Peek-a-boo

Coytee

In the third picture (block walls) you don't easily see the wall on the left that was later knocked out to add another room. You can see that opening in the last picture.

Although I think I've finally gotten the wife out of "let's add onto the house" mode (done it twice now) she did recently say that "now that she knows what she knows.....she might be ready to build another house"

I took 4 nitro pills....

:blink:

• Like 1

Those are my rear channels. Only place I could put them and the wife was tickled that there was a stairwell there. I've moved the water heater and now that closet space is going to hide my 1979 LaScalas.

I've wired for sides but, doubt I'll ever use them. Wire is cheap.

Front will be the Jubilee's with JubeScala center mated with two Danley DTS-10's if I can hide them without her noticing... :unsure2:

All right, after being on this forum for a few years, and hearing you talk about your Lascalas, and Jubs. Its nice to see you finally working on your Home theater, looks like the both of us are finally getting around to building our theaters. Keep the pics coming.

• Moderators
Why yes, I do believe it's a LaScala!

Good deal, now go bust out some more walls to find the rest of the set.

Back in Knoxville! (actually, it's Greenback which is a bit south west of Knoxville)

What a coincidence considering your occupation, that you live in Greenback ! :o

Those are my rear channels. Only place I could put them and the wife was tickled that there was a stairwell there. I've moved the water heater and now that closet space is going to hide my 1979 LaScalas.

I've wired for sides but, doubt I'll ever use them. Wire is cheap.

Front will be the Jubilee's with JubeScala center mated with two Danley DTS-10's if I can hide them without her noticing... :unsure2:

Now THIS is really funny. I should stop by to check this out on my way to Detroit from Indy.

I bought both of the DTS 10's for about $2,500, assembled and delivered however, they are unfinished.

Now.... second test question....

Who's legs are hanging outside the closet?

Here's a picture of the back wall (legs included) and the closet to give an idea of what is being mudded.

post-12967-0-82480000-1395009102_thumb.j

post-12967-0-80560000-1395009114_thumb.j

Edited by Coytee

Thanks Coytee, that's pretty reasonable. I live close enough to them, I'll have to drop by Danley next time I'm over that way. I think with two, you'll have flat out awesome accurate horn loaded bass. Sadly, I don't have that much room for such a sub now.

PS: I like all the cat6 you ran. Those extra runs will come in handy if you want to use multiple HDMI baluns for other areas. More and more AVR's and pre-amps are offering zone 2 HDMI out, which I think is really neat.

I bought both of the DTS 10's for about $2,500, assembled and delivered however, they are unfinished.

Didn't know how I'd finalize things or what I'd need... so, I tried to cover for all contingencies.

Looking at the closet, look at it as four columns.

First column on left is for the front left speaker

Second column for center

Third for front right

Fourth is for things in the closet.

All the outlets are also dedicated to each speaker as per column. I've got four 20 amp circuits and each one controls a respective column in the closet (as well as outlets at each speaker location) Top plug on all outlets is switched and bottom plug on all outlets is hot.

All switched outlets are controlled by a gang of 4 switches at entry door.

Each speaker location has four runs at 50' each of Mogami Neglex. I had some Canare wire but, found it to be a pain in the butt to solder with relative to the Mogami so I pulled the Canare out and replaced it with more Mogami. So I have 600 feet of Mogami in there.

Each speaker location also has two runs of 12g speaker wire so I can (if need be) run them from an amp in the closet although I don't think it will ever happen that way.

I also have 2 runs of Cat-6 to each speaker location including a run of four Cat-6 to the center location in case I ever try or need to do HDMI over Cat-6.

Then, there are the two 45 foot runs of HDMI that go from the closet to the center location.

My wife rolled her eyes until I asked her if she preferred instead, for me to just wait & see what I needed and then run them along the floor....

Edited by Coytee

What do you mean to run cat6 over HDMI, can you use cat6 for hdmi cables. I ran 3 1" conduit lines from the equipment room, to 3 different locations, 1 for a tv on one wall, 1 for another tv on another wall and 1 for the projector. Did I not need 1", could I have gotten away with just running cat6. Sorry to hijack just was reading your build and never thought of doing it that way.

Yes, one cat6 is enough, but having conduit is great! Google HDBaseT. It's a standard for transmitting HDMI content over ethernet, along with network traffic, serial and IR data at the same time as the 1080p 3D video signal, and it works very well!

I think monoprice.com sells some HDBaseT stuff now, but I haven't used it. Some of their baluns seem hit and miss. There's also cheaper options that require two cat5 runs. The one I use for a 75 foot run was made by key digital. I bought it wholesale and on closeout, but it was still a few hundred bucks. Normally, I think the nicer key digital baluns run $400-500 (dealer cost).

EDIT: forgot about monoprice redmere cables too, which are great for shorter length runs in conduits as they are many times thinner. I use these too as they put less stress on connectors versus what a heavy 30 ft HDMI cable would.

Edited by etc6849

Duder, I'll admit I don't know much about the HDMI over Cat. I was advised to do it and had a spool of Cat-6 already laying around so it only cost me the effort.

I have the Cat-6 wires in boxes and have covered them with drywall since I don't think I'll ever need them. If I do, all I'll have to do is cut the hole & pull the existing wires out. Meanwhile, they're completely hidden from view.