How loud do you listen?

Zen Traveler

...Fwiw, I like to have a few nice ales when I am listening to multichannel music and concerts, but don't necessarily like to drink during movies.

An occasional Breckenridge Brewery Vanilla Porter seems to hit the spot when chilling with music. Maybe even a Highlands Brewing Company(Asheville) Gaelic Ale.

Sorry, had to piggyback on the Ale/music thing.

Bill

No need to apologize to me...Any thread I start can turn into an Ale appreciation thread. B) I have tried more than my share of wonderful ales and used to Homebrew until I found Belhaven Scottish Ale which ruined me---Now I also enjoy Smithwick's Irish Ale almost as much.

• Like 1

For music it's usually between 85db-90db... sometimes over 100db but not very often.

for movies it's usually between 90db-95db...

Cool...Just curious, how do you have your Bass Mgmt setup? Do you set a crossover and send the lower end to your sub, or LFE only? And lastly, is that 90 to 95 dB number include peaks? Thanks.

I would also be curious how others use Bass Management to achieve their SPL numbers...

Mine is pretty simple. I don’t use a sub for my 2 channel setup so the are both set to large full range. For my theater I send everything under 80hz to my subs and everything above to my THX speakers. I ran it that way with Mcacc on my pioneer elite and I run it that way now also with ARC. ARC is by far the smoothest running my theater has ever been. Simply amazing room correction albeit almost to tweak-able. Smithwicks is excellent Ale BTW!

For music it's usually between 85db-90db... sometimes over 100db but not very often.

for movies it's usually between 90db-95db...

Cool...Just curious, how do you have your Bass Mgmt setup? Do you set a crossover and send the lower end to your sub, or LFE only? And lastly, is that 90 to 95 dB number include peaks? Thanks.

I would also be curious how others use Bass Management to achieve their SPL numbers...

personally, I move my settings around until I find the balance I am happy with long term. that usually involves going from overly saturated to under saturated and back and fourth narrowing the range and settings (including EQ) until I get it at that point where it is working for a wide variety of things... This is how I got my Ref center to sound so good with my heritage fronts, adjustments. I do this twice for both HT and Music on two different channels.

I am still playing with my setup as I have made new additions, but currently I am at 50hz OX (I would prefer 60hz.. but pioneer is 50hz or 80hz) for Subwoofer and my speakers are set to large because the CW's are so good right now... this represents a skew more towards 2 channel as opposed to HT, but for me that is where the importance lies because that is where I have chosen to make my investments. HT is important, but secondary even though I can push peak 100db's+ for HT when watching a modern uncompressed movie.

I think my db number ranges from the above post are average and do not represent peak.

Edited by Schu

In another thread I was asked about my buying decisions when it comes to audio and after thinking about it decided to ask another question here: Does anyone keep track of how loud they listen to Movies and Multichannel music with an SPL meter or app? If you use Audyssey I started another thread here to see where folks listen compared to "0" or Reference Level: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148127-what-are-your-audyssey-settings-and-preferences/

O.K., I'm listening now, so I measured in my usual way, which is with "C" weight, "FAST" (to pick up some idea of the peaks) with a Radio Shack SPL meter (the one with the needle):

• Loud Beethoven passage with full orchestra: 101 dB @ 16 feet in a large room
  • Soft Passage: below 60 dB (meter goes to 10 dB below 60 -- it was hovering around -4 when set at 60, therefore about 56 dB)

To me, reporting averages with classical or modern orchestral music don't tell us much. Maybe they would with highly (and wrongly) compressed pop/rock/metal etc.

For movies, I sometimes get up to the 115 dB max (through the subwoofer - 105 through each main speaker) at listening position during outrageous moments. While all modern movies are supposed to observe the 115 dB limit at Main Listening Position when set up with Audyssey, some must turn the level way up, but use a limiter to prevent going over 115 at MLP, and therefore have many very loud passeges squished up against the recording ceiling. Other movies are recorded more sanely, but still have loud passages, which, if anything, are more exciting than the squished ones.

I'll answer the Audyssey/movie question here, because it seems in context here. For reasons too complicated to go into here, with my very efficient speakers (e,g,, Khorns @105 dB@1w@1M) I had to temporarily use attenuators to run (set up) Audyssey, while allowing for a full range of Audyssey's auto adjustment. Without the attenuators, Audyssey couldn't have set up the Khorns. Once Audyssey was set up, I removed the attenuators which were advertised, and which measured, 12 dB. Chris K., the CTO of Audyssey confirmed that now "0 dB" would be -12 dB on my volume control. We usually run movies at somewhere between -12 and -19, which on a normal sound system would be 0 down to -7 dB.

Edited by Garyrc

Lets be crystal clear on your issue:

Im in my man cave, my ears (at this time) are here>@ 22Watts class A Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzfD6XLK7Q

The wife unit comes in, scares the living chit out of me and after I calm down, hand her the Lagavulin16 she ask for, proceeds to pull up a chair.

Took me 35+ years to find a mare like this.

I'm going to try that malt now. I've been listening to the youtube on my Promedia 5.1, and am very happy. I am heading upstairs right now to pour some Scapa. :)

edit: I'm going to have to pass of the Lagavulin for now. I just found out the shipping alone is $49.14. I will see if it is carried at my local ABC store. They do have quite an extensive offering.

BevMo and TotalWine here in Calif, Lagavulin is . as they say 'Peaty' to the taste, $60 to $80 per bottle is a good price.

I tell everyone I hand a shot to, "Remember standing around a campfire burning Oak ? yeah, well your about to drink it.

how ever loud my lovely mrs.beeker allows. aint much usually. i caught a reading on my meter with my chorus ii the other day at 116db and was crystal clear. it is very very loud at about 7ft from the speakers. really tho it depends on what im listening too. about 85 db average i would say

• Like 3

Im in my man cave, my ears (at this time) are here>@ 22Watts class A Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzfD6XLK7Q

The wife unit comes in, scares the living chit out of me and after I calm down, hand her the Lagavulin16 she ask for, proceeds to pull up a chair.

I'm going to try that malt now. I've been listening to the youtube on my Promedia 5.1, and am very happy. I am heading upstairs right now to pour some Scapa. :)

edit: I'm going to have to pass of the Lagavulin for now. I just found out the shipping alone is $49.14. I will see if it is carried at my local ABC store. They do have quite an extensive offering.

BevMo and TotalWine here in Calif, Lagavulin is . as they say 'Peaty' to the taste, $60 to $80 per bottle is a good price.

I tell everyone I hand a shot to, "Remember standing around a campfire burning Oak ? yeah, well your about to drink it.

Update, just last night the wife came into the cave, between us we killed half bottle, jumping around youtube videos and of course cranking it. it seemed to get louder with every two drinks. im sure my neighbors heard Ricky Nelson like they never heard it before.

• Like 2

Update, just last night the wife came into the cave, between us we killed half bottle, jumping around youtube videos and of course cranking it. it seemed to get louder with every two drinks. im sure my neighbors heard Ricky Nelson like they never heard it before.

If it get's the wife into it and you had fun, then the loudness was just about perfect. :)

• Like 1

I'll answer the Audyssey/movie question here, because it seems in context here. For reasons too complicated to go into here, with my very efficient speakers (e,g,, Khorns @105 dB@1w@1M) I had to temporarily use attenuators to run (set up) Audyssey, while allowing for a full range of Audyssey's auto adjustment. Without the attenuators, Audyssey couldn't have set up the Khorns. Once Audyssey was set up, I removed the attenuators which were advertised, and which measured, 12 dB. Chris K., the CTO of Audyssey confirmed that now "0 dB" would be -12 dB on my volume control. We usually run movies at somewhere between -12 and -19, which on a normal sound system would be 0 down to -7 dB.

Thanks for posting and I would LOVE to have the space for K-Horns in Home Theater! I really appreciate you reporting what Chris told you about a different way of setting them up with the -12 situation and if you have a link to the discussion that would be great--I'm not questioning it as much as I would like it to be a reference for others. :)

We don't get to enjoy 85 db with 105 peaks since the baby came. I think we listen at about 70 db or so these days. Maybe even a little lower. Can't wait til she is old enough to enjoy movies with us!

Congratulations Vital! I definitely understand, however am about to watch Ronin on Blu ray to see how it sounds at Reference level---I remember the DVD being quite good, SQ-wise.

Edited by tkdamerica

We don't get to enjoy 85 db with 105 peaks since the baby came. I think we listen at about 70 db or so these days. Maybe even a little lower. Can't wait til she is old enough to enjoy movies with us!

Congratulations Vital! I definitely understand, however am about to watch Ronin on Blu ray to see how it sounds at Reference level---I remember the DVD being quite good, SQ-wise.

Thanks buddy! I remember seeing Ronin back in the day, good movie! I didn't know it was out on Blu-ray, let us know how it is.

Thanks buddy! I remember seeing Ronin back in the day, good movie! I didn't know it was out on Blu-ray, let us know how it is.

I found it at BBY for $8 along with some concerts so I thought I would pick it up given my wife was working....It was as good as I remembered it and it reminds me I need a new TV (sigh). That said I played Ronin at -2.5 on the MV and it hit peaks of 106 dB on the SPL meter, without it being too loud on quieter moments. It was excellent and the storyline is good along with the gunshots and the chase scenes going all around the room..

I then put in one of the concerts I bought--Rolling Stones Sweet Summer Sun in Hyde park and it seemed loud at -15 and I don't think it's going to be one of my favorites but it was nice seeing them play that venue again.

Edited by tkdamerica