Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

Just as a side note while Youthman dials is his stuff

I haven't done any adjustments, simply plug and play using the same auto calibration settings from the RF-83's.

I remember how amazed I was at the sound coming from those older looking clunky wood boxes.

I've always disliked the look of the "older" Klipsch speakers but the more I listen to the, the prettier they get. LOL I'm still surprised at how a 24 year old stock speaker can sound better than a modern day speaker. I guess I've finally tasted the Heritage Koolaid and me likes the taste.

If you don't have Audyssey, or something like it

I've never owned a receiver with Audyssey. Yamaha YPAO and Harman Kardon EZ Setup is what I have had. Not sure how they compare to Audyssey.

wake just go pro cinema buddy! Three kpt-325's across the front. And if you google image the kpt-904, bills son photoshopped one and have it grills and a top hat. It would look awesome out in the open. And I'm sure you could veneer them or something!!

The way his custom setup is, he has to go with a center channel no larger than the RC-64ii behind the screen. No room underneath the screen for a center.

what i loved most about the la scala was the horn bass. I was in love with the way the bass just SOUNDED

So far, that's my least favorite about the LaScala. Again, currently it is way out in the middle of the room so that might change once I put it up against the front wall.

Get your self a nice horn sub and you will be in a different world.

I'm going to follow up with the local Danley Dealer tomorrow. He was supposed to call me back on Monday but I'm thinking he forgot. I'm going to get a quote on a single or 2 DTS20 and then I will see if he might be interested in bartering for Custom Website Design as his website really looks dated and is likely using old coding and when I tried to email him through is Contact form on his website, it kicked back and error and would not send. I've bartered for a lot of stuff so hopefully he will be interested.

If you compare the price of a new La Scala to a modern Klipsch (excluding Heritage) you will see that in today's dollars the La Scala is still a more expensive speaker. The changes over the years have not been that drastic either IMO, hence why a 20 year old speaker can sound better. Your advantage with the older ones is people decide to go more modern or whatever other reason they have for selling, and you reap the benefits of a really great sounding vintage speaker.

Here is what we need for the ultimate in Home Theater speakers....

The LaScalla 7ii.

Lascala%207ii.jpg

Wake you need to build this now!!

Wrong on so many levels. So much of the Lascala magic is in the bass horn. A subwoofer will give low bass which is admittedly missing. I think this idea does away with the best part of the speaker. What everyone wants to improve is the squawker horn and then the tweeters on Scalas.

• Moderators
you compare the price of a new La Scala to a modern Klipsch (excluding Heritage) you will see that in today's dollars the La Scala is still a more expensive speaker. The changes over the years have not been that drastic either IMO, hence why a 20 year old speaker can sound better. Your advantage with the older ones is people decide to go more modern or whatever other reason they have for selling, and you reap the benefits of a really great sounding vintage speaker.

That makes sense. I didn't think about the fact that the MSRP on the LaScala II is $7000 a pair. Yeah, that's a HUGE increase over the current RF-7ii. Never thought of it that way.

Wrong on so many levels. So much of the Lascala magic is in the bass horn.

I wish someone would let me hear this "magic" cause I'm not hearing it. :D

A subwoofer will give low bass which is admittedly missing.

That I totally agree with.

What everyone wants to improve is the squawker horn and then the tweeters on Scalas.

To my ears, that's what makes this speaker shine.

• Moderators

Just wondering, I sometimes loose track of thing I was reading here and couldn't remember if that was one of them. I have to say I am still impressed with mine, amazing output for that size drivers.

• Moderators
I made mashed potatoes. Ha no, its waiting patiently for the the room to get done, or for me to get another amp.

Just wondering, I sometimes loose track of where I have been reading and thought I missed it.

• Moderators
I have to say I am still impressed with mine, amazing output for that size drivers.

Are you referring to the LaScalas in general or the folded bass horn? Nevermind....you edited your post.

Edited by Youthman

you compare the price of a new La Scala to a modern Klipsch (excluding Heritage) you will see that in today's dollars the La Scala is still a more expensive speaker. The changes over the years have not been that drastic either IMO, hence why a 20 year old speaker can sound better. Your advantage with the older ones is people decide to go more modern or whatever other reason they have for selling, and you reap the benefits of a really great sounding vintage speaker.

That makes sense. I didn't think about the fact that the MSRP on the LaScala II is $7000 a pair. Yeah, that's a HUGE increase over the current RF-7ii. Never thought of it that way.

Wrong on so many levels. So much of the Lascala magic is in the bass horn.

I wish someone would let me hear this "magic" cause I'm not hearing it. :D

A subwoofer will give low bass which is admittedly missing.

That I totally agree with.

What everyone wants to improve is the squawker horn and then the tweeters on Scalas.

To my ears, that's what makes this speaker shine.

Maybe we need to deal. K400s are really building up in my storage room. You might be surprised at how much of the mid range you like is actually coming from the bass horn. play the speakers with just the mid and tweet hooked up and report back.

• Moderators
You might be surprised at how much of the mid range you like is actually coming from the bass horn. play the speakers with just the mid and tweet hooked up and report back.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I guess I assumed the bass horn was playing.....bass. They are definitely magical, I was just thinking everyone was referring to things like the sound of drums from the folded horn. I might just unhook the woofer from the crossover to see if that's where the "magic" is coming from. I thought it was from the huge midrange horn.

• Moderators
wish someone would let me hear this "magic" cause I'm not hearing it.

Ok back to where I wanted to go before I messed up.

I didn't hear much bass from the LaScala's until I had a chance to give it a little power, the room may not allow this to happen ? After setting them up try just 2 without the sub with fair volume, maby try listening by the back of the room to get a little further away ?

I have these plans for some Lascala risers which increase the folded horn bass by a ton, but there is only room for the L & R in your room, the center would have to be normal Lascala, It raises them 16.75" . :emotion-14:

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
You might be surprised at how much of the mid range you like is actually coming from the bass horn. play the speakers with just the mid and tweet hooked up and report back.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I guess I assumed the bass horn was playing.....bass. They are definitely magical, I was just thinking everyone was referring to things like the sound of drums from the folded horn. I might just unhook the woofer from the crossover to see if that's where the "magic" is coming from. I thought it was from the huge midrange horn.

That's a great idea. :emotion-21:

It's a perfect way, my speakers crossover in the same place and it's surprising how much midrange is from the bass bins.

• Moderators
I didn't hear much bass from the LaScala's until I had a chance to give it a little power

I would think my 200 x 7 Sherbourn is providing plenty of power to them. Again, I'm simply comparing the amount of bass I'm hearing from them compared to the RF-83's and they just don't compare in that department. Strangely, when playing Hotel California, when the conga comes in, the bass is very thin from the LaScalas and is very full with the RF-83's but when I put in Nora Jones, the upright bass is very full and sounds fantasticly smooth with the LaScalas. Could it be that the Conga frequency is maybe a null in my room whereas the upright bass in Nora Jones is not?

the room may not allow this to happen ?

Maybe so. I also have not yet re-run my room calibration in the Harman Kardon yet. That might change it for the better too.

maby try listening by the back of the room to get a little further away ?

I'll likely get some bass reinforcement from the back wall too.

I have these plans for some Lascala risers which increase the folded horn bass by a ton

Someone mentioned that in another thread. How is it that by raising them up higher, you get better bass? With most speakers, you get the most bass on the floor and closest to a corner.

• Moderators
Maybe so. I also have not yet re-run my room calibration in the Harman Kardon yet. That might change it for the better too.

I would think possibly a big change being the speakers are so far apart as far as design. But the LaScala may have a little less bass but it should be very tight

Someone mentioned that in another thread. How is it that by raising them up higher, you get better bass? With most speakers, you get the most bass on the floor and closest to a corner.

I thought the same thing ?

I was just kidding about the risers, it's plans for single MWM's :emotion-14:

Don't laugh about that crazy idea, I use them in the yard. Split laScala top (copy) with AA crossovers on a mwm bottom, Lascala horns mwm bass same crossover point so it works.

• Moderators
I would think my 200 x 7 Sherbourn is providing plenty of power to them.

Uh Yes, enough to hurt people with laScalas in a room with that much power. I can't wait till you get them calibrated and have a chance to let them rip a little.

I do completely understand what your saying about comparing the bass, there going to be different, and probably both excel in different areas.

To me I like the idea of the LaScala's because no matter what, your going to have a sub anyway.

There really is not a wrong choice here and it comes down to what will make the best sound overall for music and movies to your ears.

• Like 1

Don't the LS go down to about 55hz and then fall off a cliff? 83s go down to around 30 so thats a big gap to miss. It will probably just take some time to get use to it.

I think he other problem is his setup was calibrated with the old speakers and he is still running the La Scalas with the old settings... Once he recalibrates with the La Scalas I think he will have more bass than he currently does but still not as much as he would like without a sub, but he has a sub so he should be fine.

• Moderators
Don't the LS go down to about 55hz and then fall off a cliff? 83s go down to around 30 so thats a big gap to miss. It will probably just take some time to get use to it.

I think that's just the case. Calibrating my sub with the LaScalas should help. If not, I guess I'll just have to upgrade my sub. :D