oris horn with drivers

joessportster

This is interesting. I've seen these horns but have never heard them and have always been intrigued. I wonder how these compare to the Klipsch 402 horn that everyone seems to love.

These are not comparable. The K-402 is 1) meant for a compression driver 2) operates over a different bandwidth, 3) higher efficiency, 4) constant directivity. It really is a different beast and the would be used in a different system design.

This is interesting. I've seen these horns but have never heard them and have always been intrigued. I wonder how these compare to the Klipsch 402 horn that everyone seems to love.

These are not comparable. The K-402 is 1) meant for a compression driver 2) operates over a different bandwidth, 3) higher efficiency, 4) constant directivity. It really is a different beast and the would be used in a different system design.

thank you for your pointing this out. i too was interested in comparison with the 402 indeed. i am actually ever so happy to have an invite for the oppurtunity to listen with a very avid horn user soon with the demo of the 402 included. he as well with his multitude and beyond of experience with horns let alone other audio has notes and diagrams that i hope to understand the comparison in mind as well as his direction to where the best demo for the oris and others would be made(although what is proven fact holds more steady to me and may over run other brand/model demos). still not being biased, i find klipsch to lead my way with a bit of jbl, ev and of course oris and few others in my road/s for a 3 way likely active venture to understand what is possible to do in my future

blair has a buyer

I would have bought them if I could buy them without the drivers :-)

Blair Might separate if you ask him but I'm sure he would want more as seperates, His price IMHO is a screaming good deal, I took a look at buying a stock pm4a and they are more than Blair is asking for the package...........and the drivers sound fantastic, none of the dreaded lowther shout

How you been Dhar, Still rocking the home brew JBL's

Joe

Yea I bet, I just received an email from Blair his buyer's Wife said "NO" so they are available again which Kills me, I had resigned myself that they were sold so I wouldn't get them, Now I will be wracking my brain again in an attempt to figure out how to get them

Joe

If you get them - I'll just be happy they stay local :-) - perhaps down the line if you decide to sell them, and timing works out for me, then I would purchase them (although there is no excuse for me to purchase additional speakers).

I noticed that he has Zu-Audio speakers in the background as well - I wonder how they compare.

Edited by dkalsi

Yup, understand they are different but was wondering how the comparison would be sound-wise. The constant directivity helps. I think I would prefer having that with the K402. I have seen people use the Oris with a Khorn bass bin. I don't know how low a K-402 goes and if it could be used with a Khorn bass bin or not (assume it can't), but I would think you could certainly put an Oris horn on top of a Jubilee bass bin. How would that compare sound-wise to the K402 with the Jubilee bass bin?

JMON,

IMHO, the Oris has quite a different sound than the K402. As you can see by what I run in my system, I preferred the sound of the Oris. I know many here would disagree with my assessment and that's fine. I spent several years searching for a sound I liked and auditioned four Jubilee systems, including Roy's in Hope. I really wanted to buy the Jubilee system and almost did. However, the K402 just was not what I enjoyed, so I kept searching and eventually went back to the system that caught my fancy more than any other. I ended up ordering a new Oris from Bert simply because I could not find an Oris in the states at the time.

If you live near North Texas, you are welcome to audition my very humble setup any time. I don't have fancy amps or drivers any longer.

I agree that the K402 and Oris are totally different systems, but feel that you ask a valid question. Simply, how do they sound in a listening room? Needless to say, the Oris would likely be very poor in an auditorium or an outdoor venue. However, for an average sized room, I think they are superb. Of course, YMMV.

Edited by Rudy81

I have got to get by your place on a trip thru Rudy.

Any one of you is welcome any time as long as I'm not traveling for work. Beverages will be provided. I am grateful for the many members that have allowed me to listen to their systems and helped me learn and build systems. Just returning the favor. B)

Dang Joe, I was glad when they were sold as you first thought, so I could stop being tempted. :wacko: Wish they were closer so I could pick up those 7ft. woofers with the Oris horns to complete the set.

You are tempted, hell I struggled even letting the forum know they were available at all, When Blair contacted me again stating the buyer backed out, I was back and forth again

I could not help myself and I am attempting to work out something with Blair, I have no where to store them, no where to set them up, no way to use them, but I have seen that Oris rarely show up anymore used and if I can get a superb driver and horns already painted for close to the price of horns and shipping. I have to try, I will lay them on my side of the bed and take the couch if I can work it out

Rudy is being exceptionally humble. His home, system, and hospitality is superb. ;)

Thank you sir. BTW, have you hooked up the DBBs yet?

Oops, sorry for the OT comments...... :wacko:

No sir. I fell into a pair of '83 Cornwalls that fit better in my room for the time being. Holding onto the cabs until I can find a larger room or come across someone that could use them immediately.

JMON,

IMHO, the Oris has quite a different sound than the K402. As you can see by what I run in my system, I preferred the sound of the Oris. I know many here would disagree with my assessment and that's fine. I spent several years searching for a sound I liked and auditioned four Jubilee systems, including Roy's in Hope. I really wanted to buy the Jubilee system and almost did. However, the K402 just was not what I enjoyed, so I kept searching and eventually went back to the system that caught my fancy more than any other. I ended up ordering a new Oris from Bert simply because I could not find an Oris in the states at the time.

If you live near North Texas, you are welcome to audition my very humble setup any time. I don't have fancy amps or drivers any longer.

I agree that the K402 and Oris are totally different systems, but feel that you ask a valid question. Simply, how do they sound in a listening room? Needless to say, the Oris would likely be very poor in an auditorium or an outdoor venue. However, for an average sized room, I think they are superb. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks for the offer. I used to live in the area and still make it out there on occasion. I may take you up on that offer the if I end up having some free time the next time I'm in the area. I'll get in touch if so.

As far as the horn, I'm sure it is a matter of personal preferences as you suggest in which case I'm simply going to have to listen to them with my own ears.