Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

• Moderators

Thanks whatever (that just sounds funny). :D

My room is 13', each LaScala is 24.5" wide. That puts the two outside LaScalas approx 107" (or 8.9') and the outside LaScalas are approx 41.25" (or 3.4') from the center LaScala.

My current screen is 103" and my LP is I believe 11' from the screen. I haven't finished calculating the new screen, size and distance etc.

Thanks whatever (that just sounds funny). :D

My room is 13', each LaScala is 24.5" wide. That puts the two outside LaScalas approx 107" (or 8.9') and the outside LaScalas are approx 41.25" (or 3.4') from the center LaScala.

My current screen is 103" and my LP is I believe 11' from the screen. I haven't finished calculating the new screen, size and distance etc.

Your speaker setup width will be about the same as mine... I have 14' to use for the width and my first row will be about 13' from the screen.

You guys sit far. I sit 9.5 feet away from 120" 16x9.

My screen will be 14' wide... which will be like 180" 16x9. I think if I sat 9' from that it would be too close... We will see when the HT is done. Right now with a 134" screen sitting 12' away it is a bit to far.

• Moderators

I should be around 150" at 11'. Hoping that isn't too close.

So tonight, my wife was hanging out with the ladies in our neighborhood so I had some time all to myself to sneak into the HT for some more LaScala time.

I put in the original Transformers and played my usual demo scenes. I'm finally beginning to see what all the Heritage Hype was about. Seriously I've never heard more detail, clarity and presence in any setup before. It's truly amazing how sound seamlessly gets handed off from one speaker to the next but it sounds like it's just one wide speaker. I haven't re-run my auto calibration software but I'm guessing my surrounds are way too low now due to efficiency in the LaScalas but even so, there is such an encompassing sound that simply wraps around you. The RSW-15 is doing fantastic keeping up with the LaScala Trio. Lots of chest pounding LFE during the opening scene with the helicopter pilot, the scorpion in the dessert scene and in the Ironhide flip scene near the end of the movie. One scene that really surprised me was the scene where they are all on the highway and the decepticons come up from behind and attack on the interstate. That scene has always been a good demo but this time, when the car skids, the tires are so crisp and detailed. When they transform, you hear every clank, ting and ratchet sound of the parts as they transform. There is just an overwhelming excitement from watching movies now that I'm thrilled and have absolutely no remorse over letting go of my beloved RF-83 / RC-64.

Next I put in Fast Five and jumped to the Bank Vault scene. Talk about an adrenaline, heart pounding experience. Again, just so much detail and when the cars and the vault pans from one speaker to the next, you cannot tell where the "handoff" is because it's such a smooth, effortless transition.

Another thing I'm really noticing is I turn up the volume to where I usually listen to and find myself having to turn it down. These seem to get very loud, very quick.

Many times I read that Reference = HT and Heritage = Music. I would like to state that I firmly believe these LaScalas sound fantastic for both music and for HT.

I'm now enjoying an entirely new experience in my HT. I wish you guys could all come over to hear what I'm hearing. I truly believe it's that good.

• Like 3

I should be around 150" at 11'. Hoping that isn't too close.

So tonight, my wife was hanging out with the ladies in our neighborhood so I had some time all to myself to sneak into the HT for some more LaScala time.

I put in the original Transformers and played my usual demo scenes. I'm finally beginning to see what all the Heritage Hype was about. Seriously I've never heard more detail, clarity and presence in any setup before. It's truly amazing how sound seamlessly gets handed off from one speaker to the next but it sounds like it's just one wide speaker. I haven't re-run my auto calibration software but I'm guessing my surrounds are way too low now due to efficiency in the LaScalas but even so, there is such an encompassing sound that simply wraps around you. The RSW-15 is doing fantastic keeping up with the LaScala Trio. Lots of chest pounding LFE during the opening scene with the helicopter pilot, the scorpion in the dessert scene and in the Ironhide flip scene near the end of the movie. One scene that really surprised me was the scene where they are all on the highway and the decepticons come up from behind and attack on the interstate. That scene has always been a good demo but this time, when the car skids, the tires are so crisp and detailed. When they transform, you hear every clank, ting and ratchet sound of the parts as they transform. There is just an overwhelming excitement from watching movies now that I'm thrilled and have absolutely no remorse over letting go of my beloved RF-83 / RC-64.

Next I put in Fast Five and jumped to the Bank Vault scene. Talk about an adrenaline, heart pounding experience. Again, just so much detail and when the cars and the vault pans from one speaker to the next, you cannot tell where the "handoff" is because it's such a smooth, effortless transition.

Another thing I'm really noticing is I turn up the volume to where I usually listen to and find myself having to turn it down. These seem to get very loud, very quick.

Many times I read that Reference = HT and Heritage = Music. I would like to state that I firmly believe these LaScalas sound fantastic for both music and for HT.

I'm now enjoying an entirely new experience in my HT. I wish you guys could all come over to hear what I'm hearing. I truly believe it's that good.

Does your auto calibration software EQ your speakers too... If so I would run it as you might get some of the bass you are missing as your setup was EQ'd with different speakers. Another thing is your front to rear balance will be much better. I think everything will sound even better once you calibrate them. When I calibrated mine it was like listening to a different pair of speakers.

• Moderators
Does your auto calibration software EQ your speakers too..

I don't believe so. I don't see any settings like I had with the Yamaha for PEQ and GEQ. It sets the normal distance, xover for each speaker, level etc.

Another thing is your front to rear balance will be much better. I think everything will sound even better once you calibrate them.

Yes, I will do that tomorrow.

When I calibrated mine it was like listening to a different pair of speakers.

I hope not....it's sounds so good now, not sure how it could sound any better.

• Moderators
Does your auto calibration software EQ your speakers too... If so I would run it as you might get some of the bass you are missing as your setup was EQ'd with different speakers. Another thing is your front to rear balance will be much better. I think everything will sound even better once you calibrate them. When I calibrated mine it was like listening to a different pair of speakers.

I would be doing this first, it should change everything.

Youthman are you ready for another change for the better ?

That could do it, you would not really seriously listen to the RF's without running it first. Right now it adjusted for the RF's, no telling what that is doing to the adjustments for a whole different speaker.

You know better, but your blinded by the big horn sound. :wacko::D

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Yeah if any eq at all they would be completely different. I once had my living room calibrated for my rf-42ii theater and hooked up my 63's to demo for someone and couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong. They sounded like tinny garbage. Later I realized. Re ran It and boom that was it. Now, if no eq, shouldn't matter.

• Like 1

Does your auto calibration software EQ your speakers too..

I don't believe so. I don't see any settings like I had with the Yamaha for PEQ and GEQ. It sets the normal distance, xover for each speaker, level etc.

Another thing is your front to rear balance will be much better. I think everything will sound even better once you calibrate them.

Yes, I will do that tomorrow.

When I calibrated mine it was like listening to a different pair of speakers.

I hope not....it's sounds so good now, not sure how it could sound any better.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you calibrate them. One thing to remember... It will turn down the level so you will most likely have to turn it up a little more than you do now. Your reference level will still be "0" if "0" is what it is set for.

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators
u know better, but your blinded by the big horn sound.

I'm guilty...I'm guilty! Honestly, I just haven't had much time lately. Tomorrow morning I'll make time and post my thoughts. If it messes it up, I'm going to be mad. Haha

Now, if no eq, shouldn't matter.

I looked in the manual and it didn't mention anything about EQ.

All this talk about Audyssey has got me thinkin.......must resist.....be content.....LOL

• Moderators
I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you calibrate them.

If so, I will be pleasantly surprised. I guess it's just hard to think that they can sound even better than they do now. I've never really raved over a speaker as much as I feel about the LaScalas. Even when I bought the RF-7ii's, they are fantastic speakers but I wasn't like "Oooooooh and Ahhhhhh" over them.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you calibrate them.

If so, I will be pleasantly surprised. I guess it's just hard to think that they can sound even better than they do now. I've never really raved over a speaker as much as I feel about the LaScalas. Even when I bought the RF-7ii's, they are fantastic speakers but I wasn't like "Oooooooh and Ahhhhhh" over them.

What I found with my setup is that it smoothed out a little of the honkyness of the horn. I never had that when I had my first set, but where I am now the set did have it. When I had them in the room (after Audyessy), and turned them up they sounded just as awesome cranking as they did at a whisper.

Which reminds me... I am running the KP3002s with my La Scala settings with Audyessy.

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators
When I had them in the room (after Audyessy), and turned them up they sounded just as awesome cranking as they did at a whisper.

You guys have me wanting to run calibration tonight......but I'm patient. It can wait till tomorrow morning.

• Moderators
I guess it's just hard to think that they can sound even better than they do now. I've never really raved over a speaker as much as I feel about the LaScalas. Even when I bought the RF-7ii's, they are fantastic speakers but I wasn't like "Oooooooh and Ahhhhhh" over them.

I just LOVE when this kind of thing happens !

• Moderators
When I had them in the room (after Audyessy), and turned them up they sounded just as awesome cranking as they did at a whisper.

You guys have me wanting to run calibration tonight......but I'm patient. It can wait till tomorrow morning.

Y

• Like 1

• Moderators

Does it hurt or take a long time ? :ph34r::P

If it's family I understand :emotion-55:

Sorry someone has to give you a hard time, at least we didn't say I told you so !

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
Y

Because everyone is asleep. My wife is a light sleeper. Once the sub rumbles.....she'll be up and she has to run 6 miles at 4:30am so I'll let her sleep.

If it's family I understand :emotion-55:

Yup, that's the only reason.

Sorry someone has to give you a hard time, at least we didn't say I told you so !

And I don't mind it at al dtel.

• Moderators
Because everyone is asleep. My wife is a light sleeper. Once the sub rumbles.....she'll be up and she has to run 6 miles at 4:30am so I'll let her sleep.

:D

I was just teasing, I had no idea.

But if it were me I would be up partying, why because 6 miles would kill me so I might as well live it up tonight. Not even counting the 4:30 am thing !