How can I make even a measly 3% interest with a guaranteed investment?

JL Sargent

2.75 or thereabouts on ten year US bonds. Over 3 if you go 30years but you will be locked in for a long time because the value of the bonds will drop when rates rise. If you are fine with 3.5 but have to hold and forgo being able to invest in a higher rate later then there you have it. The are other ways but not at the same true guarantee, Richard has already pmed about it.

Buy longer debt.....

Seriously, guaranteed investment products aren't money makers, even if you wanted to tie your money up for a decade or three. Even then, all usual debt products are subject to interest rate risk, which can put you in a pickle if early liquidity becomes an issue. IMO, look at short BB rated bonds. Stick to a maximum of two year maturities. Also, you might want to check out some preferred stock that is paying a decent dividend and has a consistent track record on the equity pricing. You want state backing? Check out some tax free school bonds, yields are much lower, but you get to skip out of state taxes and the G.O.'s (general obligation) are usually backed by the state taxing authority.

Refer to original post and tell me how ATT is a guaranteed investment.

It's not guaranteed, however I thought that the by saying "Take a jump...." it would imply that.

Nothing anymore is truly guaranteed.

"If you like your doctor from your current plan, you can keep him......"

Nothing ever has been. So on a relative level, when someone asks about a guarantee, they probably don't mean take a jump.

When do we ever act on a relative level here with any subject?

Edited by Boxx

Guarantee. I don't believe that exists, playing stocks now days sure seems very risky to me. I am not a conspiracy theorist but sure do believe it is falsely built up now

I keep hearing how much better unemployment is, and how the economy is improving. I sure don't see it when i look around. I still see businesses closing there doors, people laid off, prices going up...............sure have seen no improvements around me............

I personally Know people that yeild much better profits by investing in hard goods

Could have passed it with flying colors. My derivatives courses had test questions taken straight from the exam. Yes, I made A's. Why does a US bond pay more than a CD and is more flexible? If rates rise you can stay with both but if rates decline you are still stuck in the CD unless you pay a penalty. With a bond you can cash out at a premium. Ask your favorite banker. You'll probably find him on the golf course.