Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Ok....what's a coonass?

:o

14 hours ago, vasubandu said:

And for the record, I would never teach a coonass how to boil a crawfish.  I get the prepared crawfish that don't need to be boiled.  Too much hassle to boil them and they taste the same.

You couldn't teach a real coonass to boil crawfish.

A coonass would never say "prepared" crawfish. A coonass would never have someone else boil them unless they were out somewhere and only got a few pounds as a snack. When you boil, a minimum would be 35-40 pounds, that's how many are in a sack, most people boil at least 2 sacks up to however many needed. The most we have boiled for one get together was about 350 pounds, we NEVER use the pre-mixed seasoning BS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Since Mardi Gras is Tuesday and it looks like rain until then, and we had friends in from Arkansas we went to the french quarter last night.

It was fun, and a little crowded but not as bad as it would be Mardi Gras day, everyone had a good time walking around catching beads from people on the balcony's. We walked bourbon street so long we missed the parade on canal street....which was fine with me.

Bourbon street, it's starting to get wild working up to Tuesday

french_quarter-49.JPG

french_quarter-48.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

We wanted to sit down for a while so we went to a courtyard area called Musical Legends Park. It's just a courtyard right on Bourbon open so you can watch all the crazies walk buy. We got a couple drinks there, found out in the back of the courtyard was sponsored by Southern Comfort and was free drinks. I normally don't drink that kind but some man asked me if I tried it, I said no and was told you need to try it, it is something new they came out with. So after a little arm twisting we tried it, the guy mixing drinks was really good and the drink was good. Who knew, but if it's not your first few that might have helped ? we sat there a couple hours people watching and listening to music. They had a DJ that had a really good mix of music, and it was all vinyl 45's, but JBL speakers which kind of sucked, the drinks helped. :lol: We all had a good time but moving slow today, got home early this morning.

From where we sat looking at Bourbon street. The other pic is the front of the bronze statues. And the DJ guy, he really did have a good mix, he used hard road cases full of 45's.

french_quarter-38.JPG

french_quarter-22.JPG

french_quarter-12.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dtel said:

You couldn't teach a real coonass to boil crawfish.

A coonass would never say "prepared" crawfish. A coonass would never have someone else boil them unless they were out somewhere and only got a few pounds as a snack. When you boil, a minimum would be 35-40 pounds, that's how many are in a sack, most people boil at least 2 sacks up to however many needed. The most we have boiled for one get together was about 350 pounds, we NEVER use the pre-mixed seasoning BS.

Well, the next time you cook up 350 pounds of crawfish, let me know, and I make a road trip.  It would take a while, but you could not possible eat 350 pounds before I got there. I have never had a crawfish, but I bet yours are to die for, and I would love to  try them. I don't use any prepared mixes for salmon either.  Local food made by local people always the best.

• Like 3

The first time I ate crawldad's was in New Orleans

and I was drunk.

I was with a girl from Honduras and we stopped at a

place called My Father's Mostasch and ordered some.

When they brought the bright red creatures to the table

I didn't know how to eat them and being soused up

really didn't help the situation.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon :emotion-44:

LaScala are keepers Steve.

Will never forget Mardi Gras 71 and 72.

The stories I could tell but may have already.

Mobile, Al. had and may still have their celebration.(A trip)

Hoping the 6 weeks of winter still applies here.

Nice looking peppers.

I' would drink it Dave.

Purple azaleas are starting to bloom.

Hope all are well.:emotion-21:

• Like 4

• Moderators
20 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Well, the next time you cook up 350 pounds of crawfish, let me know, and I make a road trip. 

It's been years since we cooked that many, it was for a party. Also cooked a whole pig, it was fun but plenty work even with everyone willing to help. Back then we lived in a subdivision, so besides people we worked with and friends we invited everyone in the neighborhood, we figured this was better between the noise and parking there was less chance of the the police being called. It was fun, maby again one day ?

20 hours ago, rebuy said:

I didn't know how to eat them and being soused up

really didn't help the situation.  :lol:

I could imagine, just remember wash your hands a couple times and never rub or touch your eyes after. That's funny

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Bourbon street looks a lot better now than when we were there a few months ago.

I remembered your picture and was wondering how it would be. They either finished which I doubt or just stopped until after mardi gras ?

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Pepper plants still cranking out the produce.  These were picked 10 minutes ago.

I like hot stuff but I can NOT handle those peppers, no way.

• Like 2

Coffee for me. Doughnuts for all the teener females from the sleep over.
New optical cables from Monoprice.

House is empty. Girls are at a golf lesson. Boy is at the museum with his girlfriend. Getting settled in for the NASCAR race.

Planning 1 3/4" rib eyes with teriyaki / Montreal steak seasoning but it's 37 outside and I have issues grilling in the cold. 22" Weber with Kingsford charcoal. Hints?

Ribeyes.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I use a Weber and a chimney style coal starter. LF has a large green Egg.  Use more charcoal than usual and a leaf blower to get the coals red hot.  Careful with cinders that blow away. 

My weber is propane started; I have used the leaf blower method before as well.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, USNRET said:

22" Weber with Kingsford charcoal. Hints?

Yea, first of all, Kingsford is death in a paper bag....Charcoal in itself is not particularly good for you, but Kingsford contains some nasty fillers.  Pure lump charcoal only for me.

• Like 2

Just now, jimjimbo said:

Yea, first of all, Kingsford is death in a paper bag....Charcoal in itself is not particularly good for you, but Kingsford contains some nasty fillers.  Pure lump charcoal only for me.

Tried it, burns too unevenly. I'm +40 on the life expectancy so I go with what tastes good and is easy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Wouldn't think it would be a problem with charcoal they get so hot. I say this because I have a problem with trying to deal with how it gets so hot fast then slowly slows down, but it should be perfect for steaks.

• Like 2