Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

Ok I got it! Move the 83's and 64 in sons room. Sell the 7's locally. Sell the black 64 to jweber cause he needs one to match the 63's I sold him. Then you keep your babies. (You'll regret selling them if you have to think about it that hard trust me I know!) la scalas have a new home behind your new falsewall and bigger screen after you fly wake in to do some crazy cool work for free.

And yes that's a selfie when I had my super stache!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Funny thing is all of those scenarios have crossed my mind. :D I told my son I have so many options and all of them are good options. Just trying to figure out which is the best option.

My RC-64 is cherry, the RC-64ii is black and that is definitely staying. ;)

Do you have room behind the screen? It looks like you might be able to put them behind the screen, and at the screen height... You would just need an AT screen and be done. :)

I don't think they would sound good the height of the screen as the horn and mid horn would be way above ear level.

Our Belle Klipsch center (very similar to the La Scala) is behind a Seymour AT screen, with the tweeter about the same height as the flanking Klipschorns (about 50.5 "), but aimed down. It measures about the same in the high frequencies as the Klipschorns, as long as we are using the Audyssey Reference cinema roll-off (-2 dB @ 8K, - ~~ 5.5 dB @ 16 K). I know Audyssey is having a chance to compensate for any frequency response problems, but compensate it does, which is why I like it.

• Like 1

Funny thing is all of those scenarios have crossed my mind. :D I told my son I have so many options and all of them are good options. Just trying to figure out which is the best option.

My RC-64 is cherry, the RC-64ii is black and that is definitely staying. ;)

if you kept the cherry 83's you wouldn't keep the matching center?

Ok I got it! Move the 83's and 64 in sons room. Sell the 7's locally. Sell the black 64 to jweber cause he needs one to match the 63's I sold him.

No, bad idea. ;) Loan the RF-83's to willland(me) for about a month so he can do some comprehensive A-B testing against his RF-63's for music. :D I am pretty certain the 83's will have the edge for HT but not convinced they can trump the 63's with 2-channel music. :unsure: In the interim time, find a "Youthman deal" on a single La Scala to complete the front soundstage. Then you will be convinced either way which way to go, and my guess would be the La Scala triplets. By then willland(me) would have plenty of time to make up his mind. Sell the 63's and buy the 83's, give back the 83's so you can sell to another interested party, or willland(me) would keep both and use the 63's for 2-channel and the 83's for HT.

Wait, if willland(me) picked the third option, he would have to sell some other goods to pay for the 83's. What to do? :unsure::D

Bill

Edited by willland

No, bad idea. ;) Rent the RF-83's to willland(me) for about a month so he can do some comprehensive A-B testing against his RF-63's for music. :D I am pretty certain the 83's will have the edge for HT but not convinced they can trump the 63's with 2-channel music. :unsure: In the interim time, find a "Youthman deal" on a single La Scala to complete the front soundstage. Then you will be convinced either way which way to go, and my guess would be the La Scala triplets. By then willland(me) would have plenty of time to make up his mind. Sell the 63's and buy the 83's, give back the 83's so you can sell to another interested party, or willland(me)I would keep both and use the 63's for 2-channel and the 83's for HT.

Wait, if willland(me) picked the third option, he would have to sell some other goods to pay for the 83's. What to do? :unsure::D

Bill

Not bad willand(you), but let me just add a little suggestion, note editing in my quote above. :):P

• Like 1

I have a pair of LSI's sitting in the garage and it just occurred to me, one of the cabinets is fully functional. Maybe it's time I rolled it and my working ones into the theater room to see what all this fuss is about!

IM GONNA TOSS THIS IN FOR WHATS ITS WORTH. I UNDERSTAND THE DESCRETE THEATER LOOK ALTHOUGH...

THEM LASCALAS LOOK GREAT RIGHT OUT IN THE OPEN!! AS WOULD A CENTER CHANNEL 'HERESY'!!! TRUST ME A 'HERESY' AT CENTER WILL BE PERFECT!

• Like 1

The horns shape would easily cover the room with sound even with just 2....I know it wouldn't be exactly perfect but would it really sound any different ?

Just wondering out loud, and probably building over would be best fit overall but it's just a thought.

I moved the LaScalas behind the doors on the side wall to see how they sound. Definitely very little toe in (if any).

I remember measuring a LONG time ago and knew the LaScala was the absolute largest heritage speaker that would fit behind the false wall. They squeezed in there with 1/2" to spare on all sides.

Klipsch-LaScala-6.jpg it may be better to end up leaving the 83s in their spot behind the false all and do something else with the lascalas?

Klipsch-LaScala-7.jpg

After closing the doors, I tested out a scene from Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon and then a few songs in 2ch and honestly, it didn't sound good at all. It sounded much better when I moved from my center chair to the side wall in front of a speaker. I'm guessing the sound is hitting the door on the way out and causing some bad reflections and the inside of each door is preventing the horn to have a wide dispersion as it could be if it was out in the open.

As you can see below, the "opening" in the doors are not the entire width of the doors. The guy that built the false wall made that section wide to support the weight of the door. Good for structure, but bad for acoustics. It limits how much I can toe in any speakers and anytime I put speakers behind the doors, it alters the sound. Honestly, I've always felt that the sound has suffered when I place my speakers behind the doors of the false wall. That's why I have been keeping the RF-83's out in front of the doors for some time now. Plus it is nice to be able to look at their beautiful cherry finish.

TheaterRoom1.jpeg

Edited by Youthman

Yes, I'm not sure by the pictures if they would be too close to the seats or not but my preference is the speakers not be in the wall at all. Personally I didn't really understand why you stuck them in the wall.

I love the look of the speakers and they always sound better in the open and not buried in a false wall.

For the same reasons you don't see the front speakers in the movie theater. It provides a clean, finished look. I just did not realize that it would impact the sound

I also love te clean cut look for a theater. If you keep the lascalas I'd figure a way to do an AT screen even though the speakers are beautiful I like the look of your theater with the wall in place. It looks very professionally and gives a finished look to you private theater. Edited by MichaelandKlipsch
  • Like 2

I think part of the magic of any good theater is not knowing where the sound is coming from. It helps make the content more immersive. Couple that with proper room acoustics (treatment) and remove any light pollution and you are immediately throw into the movie

• Like 1

I'm going to throw in my vote and tos one in the hat for the full AT screen wall :) if I lived closer I would come help you do it but I don't find myself making trips down your way much anymore.

I agree. I would rid of the baffle wall or mod it to make it work with the La Scalas, and go with a full AT screen wall... Then just mask the screen with acoustically transparent black material.

I think part of the magic of any good theater is not knowing where the sound is coming from. It helps make the content more immersive. Couple that with proper room acoustics (treatment) and remove any light pollution and you are immediately throw into the movie

Couldn’t have said it better. my THX speakers disappear into a black ceiling and when the lights are out other than a few amp lights I have it pitch black and it is an incredible experience. I’m pretty sure Youth’s setup with speakers concealed and lights out is a similar experience I have always loved the look of his room but he will have to decide what he wants. Like he said he has a ton of great options and has 2 Lascalas, a RF83 theater, RF-7ii 2 channel setup, and his son has RF-7 + RC64 setup he is a well-rounded Klipschonite at this point and can go into any darn room of his house and be in good hands

• Like 1