Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

• Moderators

With my room being only 13' wide, there is definitely no room for wides. Honestly, I don't ever see myself moving beyond 7.1. In my setup, I'm not really sure the moving from 5.1 to 7.1 made any difference.

• Like 1

With my room being only 13' wide, there is definitely no room for wides. Honestly, I don't ever see myself moving beyond 7.1. In my setup, I'm not really sure the moving from 5.1 to 7.1 made any difference.

I agree youth. If they aren't discrete Chanel's I'm not interested in not into spreading out the channels with pro logic etc. nothing against those that like it. I'm not planning to move beyond 7 speakers unless Dolby Atmos integrates into pre amps with ceiling speakers. That may be neat. I didn't care for height speakers or wides when I tried them.

• Moderators
With my room being only 13' wide, there is definitely no room for wides.

Ok Youthman, you got me thinking, scary I know, since your room is not real wide do you really need to change your false wall ? I know you want a different screen that's fine.

With the room 13' wide and the width of the LaScala x 3 that does not leave much extra, do they really require tow in ? The horns shape would easily cover the room with sound even with just 2.

I'm not saying just go with 2 but with something to catch the first sound refelecting off the side walls tow in might not be a must ? I know it wouldn't be exactly perfect but would it really sound any different ?

Just wondering out loud, and probably building over would be best fit overall but it's just a thought.

Edited by dtel

Not sure. Let me tuck them behind the doors and see if they will fit. I'll post this evening when I get home

A center Belle might work better for you than a third La Scala.

Just sayin' one more time through boatload of posts on this thread! . ;-)

My son uses it more than I do to play games on the PS4.

Wait....you already bought him the PS4? Lucky son he is... ; )

BTW, how does the LasScala and RF-8 being near together sound like? I'm sure it sounds amazing, loud and clear, but is there any sign of timbre mismatch or sound anomalies?

You have one awesome home HT. When I win the Lottery, I'll have one as big as your HT. For now, I just look at your HT and dream... ; )

Edited by javelin

• Moderators

Wait....you already bought him the PS4? Lucky son he is... ; )have one as big as your HT. For now, I just look at your HT and dream... ; )

Not many handouts in our home. He does chores around the house and makes $15-$20/week. He saved up his money and we split the cost and he has purchased all of the games for the PS4.

My HT was built on a small budget. Many barter deals, craigslist finds and DIY really helped to keep the cost WAY down. I probably have less than 1/4th of retail invested in the entire HT.

BTW, how does the LasScala and RF-8 being near together sound like? I'm sure it sounds amazing, loud and clear, but is there any sign of timbre mismatch or sound anomalies?

I do not have the LaScalas and RF-83's connected at the same time. I have separate speaker cables run to each set and switch them out on the back of my amp to A/B between the two pair. I'm sure it would not sound good at all having a pair of LaScalas and a pair of RF-83's playing at the same time.

• Moderators
The horns shape would easily cover the room with sound even with just 2....I know it wouldn't be exactly perfect but would it really sound any different ?

Just wondering out loud, and probably building over would be best fit overall but it's just a thought.

I moved the LaScalas behind the doors on the side wall to see how they sound. Definitely very little toe in (if any).

I remember measuring a LONG time ago and knew the LaScala was the absolute largest heritage speaker that would fit behind the false wall. They squeezed in there with 1/2" to spare on all sides.

Klipsch-LaScala-6.jpg

Klipsch-LaScala-7.jpg

After closing the doors, I tested out a scene from Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon and then a few songs in 2ch and honestly, it didn't sound good at all. It sounded much better when I moved from my center chair to the side wall in front of a speaker. I'm guessing the sound is hitting the door on the way out and causing some bad reflections and the inside of each door is preventing the horn to have a wide dispersion as it could be if it was out in the open.

As you can see below, the "opening" in the doors are not the entire width of the doors. The guy that built the false wall made that section wide to support the weight of the door. Good for structure, but bad for acoustics. It limits how much I can toe in any speakers and anytime I put speakers behind the doors, it alters the sound. Honestly, I've always felt that the sound has suffered when I place my speakers behind the doors of the false wall. That's why I have been keeping the RF-83's out in front of the doors for some time now. Plus it is nice to be able to look at their beautiful cherry finish.

TheaterRoom1.jpeg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

Yes speakers really should not be put behind walls, I don't even like to have grills on my mains so I get the best sound.

I think if you switch to the LaScalas you need to at least do a little modifications to the wall, the LaScalas need more toe in and nothing in front of them.

Maybe you could modify the side doors and center door so the speakers can be exposed?

Possibly the side doors could be shortened removing the bottom portion and maybe either eliminate or modify the center door section and bring the LaScalas out just a little from the wall so nothing is in front of them to reflect and they can get a little more toe in.

Edited by Rich_Guy
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Do you have room behind the screen? It looks like you might be able to put them behind the screen, and at the screen height... You would just need an AT screen and be done. :)

Not with the present false wall. I have 23" from the very back wall to the edge of the screen. I could move the screen forward a few inches if needed as it is held against the wall with bungee cord for easy removal.

I don't think they would sound good the height of the screen as the horn and mid horn would be way above ear level. Maybe if I flipped them upside down?

false-wall-space-1.jpg

false-wall-space-2.jpg

false-wall-space-3.jpg

Do you have room behind the screen? It looks like you might be able to put them behind the screen, and at the screen height... You would just need an AT screen and be done. :)

Not with the present false wall. I have 23" from the very back wall to the edge of the screen. I could move the screen forward a few inches if needed as it is held against the wall with bungee cord for easy removal.

I don't think they would sound good the height of the screen as the horn and mid horn would be way above ear level. Maybe if I flipped them upside down?

false-wall-space-1.jpg

false-wall-space-2.jpg

false-wall-space-3.jpg

You could angle them down aiming toward the MLP... I think that they would sound fine then Moving the screen a few inches wouldn't be hard I think and would not detrack from the look I think. I would move the screen about a foot to account for the speakers being angled downward. You would have to dummy the speakers in position to figure out exactly how far to move it... Unless you are good at Descriptive Geometry. :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Maybe you could modify the side doors and center door so the speakers can be exposed?

Possibly the side doors could be shortened removing the bottom portion and maybe either eliminate or modify the center door section and bring the LaScalas out just a little from the wall so nothing is in front of them to reflect and they can get a little more toe in.

I have already considered that on numerous occasions. The "doors" have always been a hindrance to the sound. When we were building the false wall, it took the guy about a month to bring the doors over so I was able to put the RF-83's slightly in front of the false wall and toe them in perfectly. Once the doors came, I couldn't toe them in as much and the sound wasn't as good in there.

But even if I removed the bottom 1/2 of the door, I still don't think I would be able to toe in the LaScalas due to their width and depth. The RF-83's would be fine because I have done that before.

• Moderators

You could angle them down aiming toward the MLP... I think that they would sound fine then Moving the screen a few inches wouldn't be hard I think and would not detrack from the look I think. I would move the screen about a foot to account for the speakers being angled downward. You would have to dummy the speakers in position to figure out exactly how far to move it... Unless you are good at Descriptive Geometry. :)

Not sure how that would effect the sound shooting through an AT screen. Honestly, if I'm going to go through the trouble of getting 3 LaScalas, I'm going to build a bigger screen. LOL

• Like 1

I can see moving to LaScalas is about to get expensive quick.

I started with La Scalas. After a few months, I replaced the caps and tweeters with Sonicaps and CT125s. That did not cost much, and both changes improved the sound noticeably.

It got expensive really quickly when I went to JubScalas (Jubilee tweeters and stands, Dx38 processor, 2nd power amp to match the one I already had, plus cables), but I have no regrets. The improvements put the speakers in a whole new league.

The upgrade was worth every penny, and even after six years with the JubScalas, they still impress me.

Edited by Islander

But even if I removed the bottom 1/2 of the door, I still don't think I would be able to toe in the LaScalas due to their width and depth.

I think you could get the toe in if the LaScalas were pulled out just a little further into the room, hard to tell by the pics maybe I'm wrong.