24 bit dac question

davis419b

Am I missing something here, Don clearly states that he has a 16 bit dac and is attempting to play a 24 bit file, If his dac is indeed a 16 bit dac only It will not play a 24 bit file

so foobar /jriver/ wmp/ Itunes, none of those will help unless you are trying to use the player to convert the file, which is a very confusing process for the novice and even the somewhat skilled

wouldnt the easiest thing be for Don to load his harddrive with 16 bit files that he mentioned, or buy a cheap dac that supports 24 bit,

Don said the builder set up the system and told him his dac is basically out dated

This link shows a picture of the back of the dac stating that the usb port will do 24 bit.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/media/dacmagic-100-top-tips-english-double-page-spreads-1395331415.pdf

The system on the computer is Windows 7 home premium

OK, maybe the Dragonfly instructions for Windows 7 will help point the way:

1. Go to Start/Control Panel
  2. Open Hardware and Sound
  3. Select Sound
  4. Select D/F as default audio playback device -- the D/F is added as one of the "Speakers"
  5. Click Properties, click the Advanced tab
  6. Select best rate , e.g., 24 bits 44100 Hz
  7. Click both options for "Exclusive mode"

Ugh! -- good luck!

Edited by LarryC

3. Select Sound
  4. Select D/F as default audio playback device -- the D/F is added as one of the "Speakers"

Ugh! -- good luck!

Just another stupid question because this is really stretching my brains capability ! Is there a chance that by messing around with settings that I can screw up what is already set up for this system ?

The system on the computer is Windows 7 home premium.

Go to control panel, sound, playback and see what's checked.

The only thing checked is Realtec Digital Output / high definition audio default device

That sounds like your sound card, what are the other options under sound devices

Just clicking on settings trial and error isn't a good idea. Your DacMagic is capable of playing your files up to 24bit/192khz. The Realtec audio is your built-in audio... not your DAC. I'm assuming you have the DAC connected via USB to a working USB port. If I remember correctly my DacMagic showed up as "USB DAC" or something similar. If you select USB DAC all your system sound will be diverted to the DAC.

Foobar2000 is a little more complicated than some player applications but it works well. You need to set the output correctly within Foobar. I'd be glad to send you some screen shots tonight of proper settings if you would like to PM your email address to me.

The DacMagic is a nice DAC! Having seen some of your systems I assume you will probably take a step up from there at some point but that is a great start!

The system on the computer is Windows 7 home premium.

Go to control panel, sound, playback and see what's checked.

The only thing checked is Realtec Digital Output / high definition audio default device

That sounds like your sound card, what are the other options under sound devices

It says Speakers / Nvidia hdmi output / and Speakers again.

One thing that keeps sticking in my brain is that even though in the link I posted it plainly shows a pic of the back saying it will play 24bit the manual says 16-24bit** and when I go to the bottom to see what the astrics mean it says 16bit for usb.

3. Select Sound

Ugh! -- good luck!

It's not showing up there.

• Moderators

Sounds like the computer is just not outputting to the usb from the way you all have narrowed it down?

This is about as funny as someone trying to explain it to me, it's no fun.

Edited by dtel

You might have to select "internal speakers" unless you are connecting your DAC to external speakers, i.e., to your speakers' amplifier.

Sorry I can't zero in on this better. The D/F seems to be rather automatic, so I only had to follow the above instructions on both my Mac and the PC.

Edited by LarryC

Is the DAC power cord plugged in, and the device turned on?

Yes but like I said I could NOT really tell a difference when I first bought it and plugged it in. It is set to usb. Maybe I should try the other one as I have 2 of them.

Edited by davis419b

Sounds like the computer is just not outputting to the usb from the way you all have narrowed it down?

This is about as funny as someone trying to explain it to me, it's no fun.

I have got SMOKE coming out of my ears trying to take all of this in as every bit of it is way over my head but I really thank everyone for trying to help me with the problem. I just hate buying a piece of gear and not being able to listen to it and this wasn't cheap.