Thread CRAPPING Honey Pot

Thaddeus Smith

i need help thinking this through. we don't have a fireplace, but I'm going to build a faux mantle on a wall to serve as a shelf year round + stockings in december. pretty much following this process, but don't have sufficient studs for 3 lag bolts to grip:  http://binkiesandbriefcases.com/build-floating-fireplace-mantle/

if I make three mount points in the 4x4, but go all the way through a wall and through a 2x4 with washers/nuts to effectively sandwich the wall, will I be secure enough? the other side of the wall is inside my media closet so the back end aesthetics aren't a concern.

I just want to make sure I'm thinking this through properly before I start punch holes in the wall.

If you have access behind the wall tack some plywood across the studs and use long machine bolts with large area (fender / skin) washers under the nuts to attach cleat. Or use two "J" hooks per stud, one on each side to attach mantle or cleat.

http://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0drpi

Trying to not compromise the studs integrity by boring all the way thru.

Edited by USNRET

If you have access behind the wall tack some plywood across the studs and use long machine bolts with large area (fender / skin) washers under the nuts to attach cleat. Or use two "J" hooks per stud, one on each side to attach mantle or cleat.

http://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0drpi

Trying to not compromise the studs integrity by boring all the way thru.

I know what I want to describe but having a had time doing so. Take a flat steel strap and form a U shape for around the stud but it'll have four 90* bends so that you have a leg on each side to drill holes thru to put the bolts thru.

post-19886-0-10240000-1416688862_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

I don't have access to the raw side. The wall is finished out on both sides, but the other side of the wall is in a closet so I was just going to run three bolts through the drywall with the 4x4 post and a 2x4 effectively sandwiching the wall.

Got it, should work. Could you use a shelf on the interior as well?

Not really. Are you thinking I should 4x4 on both sides?

No, I was thinking if you used a shelf on the inside as well you could sandwich the wall with cleats on both sides. If you don't want a shelf there then do your thing as described. BTW, I was recently turned on to french cleats and they are handy as all get out. I have my acoustic panels hung with them now instead of drywall anchors and screws to hang them on.

Some folks here might not know that light bulbs are really dark absorbers. You use the valve on the wall to open them, they absorb dark and when full you have to replace them with an empty one. The sun comes here late in the day to dump the darkness that it collected over THERE >>>>>

Does that make speakers "silence absorbers"?  

I don't have access to the raw side. The wall is finished out on both sides, but the other side of the wall is in a closet so I was just going to run three bolts through the drywall with the 4x4 post and a 2x4 effectively sandwiching the wall.

Are you going to be putting a shelf in the closet side as well?  If not, that will look like $hit on a white chicken.  Why not just open the closet wall up, install proper bracing and patch the drywall back?

• Like 1