Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

It will be better when the speakers (either pair) are back a little more where they will end up.

I know. I was just telling willland tonight on the phone that the speakers are only about 5ft from my LP. 3' further away would be much better I'm sure.

At that range the LaScala's could part you hair with midrange and high freq.

We shall see. I will try some demo while sitting on the back row too to see how that sounds.

I still remember the first time I heard La Scalas... I was at RAF Lakenheath in 1980 and they had just gotten 3 pair in the day before... I saw them, and I asked the salesman if he would switch over to them when he was done demoing the pair currently being demoed. I was standing about 5' from them when he switched over to the La Scalas and it was right when they hit a mid bass note (I think it was the Radar Love track)... Well it felt like someone had just punched me in the stomach! I purchased the only pair that they had left on the spot which were the one day old demo La Scalas. :)

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators
You have more patience than I do... I would have been listening to them as soon as they were hooked up.

I did that but since wife was in bed, sub had to be turned off and not much gain on the receiver to really do any "real life" testing.

• Moderators
If we raise the LaScalas up so that the horn is midscreen will it really hurt the sound? Having the vocals come from the center of the screen seems to make sense. I expect the dispersion on those horns is more than sufficient that raising them another foot or more probably will not mater much. Since I have never heard the LaScalas I am hypothesizing. Someone with some first hand e

Any advice?

• Moderators

Seriously? I went to hook up the LaScalas and found out my 3rd channel on the Sherbourn isn't working. Light indicator on front panel does not come on for third channel.

Unhooked signal and speaker cables from channel 1 and the light for it stays on.

Hopefully it's just a blown fuse.

Gotta head to work so I won't be able to test it today.

Then there is the issue of finding a single LaScala for a center channel at a good price. That might take years???

Guess it didn't take as long as I thought it would. :P

Hey it wasn't even years in doggie years.

It was great to meet you and you have a beautiful home and theater and your RF 7II's sound awesome. I never heard a stock pair but those are very very good. They literally blow the RF 83's away in my opinion. It's really no contest.

Sunburnwilly I didn't have to throw it up on one shoulder and carry it in, Michael and his son did all the heavy lifting.

• Like 1

Seriously? I went to hook up the LaScalas and found out my 3rd channel on the Sherbourn isn't working. Light indicator on front panel does not come on for third channel.

Unhooked signal and speaker cables from channel 1 and the light for it stays on.

Hopefully it's just a blown fuse.

Gotta head to work so I won't be able to test it today.

that stinks. I hope it's something simple.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I like the way you think duder. :D

I came home for lunch and took a look. Amp is working again. Not sure what exactly happened. I unhooked the 12v trigger, switched the 12v to OFF, turned on the amp and all channels powered up. Switched it back to 12v, plugged in the 12v plug and all was working again. Hoping it was just a freak thing and doesn't happen again.

While I was home I figured I would do some quick demos. Put in my typical Book of Eli scene where they blow up the house.....holy cow! Detail, volume, clarity.....

Then a little Hotel California, Dave Mathews & Norah Jones. I was VERY surprised at how much I enjoyed listening with all 7 speakers. In the past, I did not enjoy the vocals coming from the RC-64 but with 3 identical speakers and the midrange horn, the sound was very immersive. Bass on Hotel California was not near as prominent as with the RF-83's but the bass guitar and upright bass was very deep with the LaScalas and RSW-15. Guessing it may be due to different frequencies of bass notes. I still need to re-run the auto calibration. It might just be that I'm now sitting in a null for those frequencies.

Well, I'm headed back to work (wish I could stay and play with my new toys some more). I think it's pretty clear that as much as I love the RF-83's, they are no match for the dynamics, clarity and vocal quality of the LaScalas.

One last thought, I actually found myself turning down the LaScalas because they got so loud (can't ever remember turning down speakers). Guessing that is from the 104db vs 100db sensitivity. LaScalas show 121db Maximum Output, RF-83's don't say.

A few songs from the iPhone through the AppleTV.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 identical speakers

Everyone kept telling me this when I was looking and I thought it's a good idea but they are just being overly sensitive to small differences like it can be here sometimes.

Well I was wrong and they were exactly correct, 3 identical across the front is perfect, it DOES make a big difference. I guess a center channel speaker is a compromise to fit in certain spaces and is no match for a perfect match.

• Like 1

• Moderators
I guess a center channel speaker is a compromise to fit in certain spaces and is no match for a perfect match.

I'm beginning to wonder that myself. The RC-64 & RC-64ii is the best center channel speaker I have ever owned....until now. I guess it was the case of "You don't know what you are missing". I'm trying not to be overly enthusiastic about them but I really do believe they are that much better than the RF-83's. Wake Junkie can't believe me either. LOL I'm not sure I would have believed it had I not heard it for myself.

Honestly, I bought the LaScalas with the intention of checking them out in my own home, with my own gear and sharing a comparison thread, take some nice photos and then find another happy owner for them. Well, this is one of the "very few" times I have been wrong in my life. :P

I can't wait to begin moving forward with rebuilding the false wall so I can get these behind an AT Screen.

• Like 1

I need to find an RF7ii that I can turn into a center channel speaker. No chance of me fitting LaScalas no matter what they sound like.

Youth keeps telling me how great they are and honestly I hope I don't like them as much as my 7ii's so there is no itch to scratch....

I always liked the 83's until I heard the 7's and 7ii's. To me they really knocked it out of the park. Are the LaScalla's really that much better than a stock set of 7ii's?

Wish I could A/B that.

• Moderators

When you come down, bring em and we will find out. If you don't want to do that, we can A/B with my DeanG RF-7ii's of bring your crossovers and we will swap them out. LOL. My guess is you won't need to bring them down to A/B....there's that much of a difference.

• Like 1