How to drape interconnects

Thaddeus Smith

I cannot for the life of me figure out the right google keywords to get the answer I want. Do RCA's need to be relatively straight in order to avoid EMI or is it ok to coil them up? I have one pair of Vampire Wire SC IV (quad conductor, shielded, insulated) that is currently too long, but I'm hesitant to shorten them until I get my electronics and gear rack a little more settled.

Do RCA's need to be relatively straight in order to avoid EMI

Do you have a problem? Hum or buzz? RFI? If not, I don't think you have to do anything -- I have not picked up EMI even with very long leads, and they're straight as can be and come very close to A/C lines and an electric service entrance panel. They are well shielded, of course.

I've had them all coiled up and straight, and never heard a problem either way.

RFI is a different subject...

Why do you want to shorten them? You might not want to fool with re-terminating them if it spoils an excellent quality, good looking plug by the manufacturer.

Edited by LarryC

i have really sensitive speakers with a very efficient amp and potentially noisy source components. I hear a very slight noise when i put my ear up against the tweeter.. i guess it could be far far worse. More of a white noise sound.
OK, kind of sounds like "hiss" or electronic noise. I don't know if shortening or rearranging wires would affect that. I'd look more at gain-matching issues, such as too much gain in your amplifier. Do you have a gain control on your amp(s)? Try turning it down if you do.

i have really sensitive speakers with a very efficient amp and potentially noisy source components. I hear a very slight noise when i put my ear up against the tweeter.. i guess it could be far far worse. More of a white noise sound. Not a hum. Not a high pitched squeely noise.

Forget about it! Completely normal. In my book if you have put your ear up to the speaker to hear it your system is quiet.

• Like 2

i have really sensitive speakers with a very efficient amp and potentially noisy source components. I hear a very slight noise when i put my ear up against the tweeter.. i guess it could be far far worse. More of a white noise sound. Not a hum. Not a high pitched squeely noise.

Forget about it! Completely normal. In my book if you have put your ear up to the speaker to hear it your system is quiet.

Having fought these battles I would chime in that if you cannot hear the noise floor from your listening position its quiet enough and whatever is there that you cannot hear is not going to have an impact on SQ. My setup got so quiet that the tape hiss from the masters began to be noticeable, but as soon as the band began you never again noticed it, even during parts when the band was playing very softly. When the song ended and the next one started I would again notice the tape noise because the tape hiss went away briefly before the next song started.

Most of experience has been with HDMI and other digital interconnects. Now that I'm dipping my toe in 2-channel it seems like every little thing has potentially large impact. Now that I think about it, I guess this could easily be a case of "try both and report back".

You've been bit, get some ointment right away to make sure you don't travel too far down that rabbit hole to point where you can't enjoy the music anymore.

On a similar topic, if my salad fork is not perfectly aligned below the bread plate, I flip the @#$^!ing table over and stomp up stairs. Seriously how can one enjoy a meal under those conditions?

Ok, now you have gone and done it. Everyone knows there is no difference in salad forks. Bread plates on the other hand have been shown to have significant size differences given their diameter. IMHO :P

Most of experience has been with HDMI and other digital interconnects. Now that I'm dipping my toe in 2-channel it seems like every little thing has potentially large impact. Now that I think about it, I guess this could easily be a case of "try both and report back".

You've been bit, get some ointment right away to make sure you don't travel too far down that rabbit hole to point where you can't enjoy the music anymore.

which is why i ask such questions here and not on other "audiophile" forums. this group tends to be more pragmatic and typically does not spew endless amounts of :pwk_bs: