Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

You are correct dtel. After thinking about it this morning, I told the potential buyer I wanted to take some time to do some A/B comparison and to think on it some more before I even consider selling the 83's. I'm in a good position because I don't need to sell either but really have no "need" to keep both.

I want to even do some A/B comparison between the RF-83 and the DeanG RF-7ii. "If" I prefer the LaScalas over the 83's and "If" I prefer the DeanG RF7ii, then the obvious choice would be to sell the 83's.

I may find I don't want to sell the 83's. I even have the option of selling my son's RF-7's and moving either the RF-83 or RF-7ii into his bedroom. Lots of options...none of which would be a "bad" decision.

My build thread is in my signature. Here are the first pics of the cabinet as it was being built.

You wouldn't need to build a false wall if you make the whole wall a screen. The screen can be hung by the ceiling that swings up. So basely you lift the screen from the bottom like a brief case but all the way up. When i did mine i thought about getting a fixed screen (being they cost way less). And thats how i was going to set it up if i did go that way. If you haven't already look at some of the AT builds with a fixed frame. Some open like a door and some just come off all together. I like the idea to open it like a car hood myself.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good idea. I only have about 5ft from front of the wall to the front of my chairs. Would just have to do some measuring to make sure it would "open". I don't think I could go entirely wall to wall though....

According to the Calculator Pro at projectorcentral.com, if my throw distance is 15', the max I can achieve is a 138" diagonal (currently a 103") which would be 10.5' wide (currently 8' wide). My room is 13' wide.

Just not sure the 1200 lumens will cut it. I can see moving to LaScalas is about to get expensive quick.

• Like 1

Good idea. I only have about 5ft from front of the wall to the front of my chairs. Would just have to do some measuring to make sure it would "open". I don't think I could go entirely wall to wall though....

According to the Calculator Pro at projectorcentral.com, if my throw distance is 15', the max I can achieve is a 138" diagonal (currently a 103") which would be 10.5' wide (currently 8' wide). My room is 13' wide.

Just not sure the 1200 lumens will cut it. I can see moving to LaScalas is about to get expensive quick.

Bigger boarder to fit the extra space

Holy Heritage, Batman . . . I mean Youthman . . .

Depth of a center La Scala an issue? Let us not forget the beautiful and sonically matched and measurably less deep possibility of a center Belle! A center Belle will save 5 3/4" in speaker depth in your center.

In both my setups, I employ a center Belle . . . one between La Scala fronts in the home office, and one between K-horns in the HT (along with side Belles and rear La Scalas, not to forget the four Herseys for wides and heights).

Long live the center the center Belle! I recommend keeping it on your possibility radar. ;-)

You are correct dtel. After thinking about it this morning, I told the potential buyer I wanted to take some time to do some A/B comparison and to think on it some more before I even consider selling the 83's. I'm in a good position because I don't need to sell either but really have no "need" to keep both.

I want to even do some A/B comparison between the RF-83 and the DeanG RF-7ii. "If" I prefer the LaScalas over the 83's and "If" I prefer the DeanG RF7ii, then the obvious choice would be to sell the 83's.

I may find I don't want to sell the 83's. I even have the option of selling my son's RF-7's and moving either the RF-83 or RF-7ii into his bedroom. Lots of options...none of which would be a "bad" decision.

My build thread is in my signature. Here are the first pics of the cabinet as it was being built.

You wouldn't need to build a false wall if you make the whole wall a screen. The screen can be hung by the ceiling that swings up. So basely you lift the screen from the bottom like a brief case but all the way up. When i did mine i thought about getting a fixed screen (being they cost way less). And thats how i was going to set it up if i did go that way. If you haven't already look at some of the AT builds with a fixed frame. Some open like a door and some just come off all together. I like the idea to open it like a car hood myself.

We are going to be doing our screen wall like that... 14' wide x 8' high screen wall hinged off of the ceiling for when we need to access the speaker area.

you could hinge the sides of the screen so when you lift it up you can move it forward and out. When the screen is down you would never know it was hinged on the sides.

If your room is in total darkness (except for projectior spill) you might be O.K. We have a Seymour 130" wide (width, not diagonal) 2:35:1 Acoustically Transparent screen, and a Panasonic projector about 23 feet away. No problem. We carry flashlights into the totally dark seating area, just in case someone needs to slip out. Seymour will send you a sample of their fabric to test for brightness.

You don't want to be too close to an AT screen, or you may detect the fabric weave. We have no problem at about 12 feet, or closer, when we walk up nearer the screen to focus (before showings).

3 La Scalas, with a sub, should be great for HT, as are our 2 Khorns, and modified Belle center. A horn sub (which we don't have) would be awesome.

Edited by Garyrc

You could get a BenQ w1070... 2000 lumens. I am using one with a 134" Jamestown screen and it is great. You don't even have to have the lights completed off to watch. I am sitting in our Family room typing right now with the projector in ECO mode and over 3000 hours on the bulb and the picture still looks good.