Well, I know what I'll be doing this summer.....

jimjimbo

Picked up a pair of very rough shape 1982 Cornwall's today from out in the middle of nowhere Indiana....200 miles, each way.....But, scored them for a song, so I think the drive was probably worth it overall. Cabinets look awful (CBR), some mice made a nest in one of them and trashed most of the paper liner, the crossovers don't look so great, one of the mid range horn drivers looks like there is a plastic piece on it, which is cracked in two places, etc, etc. I will post pictures when I recover tomorrow from the drive, but this will be a fun project for me this summer (in addition to yard work of course). No doubt I'll be asking lots of questions....thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I have toyed with the idea for my next set of speakers to find the worst cosmetic shape speakers I can source and maybe even rough them up more and keep all work restricted to internals so they look horrible but sound wonderful.

Anyway, great score and congratulations on your new speakers.

Edited by Schu

Similar here with my $50 Chorus. Cabinets were very beat and one woofer had a tear in it. I used black tissue paper and rubber cement on the front and back of the woofer and it has worked great. At some point I'd like to put new veneer over the cabinets or just paint them black.

1" cornwall... walls... sound interesting. I am not sure non horn loaded LF section would be able to take advantage of that stiffness, but I am sure some on here would be able to tell us for sure.

One thing that has been mentioned in other threads is a slight redesign/modification to the cross over based on wall stiffness.

Edited by Schu

WOW, you must have gone pretty far south to drive 200 miles each way. Got any pics? Congrats.

It seems like there are a lot of us Hoosiers on the forum. Can't wait to see the complete refurb on the speakers.

Your avatar is awesome!

As these were birch I believe the outer layer was actually part of the process of fabricating the plywood which when peeled off left the glue, I am thinking under that glue is going to be an ugly filler used to make up the thickness of the ply, In my experience the plywood is made of alternating layers of wood in other words the grain will run vertical, horizontal vertical, horizontal etc... until enough layers are used to make up the final thickness baltic birch ply will have a nice birch veneer on the outside only, the inner layers will have all manner of defects and I seriously doubt will look very good

as far as getting the glue off I would suggest trying Goo Gone but be prepared for a tedious PITA job,

If these were mine and veneering scares I would seriously consider buying 1/4" plywood and cutting panels for the top and 2 sides and glue that on then sand any imperfections on the surface / edges. Finish that to choice and be done

Good luck with the project

Joe

Edited by joessportster

I am not sure non horn loaded LF section would be able to take advantage of that stiffness.

Crank up your Cornwalls good and loud and put your hand on a side panel...you can almost feel them breathe... Do the knuckle tap test on a side panel...there is a little thud with that ring when tapped.

Of course another inch of plywood around the cabinet will stiffen things up, and so will internal bracing. OTOH, one is getting away from the "house" sound of a Cornwall with these applications, IMO.

Should have seen my k-horns yours look nice compared to what I started with. You can fill those missing veneer areas and then veneer easy. Fill with min wax wood filler sand edges square and sides smooth then use iron on veneer or contact glue. I used iron-on on my LaScalas worked fine I think. Rick