be,able to in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The lesson seems to be if you like where you are or where yu are going and can afford it then do it--'-you may not be,able to in the future.

Yeah, and that houses are a place to live, not an investment.  Glad they have such a cool place.  The median home price in Fircrest is $358,000.  The national median is $188,900.  Bet you did not realize that you grew up in such a high end neighborhood.

• Like 1

I spent a week on the beach up on the Makah Res [I think]. Was a thousand years ago.  Didn't rain, but we were still soggy. The fog ...

you guys talking Mishawaka ... I have lots of family up there .  2 Sisters in Elkhart, aunt/uncle, and a cousin - not their kid in SB/Mishawka.  Might be up that way mid Sept.

food question

do the still make spinach lasagna "noodles"?  I haven't seen them for a long time, in the stores here. I prefer them to the regular one. They seem to hold up to repeated reheats better. No matter how small I think I am making sauce, I always end up with 5qts an a 9 X 9 and 9 X 13 pan full . 

How many of you cook the pasta before you assemble your lasagna? ... I never did ... Just make the sauce/filling a bit juicy. No need for the "special" ready to use, dry.  I don't know what they did to make it special. Maybe thinner IDK. Seemed silly to me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

That is not even the good one.  We got lucky and bought before the first bubble.  The real estate values here are totally nuts now.  Seattle's median home price is $757,000.  I feel for real people trying to find a place to live.  And our rents are nuts too.  I have a client with a 76 unit apartment building downtown.  The rent is $2,150 for a studio and $3,400 for a two bedroom.  And they are full.  Just insane, but another crash is coming, and it will be bigger than the last.

I have a niece that switched careers 2 years ago, she became a realtor. She can't find enough homes to sell, a shortage of stock. Most homes sell in just a few days, some the same day. She says it's crazy when people start a bidding war, sometimes 20% more than it was listed at.

I have a brother that builds hi-end homes. He's extremely busy, and had doubled the amount of his in house employees. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillyBob said:

food question

do the still make spinach lasagna "noodles"?  I haven't seen them for a long time, in the stores here. I prefer them to the regular one. They seem to hold up to repeated reheats better. No matter how small I think I am making sauce, I always end up with 5qts an a 9 X 9 and 9 X 13 pan full . 

Yes, but then the entire nation of Italy does as well.  You also can get from beets.  The green ones are usually fresh, but not always.

2 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

How many of you cook the pasta before you assemble your lasagna? ... I never did ... Just make the sauce/filling a bit juicy. No need for the "special" ready to use, dry.  I don't know what they did to make it special. Maybe thinner IDK. Seemed silly to me.

In the best movie ever made, My Cousin Vinny, there is a priceless line where Vinny (the attorney) asks a southern witness if he was cooking instant grits at the time in question, to which the southerner responded haughtily, "No self-respecting southerner cooks instant grits."  

I similarly can say that no self-respecting Seattlite would make lasagne with raw pasta. For that matter, calling Lasagne noodles will get you kicked out of most bars here too.  A lasagna is a single wide piece of pasta, and more than one lasagna are called lasagne. But please don't call them noodles.  

Seriously  you can get them at most grocery stores.  I make my own when I have the time. And even when I make my own, they got into the boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute.  I don't know why those are the rules, but they are. I'll ask Marcella Hazan next time I see her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

I have a nice that switched careers 2 years ago, she became a realtor. She can't find enough homes to sell, a shortage of stock. Most homes sell in just a few days, some the same day.

That sounds great for business, but it is horrible.  Realtors rely on volume, not price, and right now inventories are low so deals are rare.  She need to be out chasing listings.  They are gold because they sell immediately without effort.  I represent a lot of real estate firms and deal with brokers all the time.  I always encourage them to focus on the listings.  Listings will produce buyers, brokers need their names on signs all around town.

• Like 1

Hi jimjimbo

It rarely hits 100 here. I am at 3700ft.

the "dry heat" isn't a myth. it is high at 30%.  You are right, when it hits 110`, it is hot.   June is not a good month to come here. 100`+ all month. August is probably the nicest time of year to come. Summer rainy season. Little t-storms to cool things and provide some entertainment. These are not the black "wall of death" frontal storms you get.  These are cumulus clouds with a big idea. Rain themselves out in a few minutes. Lots of thunder and lightning.

• Like 1

@WillyBob I grew up outside Boise Idaho which technically is a desert, and we rarely had more than 10% humidity.  In the summers it got really hot but the shade was instant relief and even a fan made a difference.  We had a Christmas tree farm, and we worked when it was 100 degrees. The I went to college at the University of  Kansas and it felt like they rewrote the laws of physics.  When it was hot in the summer, the shade was no relief.  It felt like some sticky hot substance was clinging to me.  In Idaho, the temperatures fell into the 50s at night even on the hottest days, but we still had 90 degrees in the middle of the night.  Just miserable. and the Winters  were the same way. It felt colder than it was, like ice was forming on me.  No wonder those people believe in hell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Yes, but then the entire nation of Italy does as well.  You also can get from beets.  The green ones are usually fresh, but not always.

In the best movie ever made, My Cousin Vinny, there is a priceless line where Vinny (the attorney) asks a southern witness if he was cooking instant grits at the time in question, to which the southerner responded haughtily, "No self-respecting southerner cooks instant grits."  

I similarly can say that no self-respecting Seattlite would make lasagne with raw pasta. For that matter, calling Lasagne noodles will get you kicked out of most bars here too.  A lasagna is a single wide piece of pasta, and more than one lasagna are called lasagne. But please don't call them noodles.  

Seriously  you can get them at most grocery stores.  I make my own when I have the time. And even when I make my own, they got into the boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute.  I don't know why those are the rules, but they are. I'll ask Marcella Hazan next time I see her.

I knew noodle wasn't the correct term. Thank you.

Try using dry lasagne and see if you can tell the diff. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@WillyBob I grew up outside Boise Idaho which technically is a desert, and we rarely had more than 10% humidity.  In the summers it got really hot but the shade was instant relief and even a fan made a difference.  We had a Christmas tree farm, and we worked when it was 100 degrees. The I went to college at the University of  Kansas and it felt like they rewrote the laws of physics.  When it was hot in the summer, the shade was no relief.  It felt like some sticky hot substance was clinging to me.  In Idaho, the temperatures fell into the 50s at night even on the hottest days, but we still had 90 degrees in the middle of the night.  Just miserable. and the Winters  were the same way. It felt colder than it was, like ice was forming on me.  No wonder those people believe in hell.

29 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I knew noodle wasn't the correct term. Thank you.

here you go....fresh or non boil imported Italian lasagna

IMG_20180209_185930_hdr.jpg

Just now, WillyBob said:

Ok, you try driving blindfolded and see if you can tell the diff.  

This is one of those no-win propositions.  If I try it, and it is horrible, then I have a pan full of horrible pasta.  But my wife would make me eat is anyway because I made it and we do not waste food.  If I try it and it is god, then I have to admit that my entire lasagne belief system is based on lies. The ones who  still believe will disown me for not cooking first, and the one who don't cook will never really accept me.  In the end, I will have to either quit eating lasagne altogether or secretly make it in tiny batches and quietly goblle it down in my office late at night with the door locked.  

So nice try. In the meantime, Marcella Hazan is the Godmother of Italian cooking, and I used her recipe when I make lasagne.  And she clearly  says to not only to boil but that "it is necessary."  I am not messing with the Godmother when her son lives down the street in Portland.

haz1.jpg

Haz2.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Ok, you try driving blindfolded and see if you can tell the diff.  

This is one of those no-win propositions.  If I try it, and it is horrible, then I have a pan full of horrible pasta.  But my wife would make me eat is anyway because I made it and we do not waste food.  If I try it and it is god, then I have to admit that my entire lasagne belief system is based on lies. The ones who  still believe will disown me for not cooking first, and the one who don't cook will never really accept me.  In the end, I will have to either quit eating lasagne altogether or secretly make it in tiny batches and quietly goblle it down in my office late at night with the door locked.  

So nice try. In the meantime, Marcella Hazan is the Godmother of Italian cooking, and I used her recipe when I make lasagne.  And she clearly  says to not only to boil but that "it is necessary."  I am not messing with the Godmother when her son lives down the street in Portland.

haz1.jpg

Haz2.jpg

I understand your duress....

it's hard to find pre made lasagna...

reggia brand ...is a great no boil...

it's ultra thin...

your other choice .....is to make it yourself...

imperia r220 as seen in the background...

the only difference in the lasagna..

American / Italian...is the use of

ricottone or ricotta..

authentic Italian made with bechamel sauce...

• Like 1