Altec Midrange Horn System - Transform your Klipschorns !

Cut-Throat

Altec Horn System – Transform your Klipschorns

Complete Midrange Swap for Klipschorn. Biggest Improvement I made in Audio in over 30 years when I Installed these. $1700 Firm takes all. The Horns alone have been selling up around $1300 a pair on E-Bay, without the $500 Custom Paint Job these have. I have put a lot of Labor into this System. See this E-bay Listing for just the Horns, no Compression Drivers! Sold for $1381.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-1005B-horns-mint-A5-parting-out-/141150480318?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20dd3967be

What’s included.

1. Pair of Altec 1005b Horns with Throats and $500 Custom Paint Job from an award winning Custom Motorcycle Paint Shop. (Not a do it yourself Spray Job!)
  2. Pair of Altec 288-16K Large Format Compression Drivers with perfect diaphragms.
  3. Pair of Dean Wescott Designed, Modified Klipsch Type “A” Crossovers with Premium Parts – Litz Coils, Crites Autoformers, Obliggato Gold Premium Capacitors, Cardas Binding Posts – Mounted on 100% Paduak Wood.
  4. Altec Horn Mounting Brackets and Stands, and mounting Bolts and Nuts.
  5. Pair of Custom 100% Solid Oak Klipsch Tweeter Frames (Tweeters not Included)

All you have to do is remove your ‘TopHap” from your Khorns.. Mount the Altec Horns and Khorn Tweeter on a new board and tweeter frame. Then Hook up the Crossover and Plug in your Amp. Picture below (Before Horns were Painted Gold) showing how Stands support Driver and Horn.

I am only selling this Altec System, because I have ‘upgraded’ to an Oris Horn System that cost me about $6 Grand. I happily lived with the Altec Horn Midrange for 8 years.

I would prefer local pickup, as I do not have any shipping materials for this system. But if someone is willing to pay for Professional Packing and Shipping at a UPS store, I will ship to the U.S. or Canada. The Drivers are Massive weighing in at 30 pounds apiece! I am located in the Minneapolis - St. Paul area of Minnesota.

IMG_4960_zps9fc774b3.jpg

IMG_3108_zps09d40431.jpg

IMG_4968_zps017c158b.jpg

IMG_4964_zps30c227fc.jpg

IMG_4963_zps69c1ea70.jpg

IMG_0412_zps2f1f1cc5.jpg

Edited by Cut-Throat
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Bump for Cut-Throat!!

I've had the privledge to audtion Cut-Throats system with these mods and it sounds fantastic. If you are looking to experiment with K-Horn mods, this is the one you must buy!!

And the seller is, as Jacksonbart would say, Top Notch!!!!!

Thanks

JJ

Edited by DoubleJ
  • Like 1

heres a poor shot of my last horn system, which consisted of edgar mid bass horns, edgar seismic subs, and oris orphean top horns

This was great fun setting up, some serious road trips for these goodies, Georgia, N. Carolin, New York, New Jersey, Chicago, Cleveland, New Hampshire to name a few...................

post-14548-0-41080000-1401052858_thumb.j

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 2

You've taken a road less traveled... So wish you were closer... Love hearing systems that well thought out.

Justin,

You are certainly welcome to my place anytime, if your travels take you through Minneapolis. I had a lot of help from Dean G in rigging up the Crossovers!!

heres a poor shot of my last horn system, which consisted of edgar mid bass horns, edgar seismic subs, and oris orphean top horns

Those Subs are huge !! .... They must have shook the foundation of your house ! Did you ever have your Orpheans Painted ? Or did you leave them as they came?

Cut-Throat, What drivers did you go with on your Oris horns ?

I went with the 'Orphean System' which comes with the Drivers and Crossovers. From the Oris Website....

BMS 4592ND/8 (the pair)
BMS 4592ND/8 pdf_icon.gif

Modified, matched as pair and prepared for use in our Orphean system curing some inherent problems from the stock BMS drive units resulting in cleaner and less resonant output.

These drive units can also be used within other applications and other horns than the Orphean suitable to adapt 2" co-axial compression drivers.

The Orphean MkII crossover can then not be used as these are designed specificly for use in combination with the Orphean.

• Like 1

Cut-Throat, What drivers did you go with on your Oris horns ?

I went with the 'Orphean System' which comes with the Drivers and Crossovers. From the Oris Website....

BMS 4592ND/8 (the pair)

BMS 4592ND/8 pdf_icon.gif

Modified, matched as pair and prepared for use in our Orphean system curing some inherent problems from the stock BMS drive units resulting in cleaner and less resonant output.

These drive units can also be used within other applications and other horns than the Orphean suitable to adapt 2" co-axial compression drivers.

The Orphean MkII crossover can then not be used as these are designed specificly for use in combination with the Orphean.

Very Nice ! I look forward to getting my Oris horns up and runnimg before long.

Those Subs are huge !! .... They must have shook the foundation of your house ! Did you ever have your Orpheans Painted ? Or did you leave them as they came?

they were painted pearl white, the seismic were literally the size of refridgerators, interestingly though Edgar rated them at 35hz, no real chest thumping but good tight clean bass

the mid bass came in at about 80 hz and went up to about 220 as memory serves, the rest was orphean, heres a pic of the full edgar before i added the oris

post-14548-0-63800000-1401059697_thumb.j

Edited by joessportster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Horns have been sold on e-bay, So I am now parting out the rest of the stuff. Here are the Altec 288-16K Drivers for $600 for the pair.

Pristine Pair in perfect working order. These Babies are heavy at over 30 lbs. apiece, so shipping will be fairly expensive. $75 Shipped to anywhere in the U.S.

See, my other ad for the drivers.

Pic1_zps6403c8df.jpg

• 11 months later...