Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

• Moderators

Well I know Florida isn't really considered the "South" but I make some mean sweet tea. Usually 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups of sugar to 1 gallon. My son uses 3 cups when he makes it. :blink2:

They moved Florida :o

Wow 2 cups a gallon is really sweet to me, 3 cups and I probably couldn't blink I would be so high on sugar :P

• Like 1

• Moderators

Billy left this morning and is on his way to deliver the third LaScala from SC.

Wake modified the Sketchup to include the trio of Lascalas. We will continue to tweak it but here are the most recent renderings.

Klipsch-Lascala-Trio-Behind-AT-Screen1.j

Klipsch-Lascala-Trio-Behind-AT-Screen2.j

• Like 3

• Moderators

Needless to say, when Wake sent that to me, I got a big ole :D!

I'm thinking of having the black section underneath the screen fabric to allow sound to travel through. With the current design, the bass bin of the LaScala would partially be obstructed by the frame for the screen. My concern is if I were to raise the LaScalas to where it completely fit behind the screen, the horns would be way too high. I could flip them upside down but then I would lose even more bass from them and they already are somewhat lacking (IMO) in the bass department.

Suggestions welcome.

• Moderators

Wake was thinking of having the entire screen to slide up to the ceiling (maybe on a track of some sort) that would allow me to be able to reveal the LaScalas and to be able to cliimb into the wall.

The risers for the LaScalas will have an opening in the front that I can use as storage for audio equipment or for Media Storage.

dont know if this would work or not but what about building the risers high enough on the sides to put the subs under them? then make the center just as high? Dont know how your room acoustics are but its just a thought. It is something i thought about for my Theater since i have no room for a false wall but enough space on the sides of the screen and one of my la scalas would be burried beside one of the ends of the sectional.

• Moderators

McMira, if I'm understanding you correctly, that would put the bottom of the LaScalas slightly higher than the top of the RSW-15? Are you referring to all 3 the same height like they are now?

If I did that, again, I'm not sure how it will sound with the LaScalas being that high up in the air with the horns much higher than my ears. If I angled the LaScalas downward, again, I don't know how that would effect the sound since the sound is having to go through an AT Screen.

im just spitballing here. i have to raise mine over the end of the couch and was thinking of just running it upside down to see what happens. That keeps the HF cab on my splits still at ear level or slightly above. My screen is not as low as yours, about 40 inches from the floor, so my center would still be right side up under the screen. i just have no place for the subs so i was going to use them as the risers for the La scalas. This might not work. no clue. im not well versed in these things so i was just going to give it a try and see what happens. my only other option is to run a table tuba in the middle of the room, but i still have to lift the la scalas at the ends.

• Moderators
Yikes, that's going to sound really good.

Thanks Dean. I will find out tonight when I get all 3 LaScalas hooked up. My plan is to bring the RF-83's back into the HT, then put the RC-64 directly on top of the LaScala so that it's a fair comparison. I've never had the RC-64 at ear level, it's always been above my screen about 8ft in the air angled downward towards my LP.

To my ears, there was a BIG difference in dialog clarity and details when switching from the RC-64 as a center and using the single LaScala as a center. I just have not had the chance to hear 3 LaScalas up front working together. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it.

• Moderators
i have to raise mine over the end of the couch and was thinking of just running it upside down to see what happens.

That was my thought too...if I did decide to raise them up, flipping them upside down would allow the horns to be at ear level.

im not well versed in these things so i was just going to give it a try and see what happens.

I'm not well versed either as this is my first rodeo with an AT Screen, LaScalas and I've only owned one HT so I can't say I have much experience myself.

i have 4 la scalas, but only 2 have had the crossovers and tweeters redone and are being used for 2 ch. the third is unrestored but functional and the 4th needs new tweeter. I'm sure the it wouldn't hurt to recapp the second pair also. was thinking of putting them in the HT room just out of curiosity. Found a 5th one local but the guy keeps raising the price and has went from 550 to now750 for an unrestored LSI that looks rough. i swear. some peoples children!

• Moderators
That was my thought too...if I did decide to raise them up, flipping them upside down would allow the horns to be at ear level.

I doubt the difference in bass would really make any difference. For Ht the LaScala bass is really midbass and everything below that would be done by the subs anyway.

tragusa3 uses Danely dts 10 subs which can be used as risers or the spud by Danely for a shorter riser.

Either can be diy

Edited by dtel